1:650 Surya Class (final pics page 5)

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Lonewolf
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

1:650 Surya Class (final pics page 5)

Postby Lonewolf » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 am

I decided to make this a real "first" by attempting to build my first-ever vacuform kit. I'll be using the old McDaniel's Models 1:650 Surya Class kit (I will get some photos taken and posted tomorrow night of the base kit).

I'm in the process of inventorying my styrene stock stash, to see what I've got and what I might need to pick up in order to build the internal structure to support the kit.

If this goes halfway well, I have several other McDaniel's kits to build in the future.
Last edited by Lonewolf on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

Lonewolf
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1:650 Surya Class

Postby Lonewolf » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:57 pm

Home today with a strained muscle in my back. In between bouts of muscle spasms and laying against a frozen gel pack, I managed to get the kit parts photographed.

Main Hull - Upper Section

Main Hull - Lower Section

Hull End Plate, Warp Nacelles, Miscellaneous Pieces

Resin Bits and Pieces

Decal Sheet

I bought the kit years ago from a member on Starship Modeler, so I didn't have the option of requesting a specific name and registry number.

I hope to get the parts marked for cutting out tomorrow night. I will be sure to post photos as I start getting into this build. I'm kinda apprehensive about it, but I'm also looking forward to it.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

Shizman
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Shizman » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:22 am

Cool. I've got this kit. Very interested how you tackle it.
Last edited by Shizman on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lonewolf
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Lonewolf » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:34 am

Small update tonight, as I'm trying to clear five 1:2500 Cardassian ships off the bench before I really start getting into the building of the Surya.

I used a black Sharpie marker to outline the kit's vacuform parts. This will make it easier to see where the edges are when I trim the parts out with a fresh Xacto, and will also help me line up the edges when I'm working on sanding to fit.

Upper and Lower Main Hull halves.

Warp Nacelles and other parts.

As I said previously, if this build goes well enough, I look forward to building the other McDaniel's Models kits that I have in my Closet O' Doom, including:

Federation Class Drednaught
Hermes Class Scout
Keppler Class Transport Tug
Klingon L-9 Frigate

I also have a resin Akyazi Class Perimeter Action Ship to build at some point.

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Postby Kratok » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:11 am

Nifty. I don't know if I have ever seen any of the McDaniels Models kits actually finished.

Vacuform kits have always intimidated me, but you may inspire me to tackle one.
Looking forward to watching this build.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Same here. I don't have a single vacuformed kit because I'm afraid of them. More power to you Lonewolf. Looking forward to seeing your build
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:20 pm

ive done a couple vac kits .. and a vac conversion kit for the soyuz class for the relaint .which still need final painting lol

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 pm

A sharpie?
That's an excellent idea! I'll have to remember this when I do up the one (vacuform) I have.

Keep the tips coming please. ;)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Lonewolf
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Lonewolf » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:01 pm

I got the vacuform parts all trimmed out, but not sanded to fit yet. I did little rough-fitting. My daughters leave for summer camp tomorrow, and we're trying to get the packing done today. I will try to get some pictures taken and posted either tonight or tomorrow.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:26 pm

What kind of glue do you use on VF kits? I would think that some glues are too hot to use on the thin plastic that are used for VF kits
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “MIS Contest Entries”