Social Media and AST

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Re: Social Media and AST

Post by Kratok »

Xen wrote:
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:It's interesting that this should be an issue. Let me clarify:
Another aspect is that when I do a Google image search for more reference materials for a build, more times than not, a posted picture, following the usual vendor offerings, lists a pic from allscaletrek.com. This happened more often before the photobucket money grab, but I don't very often see pics taking me to other forums nearly so much as I do to this one.
Could you clarify what you mean with the above quoted paragraph? It sounds like Google are no longer showing pics from AST like they used to. Is this the case?
Not to speak for MSgtUSAFRet, but I believe he was indicating that the problem is with Photobucket. Google still references the images and directs people here, but Photobucket blocks viewing said files. I've had the same experience with my searches. I freely admit that I dont understand the problem completely, but from what little I have read it has been perceived by the public as a means for Photobucket to build revenue, aka a "money grab". Google "Photobucket third-party hosting" for more.

MSgt, if I am speaking out of turn, please correct me. No disrespect intended - I just wanted to chime in because (based on my understanding of your meaning), I have had exactly the same experience. LOTS of redirects to AST, but frustration when you get here and find viewing those Photobucket-hosted files blocked.

Not much that AST can do about this particular problem, but it is certainly a piece of the puzzle.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

I think what he is stating is something that I experience frequently myself. When I Google a ship type for reference, I'm frequently getting links to photos and discussions at AST. This is a GOOD thing. Usually I see it when I'm looking at images, and re-directs me here. Many times I've found old discussions that are worth a re-read, and sometimes don't even remember that I contributed to the discussions. I find it amusing to read things I've said in the past and don't remember it. In any event, the usual statement when someone asks about a subject - "Google is your friend" can also be amended for a different meaning, "Google is an AST friend."
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

thanks mo. i appreciate the vote of confidence. although i still feel very newbie weary of fb.

thanks kratok and del for your input. i do wonder just how many old threads have been ruined by pb blocking the images and the op not updating the thread.

that's why i started a rule to upload at least one pic of significance to your thread, so that ast retains the old thread in all its former glory.

it is the reason why we don't purge threads here. i do have a few idea's to repopulate forum sections with old threads by copying them over.

also to create new sections for gallery instant eye candy.

maybe one for vendors. such as a 1 pic per ship 'brochure' thread. that way a vendor could have 5/10/15/20 beauty shots of 'samples' from their entire range in one place (apart from outside of their own site). the forum would have a list of threads. one thread for each vendor.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Kratok wrote: Not to speak for MSgtUSAFRet, but I believe he was indicating that the problem is with Photobucket. Google still references the images and directs people here, but Photobucket blocks viewing said files. I've had the same experience with my searches. I freely admit that I dont understand the problem completely, but from what little I have read it has been perceived by the public as a means for Photobucket to build revenue, aka a "money grab". Google "Photobucket third-party hosting" for more.

MSgt, if I am speaking out of turn, please correct me. No disrespect intended - I just wanted to chime in because (based on my understanding of your meaning), I have had exactly the same experience. LOTS of redirects to AST, but frustration when you get here and find viewing those Photobucket-hosted files blocked.

Not much that AST can do about this particular problem, but it is certainly a piece of the puzzle.
Kratok and Del - this is exactly what I meant to say and no offense is taken.

Similar situations occur on other forums during ship reference and build searches. I agree that this is nothing that AST can do and Google is not to blame either - Photobucket is.
Del wrote:I find it amusing to read things I've said in the past and don't remember it. In any event, the usual statement when someone asks about a subject - "Google is your friend" can also be amended for a different meaning, "Google is an AST friend."
Seconded! :D

I do remember Xen asking if builders were so inclined to replace the third-party links with new or updated ones. Or as he said
Xen wrote: that's why i started a rule to upload at least one pic of significance to your thread, so that ast retains the old thread in all its former glory.
I have tried to do this (replacing old links) and is a time consuming exercise. Then again, it is nice to see my builds again! :) Plus, I get to see others comments and follow them to their builds!

Thanks for stepping in and clarifying, Gents!

Steady as she goes.

Steve
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

yes indeed. i have a few idea's for bringing old threads back to life. in particular, in-depth wip build, beauty shots and anything else that can help inspire folks to do whatever their trek impulse desires [no pun intended].

yes, also to the uploading to ast of at least one pic of significance. we are as much a compendium as we are a community forum.

but that is veering way off topic.

as for social media, i think i'm set in which of the sites i want to go with and have some ideas there as well.

@msgt, i feel the need to give you a cool nickname, such as 'af-ret' or 'a-fret', like 'a-rod', but have no idea if that is either cool or insulting to an ex-serviceman.

would you be willing to help me out with some of the other social media projects? just advice, since you're already involved and you're an IT guy, which is great for me!
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

I think we should take Griffworks up on his offer to manage an AST FB page for us. Nothing too big or complicated, just something that can highlight some of the stuff going on and cool pics.

I think the YouTube idea is great and should be explored. I've said it's not my cup of rum, but the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to maybe contribute a short video/narration to this format.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

fb; i would gladly have someone walk me through fb and how to set it up for read only.

i ran a thread alongside this one at ssm and someone mentioned how forums that did the fb thing died shortly afterwards. tricky subject.

you tube, i like this idea a lot, but again, i am in the same boat. i know nothing of video editing. if there's an editor for dummies out there then maybe.

i can see short 5 minute videos introducing all scale trek doing well, how we work here, what we're about, have that thing that records what you browse, so you can chat and surf, or have it as text.

our take on newbies or the hybrid of gamer, modeler, collector as mini topics.

mini reviews of whatever we think is cool, like your new rommie ship.

short and simple.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Xen wrote: @msgt, i feel the need to give you a cool nickname, such as 'af-ret' or 'a-fret', like 'a-rod', but have no idea if that is either cool or insulting to an ex-serviceman.

would you be willing to help me out with some of the other social media projects? just advice, since you're already involved and you're an IT guy, which is great for me!
Xen, MSgt is fine. The others would make me sound like a duck advertising for an insurance company! :roll: :lol:

Or Steve, or "Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All"! :lol: :lol:

I would be willing to help out.

Let me know what you need.

Steve
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

no problem msgt. :)
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

RogueWolf wrote:I think we should take Griffworks up on his offer to manage an AST FB page for us. Nothing too big or complicated, just something that can highlight some of the stuff going on and cool pics.

I think the YouTube idea is great and should be explored. I've said it's not my cup of rum, but the more I think about it, the more I am inclined to maybe contribute a short video/narration to this format.
Seconded.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Off Topic”