Best glue?

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
Blueshirt named Green
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Best glue?

Postby Blueshirt named Green » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi,it's me again with another noob question.

Exactly what type of glue do you use? I keep hearing about cement,at least i think that's how it's called.And how do you apply it?

Just by the way,im glueing a snap kit, if it makes a diffrence
You got the bridge... what's left of it...

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Re: Best glue?

Postby mophius » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:51 pm

For plastic or styrene kits you can use polystyrene cement. This actually melts the parts together.
For resin kits or printed materials you need to use either superglue, CA glue, or a two part epoxy resin.
Superglue is quite brittle so sometimes some strengthening needs to be done.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 pm

mophius wrote:For plastic or styrene kits you can use polystyrene cement. This actually melts the parts together.
For resin kits or printed materials you need to use either superglue, CA glue, or a two part epoxy resin.
Superglue is quite brittle so sometimes some strengthening needs to be done.

Another thing about CA (aka Superglue) is that while it has great sheer strength its tensile strength is poor. So if you are building a resin kit (aka a garage kit) make sure to strengthen the glue joints like mophius said with brass pins across the joint seam if the part is going to be flexed in any way.
These days you can get CA glues with various cure times from a few seconds, 5 seconds, and I think there is a slow cure glue that takes 10 seconds to dry. I use a CA glue called Plastic Surgery for instances where I want the joint to dry in a second or two. It will also glue dissimilar plastics together which most common CA glues don't do well. Slower curing CA's are great if your initial alignment is a little off so you have time to get square thing up before it hardens completely.
You can also get accelerants that you either brush or spray onto the joint after gluing which makes CA cure instantly. The down side to accelerants is the joint will be more brittle than if you allow the glue to cure on it's own, at least that's been my experience.
One more thing to remember when working with CA glues is not to use it to attach clear parts. CA gives off strong fumes and it will fog a clear part in a heartbeat. Better to use a water based glue, sometimes called canopy glue, to attach clear parts. 2-part epoxy would also work if the glue joint needs to be stronger.
Epoxy is very sticky though and is a mess to clean up if you get sloppy.

When you hear the term "cement" it's generally polystyrene cement people are referring to.
Not good for resin but works great on your standard styrene kits.
Testors red "tube" glue is my go to for polystyrene glues.
It goes on thick and won't run where you don't want it.
It also gives you ample time to realign and clamp the parts you are gluing before it sets up.
Just don't overdo it as it will melt (and scar) plastic.
You can also get very thin watery glues, like Ambroid ProWeld, that come in a bottle usually with a brush attached to the underside of the screw cap. Testors also makes this kind of water-thin glue for styrene kits. It's great for long seams as it will flow easily into the gap before it evaporates. It sets almost instantly so you need to be sure the parts are aligned before applying it. I use it only for thin seams where the fit of the parts is very close.
And remember the basic rule of gluing plastic models with styrene cement. Don't get it on your fingers while gripping the model; how many modellers as kids left their fingerprints imprinted indelibly in the plastic due to sloppy gluing and handling would be a hard number to overestimate.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:25 pm

Blueshirt named Green,

As you can probably guess from trekriffic and morphius' replies, the real answer is "it depends" as in "it depends" on what material you are trying to join and what type of join you are trying to create.

The first question I ask about a kit is "What is it made of?!"

Polysterene? I would use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement or Testors red "tube" glue (thanks trekriffic!) These two cements/glues create a join/seam by slightly melting the polystyrene together. CA makes a join by "gripping" microscopic rough surfaces rather than create an actual bond with the polystyrene.

Resin? I am currently building a model made of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) resin. There are cements made specifically for gluing these models together (Tamiya Cement for ABS) but I have used Tamiya Extra Thin Cement or Testors red "tube" glue with success so far.

Below are some articles that go into much more detail. Have a gander and see what you pick up.

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construc ... arn-glue/#
http://www.militarymodelling.com/news/a ... ives/10590

I have also used nail acrylic and monomer that I picked up from a Beauty Supply Store to make joins/seams between polystyrene and the nail acrylic but then the hardness differences between the two materials makes them a bear to finish down smoothly.

Hope this helps!

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:51 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote: I am currently building a model made of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS) resin. There are cements made specifically for gluing these models together (Tamiya Cement for ABS) but I have used Tamiya Extra Thin Cement or Testors red "tube" glue with success so far.

Steve

Oh yeah, I didn't even mention ABS. Thanks Master Sergeant. Fun stuff. Stronger than styrene I'm told but can be a bear to glue together if you don't have the right glue. Pegasus uses ABS for most, if not all, of their kits.
I have their original War of the Worlds spaceship in my stash.
Last edited by trekriffic on Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:23 pm

a good way to test it to use scrap parts or sprue from the kit you're building to test the glue and see how it reacts
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:27 pm

All good advice. For styrene I prefer the Testor's liquid cement. The needle applicator is great for getting it right where you want it.

And yes, "it depends". I must have at least a half dozen different adhesives I use on models.

CA both thin and gap filling. AKA Kargl
Testor's liquid cement.
5 minute epoxy
Fletchtight poly vinyl cement -- Useful for disparate materials that need a flexible bond. Originally intended for gluing feathers to arrows.
White Glue
I'll lump the specific material glues together ABS, PVC, and acrylic. Rarely used but if you are gluing them, necessary. I don't buy these until I need them.
Gorilla Glue or polyester cement. -- Not much used in models, but you never know.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”