WF 2014

Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

WF 2014

Post by Lonewolf »

I know it's early yet, but who is considering going this year?

Ken "Cydonia" Darden and I will be there, and Steve "Haunted Pen" Kundrat has also chimed in as a roomie. I've already booked our room over at the Howard Johnson's Express. They have a "Stay 3 Nights, Save 20%" special, so I was able to lock in from Thursday, May 29 to Monday, June 2 for $76 per night. If the Crowne is around $117 again, I'll be saving about $40 a night ($160 total) which just about covers the cost of fuel driving from Michigan and back.

Ken in flying in on the 28th, staying at our place overnight, and we'll be heading down on Thursday morning. In the past, we've always arrived on Friday, but last year we came down on Thursday and really enjoyed just being able to kick back and relax on Friday. It also gave us a day to check our model entries and make repairs or finish detailing. And it's a lot of fun to meet with folks as they are meandering in during the day on Friday.

So . . . . what say ye?
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: WF 2014

Post by Del »

I'll be there, and I'll have a table this year. :D I'll also arrive on Thursday night so I can relax before setting things up on Friday night. Wasn't there a thread on this topic already, or was it over at SSM? I get so confused these days.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

Somebody posted a "Is it that time yet?" thread over on SSM.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I want to go. Haven't figured out if the financials will work out. Thanks for the head's up on the HoJo, Rich.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

el gato wrote:Thanks for the head's up on the HoJo, Rich.
It's a great alternative for conserving cash, and it's diagonally located across the street (sort of), so it's convenient.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

They also offer free WiFi and a continental breakfast each morning. Rooms are good-sized (I think we're getting the standard non-smoking room with two Queen-sized beds) and have been very clean each time Cydonia and I had stayed there. It's about a five minute walk from the Crowne, which isn't bad at all.

I think that, of the years we've been to WonderFest, we've stayed at HoJo's for most of them. I know in 2007 we were at the Exec West/Crowne Plaza, and I think we were there again as part of the CoMMiES Suite in 2008 or 2009. But in 2010 we were back across the street, and we were there again when we returned in 2013.

We split the room cost four ways, which makes it great for folks. Three of us have confirmed for the room so far, and I have one additional roommate, but he might be coming down with some folks and staying with them. If he goes that route, I have an open spot at HoJo's if you're interested, El Gato. I'll know more once we get closer to May.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Hey, thanks for the offer, Rich! By then I should know if it pencils out
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I crunched the numbers and it's not going to happen. This year is our 20th anniversary and I promised Mrs. Gato I would take her on a big trip to celebrate. Sadly, WF wouldn't count. But 2015 is a go for sure.
Lonewolf
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Lonewolf »

After this year, WonderFest is going to become an "every other year" event. We're already planning on celebrating our eldest daughter's 16th birthday in Florida in November 2015, so that rules out a trip to WonderFest. As much as I love attending, my daughters are getting older (ages 10 and 14 now) and I want to spend time with them before they're gone and out of the house.

So, it looks like 2014, 2016, 2018, 2020 . . . . and so on.
dkev
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by dkev »

I only live a couple hours away so I was thinking about it. We have our yearly vacation at the beginning of May, so I don't know how I'll be set for cash. Well see though.

Return to “Wonderfest 2014”