1984 AMT-ERTL TOS Enterprise 1/650

Share what you're working on, or your finished kit here. Friendly and constructive feedback assured!
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1984 AMT-ERTL TOS Enterprise 1/650

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:23 pm

Yeah...I coulda gone another decade without seeing that meme!

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit! :lol: :lol:

Steve

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:57 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:I hope you don't think me presumptuous in posting another build, but I wanted to post a few beauty shots of a build I completed in February. This is the model that started me back in the model building niche last year after nearly 4 decades of non-participation.

Okay, so there is a story to tell about THIS particular model of the Enterprise that I am building. My daughter knows I am a Star Trek nut so she bought me this model so I could build it. What she didn't know, maybe, is that I have been looking for this model for 30 years! Every time I would go into Hobby stores, I would look for this model to no avail. Searching online yielded over-priced knockoffs. This one she found for $8! When she sent it home with my son and his wife after their visit, I was overjoyed and nervous at the same time. I went on a model building studying spree because I wanted to do this right and because of this awesome gift from my duaghter! When I found another set I bought it because, just in case I messed something up I could have a backup fix. I really enjoyed myself with this and plan Many more builds!

To be sure, this is the first one I have done in a very long time. Granted, I did spend 15 years in Dental Laboratory training in making and putting together small things so that experience helped a bit. When I put this together, I didn't know there was an after-market parts industry, so everything here is OOB; albeit with some heavy modifications. I followed the Round2 paint scheme and constantly referenced the Remastered version of the Enterprise as this was the most readily available source material at the time. I also used Round2's decals as they were in better condition than those in the box.

I am rather proud of the formation lights, they're made of clear sprue material and painted with clear colored paint. One thing that I would like to change is the B/C deck; I should have softened the angles and appearance of it. But it is done and it was a labor of love, remembrance and a steep learning curve.

And I enjoyed every minute of it!

I hope you enjoy the end result.

Thanks for looking!

Steve

Very nice, clean and professional looking!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:29 am

Thanks, nova1972x! I appreciate the kind words!

Steve

Return to “Newbie Gallery”