Economy Spraypaint options (primer and basecoats)

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Economy Spraypaint options (primer and basecoats)

Postby michelalano » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:27 pm

I'm beginning to loathe the testors rattle cans. Mainly because they're expensive with spotty coverage.

What kinds of paint can you use that might come in a full size can? Krylon? I'm talking about flat black, silver, white primer, etc. Same question for gloss and dull lacquer/sealer.

I used gloss white Testors as a base coat for my 1:1000 reliant and it's a goopy mess that somehow still feels sticky after a day of drying. Maybe it's a humidity thing?

Is there any non-model type paint that is good enough to be a finish coat?

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: Economy Spraypaint options (primer and basecoats)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:48 pm

michelalano wrote:I'm beginning to loathe the testors rattle cans. Mainly because they're expensive with spotty coverage.

What kinds of paint can you use that might come in a full size can? Krylon? I'm talking about flat black, silver, white primer, etc. Same question for gloss and dull lacquer/sealer.

I used gloss white Testors as a base coat for my 1:1000 reliant and it's a goopy mess that somehow still feels sticky after a day of drying. Maybe it's a humidity thing?

Is there any non-model type paint that is good enough to be a finish coat?

I've tried Krylon grey and white primer and it went on a bit grittier than I like. Not the best option IMO. I much prefer Duplicolor primers, they are an automotive lacquer based product and dry in an hour or less. For your other colors I would suggest any good lacquer based automotive paints. They go down smooth and dry quick. It's what I used for priming my 1/350 TOS Enterprise and I have never looked back. Tamiya makes lacquer based primers and paints but you will pay a fortune for them. You can get an 11 oz can of Duplicolor filler primer for about the same price as a 3 oz can of Tamiya fine surface primer.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 pm

I agree with Trekriffic - automotive paints work great, it takes some trial & error to find good paints
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:38 am

I use Citadel primers, meant for wargaming figures. Big can, good coverage. White gray and black.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:45 pm

The problem with automotive stuff is the nasty fumes. It may be specially terrible if you don't have a proper place for painting outside home.

In my case, for instances, I do modeling in my work office (that is inside house) and even spirit may be a bitch sometimes forcing me to keep the door of the office closed for hours until the smell is gone!

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”