1/350 NX-01 Enterprise INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
sparrowlord01
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

1/350 NX-01 Enterprise INCOMPLETE

Post by sparrowlord01 »

Hi. I have just ordered the kit from Tower Hobbies, so it will be a few days before it gets here once they process the order. I will put up some kit pics when it arrives. I won't be starting it right away. I have to scrounge up enough for paint and supplies. I will keep you posted. :roll:
sparrowlord01
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: 1/350 NX-01 Enterprise

Post by sparrowlord01 »

Hi folks. I am starting to get together the supplies I am going to need and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the paint colors for the NX-01. I have done the small scale refit version of the NX-01, but I never felt that the color callouts in the instructions were completely accurate. I went back on Netflix and have been re-watching the series and I am still not sure. In some episodes, the hull looks almost metallic, while in others it looks like it's painted in various shades of gray. Has anyone done the large 1/350 NX-01 who could give me some advice on the correct colors?

I am also going to be picking up some paint for another kit I have in my stash that I am not sure of as well; It's the DS9, U.S.S. Defiant re-release from Round 2 AMT. I did this kit a long way back, about 8 years. It was the original first release, and I wasn't happy with the color list on that one either. It calls for the basic color to be Dark Ghost Gray which I always felt was somewhat off. If any advice could be found for those colors as well, it would be appreciated.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Rich :?:
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

This is probably the most ambitious ion the contest so far! Excited to see a build up of this ship.
sparrowlord01
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by sparrowlord01 »

Okay here we go. The Kit arrived today and I actually had most of the paints for it. I only had to order Titanium and Cobalt Blue. It's a big kit. Looks like the final size will be around 2 feet. Here are some images..

I hope these come out okay. I hope to be startign the first subassembly tonight. I did note that the panel lines are kind of large, but I don't know if I want to try and fill and re-etch them. My hands just are way too shaky most of the time. We'll see how they look assembled. I am going to try and light this one. I have plenty of LEDs, I just wish the nacelle spinner aftermarket mod kits weren't so darn expensive.
Last edited by sparrowlord01 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
sparrowlord01
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by sparrowlord01 »

Why do my images keep disappearing from the post I sent them in???
sparrowlord01
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by sparrowlord01 »

I think I have the images fixed. Please let me know if anyone has issues viewing them. Thanks.

Rich
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

All looks good on this end. :)
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

Looks good to me. I have one of these kits in the basement. I havent broght my self to building it yet though. Look forward to seeing your progress.
sparrowlord01
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by sparrowlord01 »

Yeh. Murphy's law just kicked in. I masked the upper and lower saucer sections to paint the inside black for light masking, and discovered afterwards that I didn't have any Flat Black paint left. So now I am sucking up to the Mrs. to see if I can get her to make a trip to the store for me. lol..... I usually use a coat of flat black, then a coat of chrome silver inside. I usually get pretty good results. The kit is fairly well designed, but there are a lot of pieces with thick flash on them. It's really testing my trimming skills since they are in spots that are hard to get a sanding stick into.. Or my fingers for that matter.. :D

I'll get soem more pics once I get the black coat down.
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by IceGiant »

I thought as part of the OOB beginner contest we couldn't do lighting?

Return to “Newbie Contest Entries”