Shaw's artistic endeavors

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Shaw's artistic endeavors

Postby Max Nex » Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:38 am

"In Thy Image" is another effort that is very well done.
kinda makes me want this rather than the TMP Enterprise for "The Motion Picture"

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:35 pm

Thanks!

This is the more extensive set of images...

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

And then there are the behind the scenes shots too (ya know, from the DVD extras)...

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:41 pm

The Enterprise that almost was.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Outstanding.

I love the dry dock (I have a Jeffries pic of TOS E in it at my desk). And can't believe I never saw that test pic of the Enterprise sporting the orange nacelle caps! You can just see the tips! I love it.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:05 am

Thanks!

Umm... just a heads up, those are all shots with my Phase II Enterprise photoshopped into the images. Here is a comparison to the original images...

Click to enlarge

Here is my promo booklet for In Thy Image...

Click to download (PDF, 4 MB)

Enlarged version of cover art

... the images on pages 8 and 9 are of Don Loos and Brick Price working on the original studio model. That model was only united with the space dock once, early on when the parts were far from finished (they used two copies of the port nacelle for the test assembly). By the time they delivered the nearly finished Enterprise model TMP was started and all of Magicam's models had been scrapped. Magicam (being part of Paramount) got the contract to make all the models (including the Enterprise) this time effectively shutting out Price and Loos.

It would have been nice to have seen some additional shots of the Phase II Enterprise near completion, but by the time it made it to Paramount the guys from both Magicam and Robert Abel and Associates had trash talked the quality of the model so much that no one bothered to take any photos of her... she went straight into storage after that (to become a donor model for other projects).

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:18 am

Other projects- such as being blown up in Search For Spock/Search for Cash.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:23 am

Shaw wrote:It would have been nice to have seen some additional shots of the Phase II Enterprise near completion, but by the time it made it to Paramount the guys from both Magicam and Robert Abel and Associates had trash talked the quality of the model so much that no one bothered to take any photos of her... she went straight into storage after that (to become a donor model for other projects).

True that. The Phase II E doesn't get enough love. Personally, I can see this version as a refit of the TOS. The version that showed up in in the movies is an entirely different ship from the TOS Constitution Class. Maybe there's a turboshaft that was left over from the TOS E, but that's it.

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:44 pm

Shaw wrote:Umm... just a heads up, those are all shots with my Phase II Enterprise photoshopped into the images. Here is a comparison to the original images...

This just cleared up a lot of questions I was having. I was POSITIVE the Phase II studio model wasn't finished. Holy hell, your skills are amazing, photoshop and modeling. Anyone in Hollywood trying to hire you (If you don't already work in the industry)? I know there's a fella on Starship Modeler who used to make huge studio sized models (and sold a few casts) who was snatched up by ILM.

el gato wrote:The version that showed up in in the movies is an entirely different ship from the TOS Constitution Class. Maybe there's a turboshaft that was left over from the TOS E, but that's it.

I like to think some of the spaceframe for the saucer, "neck" and secondary hull were used from the show's ship. I know the shape (especially the secondary hull) was changed, but the suspension of disbelief might be necessary, especially with the refit-Enterprise.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:53 am

DefiantClient wrote:
el gato wrote:The version that showed up in in the movies is an entirely different ship from the TOS Constitution Class. Maybe there's a turboshaft that was left over from the TOS E, but that's it.

I like to think some of the spaceframe for the saucer, "neck" and secondary hull were used from the show's ship. I know the shape (especially the secondary hull) was changed, but the suspension of disbelief might be necessary, especially with the refit-Enterprise.

Yeah, I like to think they stripped her down to bare framework, and cut or extended things where necessary. Despite the differences in shape, the refit was built on the "bones" of the original.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:00 pm

I'd also like to think they built the refit on the bones of the TOS E, but everything's off: The saucer's wider, the engineering hull thicker, even the angle of the neck is different. The refit overall is a little bit bigger everywhere, except for the length of the nacelles (those are the same). There's no way you can build a refit out of a TOS Connie. Again, maybe they reused a turboshaft, but that's it. Unless, maybe they melted down the metal to cast the new frame
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Trek Art”