1974 AMT Longbox V6 TOS Enterprise Restoration

Share what you're working on, or your finished kit here. Friendly and constructive feedback assured!
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1974 AMT Longbox V6 TOS Enterprise Restoration

Postby NCC1966 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:08 pm

Tesral wrote:Not on screen, on Model.

I see...

;)
Thanks,

Yan.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:24 pm

Hey Guys,

I didn’t get any notifications about this thread so I missed the discussion. But I do have a point that I would like considered. But first…

Shaw wrote:It is a beautiful model, and I hope your brother appreciates the quality of the work you put into it. It is one of the best long box examples I know of.

And seeing the quality of your restoration job makes me wish the original 18 inch studio model (now in the collection of Paul Allen) was given the same level of TLC...

Thank you for providing us with a magnificent window into the past. There are so few idealized (unmodified) versions of this model out there, it is wonderful to see it at it's best.

Shaw, thanks very much for such high praise and, coming from you, due to your extensive research, means a lot! Thanks! My brother does know and appreciates the quality of the work I put into the model; I remind him often. I also tell him he isn’t getting it back since he left it in the garage for so many years! :lol:

NCC1966 and Tesral - Thank you as well!

NCC1966 – I have to agree with Tesral in that the “bald front” on the Nacelles, with the “grill” on the energy/matter restoration cowl is canonical with the model. However, I would contend the nacelle configuration for my model is on-screen canonical as well.

The screen captures below are from Trekcore.com, which has one of the largest, if not THE largest, TOS screen-capture libraries ever. These three captures are from the DVD episodes, prior to the Remastered Episodes; specifically from the “Where No Man Has Gone Before” episode. This particular episode is considered the “Second Pilot” by many, despite the actual broadcast order. Due to the amount of optical effects needed for the episode, it was finished late and broadcast third in the original run. This fly-by was used often during the original run and sometimes it had a planet beneath – sometimes not. But, each time it was used, this was the configuration. Take a look…

Again, I did mention I wanted to stay OOB as possible to show a restoration of an AMT model kit. But, as shown in the attached pictures, the bald nacelles and the grill cowls are canonical.

Good discussion, guys! Thanks again for the critiques and good words about my build!

I look forward to sharing more with you in the future!

Ahead, Warp Factor One!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:42 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:NCC1966 – I have to agree with Tesral in that the “bald front” on the Nacelles, with the “grill” on the energy/matter restoration cowl is canonical with the model. However, I would contend the nacelle configuration for my model is on-screen canonical as well.

The screen captures below are from Trekcore.com, which has one of the largest, if not THE largest, TOS screen-capture libraries ever. These three captures are from the DVD episodes, prior to the Remastered Episodes; specifically from the “Where No Man Has Gone Before” episode. This particular episode is considered the “Second Pilot” by many, despite the actual broadcast order. Due to the amount of optical effects needed for the episode, it was finished late and broadcast third in the original run. This fly-by was used often during the original run and sometimes it had a planet beneath – sometimes not. But, each time it was used, this was the configuration. Take a look…

Again, I did mention I wanted to stay OOB as possible to show a restoration of an AMT model kit. But, as shown in the attached pictures, the bald nacelles and the grill cowls are canonical.

Steve, I never had noticed it before! Thank you for enrich my TOS knowledge! It more than proves your point!

I just pointed what I thought that could be an issue (and that either Tesral as you proved me not to be) because you were SO accurate and perfectionist in your restoration that it deserved the mention. Pointed proved!

:)

PARTICULARLY I don't care about to be canonical. I am more a guy of "cool" than "accurate". And I had LOVED your configuration. Too much that I wanted (and still want) to make my own version exactly as you did. I don't like much that balls in the rear of the nacelles and also am not a fan of the spikes in front of it. I think that your configuration (and as you showed me the second pilot one) is aesthetically perfect. I don't know why they didn't keep it.

;)

Just keep your breath taking work!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am

Very nice job Msgt! Is that long box you built a different mold than the AMT 6676?

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks, nova1972x!

The instructions list it as an S 951 603 which makes it, I think, a Long Box V6, but, from the look of the Nacelle attachment sites, it looks like it could be a V4; but I'm not sure.

The AMT/ERTL 6676 is the latest re-pop from Round2. It is the same mold used in the early 1980s when AMT/ERTL was in full swing. But the S951-603 is from a different, earlier mold - prior to several re-engineering efforts.

Jay Chladek has a fascinating article about the history of this model.
http://culttvman.com/main/a-history-of-the-amt-enteprise-model-by-jay-chladek-part-1/

The similarities between the models and molds are far greater than the differences; but once you see the differences, mostly in the design of the smaller pieces, you can't un-see them.

This one is an older (early 70's?) version and the most telling of differences are the Deflector dish, the shape of the B/C deck and the Bussard Collectors - and, of course, the Matter Restoration Cowls on the aft of the nacelles (no half sphere)!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steve

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 am

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
This one is an older (early 70's?) version and the most telling of differences are the Deflector dish, the shape of the B/C deck and the Bussard Collectors - and, of course, the Matter Restoration Cowls on the aft of the nacelles (no half sphere)!

Hope this helps!

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Steve

I had both the long box with the lights and whole pile of the later 70s models. K-Mart was all but giving the things away. I did not have them side by side however.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Newbie Gallery”