Inverted Miranda

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Inverted Miranda

Post by el gato »

patrickivan wrote:But I really like this version of the Miranda. One thing I'd do differently though is move the built up aft hull section to the underside of the saucer. But that's just me. I really like the nacelles above, but they really wanted something to be visually distinct from the Enterprise, eh?
Honestly, it's taking me a long time to accept Federation ships could have nacelles underneath. To me that's the look of a Klingon ship
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

el gato wrote:Honestly, it's taking me a long time to accept Federation ships could have nacelles underneath. To me that's the look of a Klingon ship
LOL! LOL! LOL!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

I'm still amused by the fact that they forgot to give it a deflector, but remembered to give it deflector flow sensors.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Greyryder wrote:I'm still amused by the fact that they forgot to give it a deflector, but remembered to give it deflector flow sensors.
A Camel is a horse created by a committee.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Greyryder wrote:I'm still amused by the fact that they forgot to give it a deflector, but remembered to give it deflector flow sensors.
Agreed! Although I still love the design it bothers me a lot that it doesn't have a deflector!

:shock:
Thanks,

Yan.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I

SEE

NO

DEFLECTORS!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

¿? They did?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Digging something else a couple days ago I bumped with this:

It's an excerpt from the Shane Johnson book "Star Trek: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise" (refit).

It says that the recessed lines in the saucer are the "deflector grid". If we consider it as true I can guess that actually what we think as being "panel lines" along the whole ship hull is in fact the deflector system. Said that the stuff at the front of the Engineering hull would be something like a secondary and stronger deflector able to concentrate a bigger amount of energy and even beam it (as we have seen the Galaxy and Intrepid classes do some times either in TNG and VOY).

Since the Miranda class has a very similar saucer configuration to the Constitution class it seems logic to me that the same recessed lines is its "deflector grid" either.

Actually it does much more sense for me that the deflection system be along the hull than located in a small piece in the front of the ship. One can say that the dish will disperse the space dust from the front of the ship while in warp speed, but seems more logical to me that this dispersion happens all around the ship (like a force field) to protect the hull from debris coming from any direction even when the ship is stopped.

In this case, actually, the Reliant wouldn't lack of a deflector system but only of the secondary piece (the dish or whatever we can call it).
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Navigational Deflector
The navigational deflector (also known just as the deflector, the deflector array, the deflector dish, the main deflector or the nav deflector for short) was a component of many starships, and was used to deflect space debris, asteroids, microscopic particles and other objects that might have collided with the ship. At warp speed the deflector was virtually indispensable for most starships as even the most minute particle could cause serious damage to a ship when it was traveling at superluminal velocities.
https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Navi ... _deflector

Deflector Grid/Shields
Deflector shields operated by creating a layer, or layers, of energetic distortion containing a high concentration of gravitons around the object to be protected. On starships, the shield contained six sections, forward, starboard, port, aft, dorsal, and ventral. (Star Trek Nemesis) Shield energies could be emitted from a localized antenna or "dish", such as a ship's navigational deflector, or from a network of "grid" emitters laid out on the object's surface, such as a starship's hull.
https://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Deflector_shield
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Thanks gents. I guess I assumed the bands around the edge of the saucer were sensors and the grid on the saucer were for defensive purposes. Didn't occur to me that they were more for deflecting space dust. Makes sense, though

Return to “Trek Art”