1/2500 RBOP

The place for all things related to the "sacred scale".
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

1/2500 RBOP

Postby mophius » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:30 pm

OK. So tonight saw me start work on my Romulan Bird of Prey.
Here it is as I took it out of the box.
DSC_0003.JPG

And so I cut it off the sprue.
DSC_0004.JPG

Filed rough edges of the parts and washed in soapy water.
DSC_0005.JPG

Glued hull together. Had to mop up some excess glue from the join to stop it marring the outer faces.
DSC_0006.JPG

Glued nacelles on. No bleeding here.
DSC_0007.JPG

This is as far as I got as I am now waiting for the glue to dry. Tomorrow will see more progress with application of green stuff to seal the hull and around the nacelle to pylon join.
Thoughts or tips anyone?
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/2500 RBOP

Postby Hossfly72 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:08 am

As simple as that kit is, painting it threw me for a loop.... several times. I used Model Master Metalizers and couldn't get em to go on smooth to save my life! Painted, stripped, and repainted it four times before I finally got the finish I wanted. It really turned out nice after I put the Metalizer sealer on it. Toned it down from the super shiny look to like worn metal.
Just got a new set of these and think I'll try something different on the next build. Gotta test it out first, but a nice, shiny chrome finish followed by a green prismatic paint has really been tugging at me. I tried the prism paint in a very light coat over a dark gray paintjob and it turned out nicely.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:11 am

Oh! I used some funky, electric green nail polish I borrowed from my daughter for the nacelle domes.
It's made by Del Sol and is supposed to change color in sunlight.. haven't tried it though. I just liked the way it almost looks like it's glowing in normal indoor light.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Small update.
I put some green stuff around the hull joins and the necelle to pylon joins. I have now put this on a cloth on the radiator to harden up, hopefully I can do something with it later on tonight.
DSC_0004.JPG

It was very sticky putting it on and I then seem to remember reading about wetting your fingers when mixing and placing. This helped a great deal.

I like the idea of using a green for the nacelle tips and like the day-glow one.
I am still unsure of nacelle tip colour as some pictures show blue, red, yellow and green. I even saw a silver tipped one too.

A light blue is pulling at me but maybe a bit of blending with the green too. Like people do with TOS Enterprise with red and yellow. Green on the edge and blue in the middle.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:58 pm

ok, bad move with the putty. Round the hull wasn't too bad but the nacelles were a pain to get any sort of shape out ofI ended up removing the nacelles and the green stuff and regluing the nacelles back on.
That was end of play tonight.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:39 pm

What brand of putty are you using? Is it polyester based? Have you heard of AVES? Or Perfect Plastic Putty? I much prefer water based putties these days. Easier to work with for an extended time before hardening. You can also get the joint so smooth there is very little sanding required. Clean up is a snap too.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 pm

it was green stuff. The blue and yellow mix stuff i think from Citadel. I have some liquid green stuff too which is like a think green paint, I will give that a go tonight and hopefully have better results.
I have some Tamiya tube stuff on order and it will be with me the end of the week.

The liquid green stuff would have been ok for the hull join as there was only a very small gap, the nacelles will be a try and see thing.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

asmcelhinney
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby asmcelhinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Liquid green stuff would be easier to use, but as it shrinks you'll want to apply two or more coats over time. You can get squadron putty over here (try wonderlandmodels.com) but I'm not convinced I like it. Miliput is also half decent and the regular stuff you can usually get pretty cheaply and easily.

The 2500 kits are very nice, but I only really have experience with the older pre-Round2 casts, and they needed a fair bit of work, especially the TOS enterprise. Really fancy the recent DS9 set though!

Keep it up, looking good so far.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:25 pm

I have the DS9 kit too and will let you know how it goes.

Further work, I put a couple of coats of liquid green on the Bird tonight.
DSC_0006.JPG

The base of the nacelles loks really nice now although needs cleaning up a little. The hull will need at least one more coat before I start to rub it down.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:26 pm

Had a go last night at rubbing down the RBOP and turned out a bit rough.
DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

I knew i had a quiet day at work though so took them in and rubbed them down with some 400 grit and then 1500 grit paper. After that I put a few layers of primer on.
DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

Rubbed down with 1500 to get the excesses off and now have to wait for the end of the month to buy some paints.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Return to “1/2500”