Getting started

If you just want to chat with other newbies or basic skill level modelers about the hobby.
mophius
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Getting started

Postby mophius » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:23 pm

Looks like the TOS cadet series will be the first to get to me. I think I will tackle the Romulan Bird of Prey first then the D7. I will finish off with the Enterprise as I will want to get that more perfect. I know I should say that about all of them but seeing as I haven't built up a model in nearly 20 years I think I should practice a little first.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

mophius
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby mophius » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Ok, today went to Machine Mart, as it is next door to where i work, and bought a few tools.
Mini files, tweezers, mini pliers set and micro drill bits. Didn't really need the micro drill bits yet but they shouted to me.
I am now ready for delivery which should be tomorrow for the TOS set and Wednesday for the rest. Well I still need glue, putty and paints but ready to start the part clean up process.

Imgur

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Welcome to the forum Mophius. I'm sort of the Newbie section "denmother" so to speak.
I'm hear to offer advice and encouragement to those new to the hobby or to those with some prior experience who've been away for awhile and are looking to relearn and/or expand their skill set.
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say welcome to the gang, you'll find the members here to be cordial and always willing to offer constructive advice and criticism.

OK. So moving along, the Cadet series ships are a great way to get into (or back into) sci-fi modelling; they are really fun and affordable subjects to build.
When you get around to building the three TMP ships you might enjoy these threads covering my own builds from start to finish:

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3356

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3355

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your work with these great little sacred scale ships.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

mophius
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby mophius » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm

Thank you trekriffic.
While i do have prior experience it is nearly 20 years since i took on a plastic kit. That was also with the patient help of my dad who did most of the decals and painting.
I feel now that i have mastered patience, having a daughter has helped me learn, and that I could step up and take on a kit myself. I was going to take on a larger scale ship, maybe 1/1400 or so, but she said about the lack of display space in our tiny home. I then looked up different scale models, which was when I found this site, and saw that 1/2500 was a perfect fit for our little home.
I also found that I forgot to buy something at the toolshop. Craft knife/scalpel set. A must for chopping up the decals.

Imgur

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:54 am

Go ahead and grab a good knife with replaceable blades, not one of those black handled "just make do knives".
And grab a pack of blades too! Nothing worse than realizing your blade is dull as dirt and the hobby shop is closed!
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:38 am

Hossfly72 wrote:Go ahead and grab a good knife with replaceable blades, not one of those black handled "just make do knives".
And grab a pack of blades too! Nothing worse than realizing your blade is dull as dirt and the hobby shop is closed!

agreed, if you can afford it - get a box set, multiple handle sizes and different blade types. Bonus if you get one that holds them in place for you

micro drills and a good hand drill as well - great for drilling windows

spru cutters, if funds allow (otherwise, a sharp pair of wire cutters to get smaller parts off of sprus)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:51 am

I found an alternative to sprue cutters! Cheaper! Women's nail clippers! The curve even makes em handier..
what can I say? The wife threw em away and I was too cheap to buy a real pair... hey! Whatever works!

Micro drills! Even if ya don't drill windows! Helps with drilling a hole for the stand every time. Cadet series doesn't put a hole there... at least I dont think they do...

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:55 am

You REALLY need to do a build log too! With pics.. cause I cant build right now due to micro-decal syndrome..
ie- I'm somehwat cross eyed from decalling my latest ship.

mophius
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby mophius » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:04 am

Ok first delivery is in. Now I have to explain it to the wife
Attachments
DSC_0001.JPG

Imgur

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:47 pm

Well, it was nice meeting ya! LOL

Return to “Newbie Modeler Hangout”