Grid Lines

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
SKO
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Grid Lines

Postby SKO » Tue May 30, 2017 2:09 am

As I barely survived doing the aztec decals on the 1/1000 Refit I don't think I'll be doing them on my 1/1000 Reliant...I'd also like to re-do my Enterprise B at some point. What's the best way to accent the grid lines in order to break up the monochrome of the saucers? I've seen some really good examples on this site and wonder how it's done

Tesral
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: Grid Lines

Postby Tesral » Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 pm

I'm of the opinion they should be eliminated. They are out of scale details.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue May 30, 2017 3:59 pm

You want to accent the gridlines? A lot of modellers want to get rid of them. If you want to get rid of the deep grooves (they are terrifically out of scale) yet still be able to see the lines you could fill them, sand, then draw them on with a protractor and a pencil. Another more elegant method would be to fill the grooves with Milliput Black Putty after basecoating:

Milliput Black.jpg
Milliput Black.jpg (5.3 KiB) Viewed 138 times

This stuff can be a bit crumbly and dirty to work with so you'd want to be as neat as possible during application so an not to have to do too much cleanup with a rag or cotton swab and water afterward. If I were using this method I'd fill the grooves then thin my finishing color and apply one more light coat. It will make the lines not quite so black yet you will still be able to see them under the finishing coat for a nice subtle gridline effect.

Some modellers like to fill the grooves, apply primer and basecoat, then mask one side of each gridline and subtly shade the other side using an airbrush. If done right it looks really nice, if done wrong it looks like crap... in my opinion.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

SKO
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby SKO » Tue May 30, 2017 5:20 pm

trekriffic wrote:You want to accent the gridlines? A lot of modellers want to get rid of them. If you want to get rid of the deep grooves (they are terrifically out of scale) yet still be able to see the lines you could fill them, sand, then draw them on with a protractor and a pencil. Another more elegant method would be to fill the grooves with Milliput Black Putty after basecoating:

Milliput Black.jpg

This stuff can be a bit crumbly and dirty to work with so you'd want to be as neat as possible during application so an not to have to do too much cleanup with a rag or cotton swab and water afterward. If I were using this method I'd fill the grooves then thin my finishing color and apply one more light coat. It will make the lines not quite so black yet you will still be able to see them under the finishing coat for a nice subtle gridline effect.

Some modellers like to fill the grooves, apply primer and basecoat, then mask one side of each gridline and subtly shade the other side using an airbrush. If done right it looks really nice, if done wrong it looks like crap... in my opinion.

Woof, that's a bit above my level, I think. I guess my point is I'm not sure I want to pay extra and get the Aztec decals again but I'd like to break up the never-ending mass of white, too. Not sure what route to go, I think some of the ones I've seen with the dark grid lines look pretty sharp though.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue May 30, 2017 6:17 pm

Another thing you could do is apply a thin wash of dark grey or black acrylic paint in the gridlines (if you don't fill them in) after you do your finishing coats. Apply a thin line and then wipe off any excess with a moistened soft cloth or swab. A fine tipped microbrush works really well for this. Or you can use a fine tipped brush. If you want a more subtle effect airbrush a thinned mix of your finishing coat once the acrylic wash dries to tone the gridlines down. You could also use a soft lead pencil (like an HB grade) to draw the lines into the grooves if the wash method doesn't appeal to you. Seal with a clear flat lacquer afterwards; or spray with a clear semi-gloss for TNG era ships. Whatever you prefer.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

SKO
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby SKO » Tue May 30, 2017 8:25 pm

trekriffic wrote:Another thing you could do is apply a thin wash of dark grey or black acrylic paint in the gridlines (if you don't fill them in) after you do your finishing coats. Apply a thin line and then wipe off any excess with a moistened soft cloth or swab. A fine tipped microbrush works really well for this. Or you can use a fine tipped brush. If you want a more subtle effect airbrush a thinned mix of your finishing coat once the acrylic wash dries to tone the gridlines down. You could also use a soft lead pencil (like an HB grade) to draw the lines into the grooves if the wash method doesn't appeal to you. Seal with a clear flat lacquer afterwards; or spray with a clear semi-gloss for TNG era ships. Whatever you prefer.

This might be the ticket. Can always just spray over it if I screw up.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”