So, Trump. What now?

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: So, Trump. What now?

Postby el gato » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:38 am

Yes and no. Once a public benefit has been bestowed, it's difficult to retract. In the private market, a contract is binding so long as it's effect. But all they need to do is cancel the policy. At that point the contract is no longer valid
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 am

el gato wrote:Yes and no. Once a public benefit has been bestowed, it's difficult to retract. In the private market, a contract is binding so long as it's effect. But all they need to do is cancel the policy. At that point the contract is no longer valid

Oh, I see... here in Brasil it's not like this though. Once you get a benefit you keep it forever no matter if the company cancel the "policy" or not. As far as I know it is valid either for health insurance as well for phone service. It is not valid for contracts with expiration date though (like car insurance).

By the other hand to have it on paper doesn't mean that you will have it in fact. Private health insurance here is almost like nothing. They are expensive and not reliable. When you go to make your contract they promise and swear everything. Truth is that if you use your insurance just for regular doctor appointments and blood exams it's fine. But if you need any procedure that goes a bit out of this (special exams, surgery, treatments, etc) it's best to be prepared to fight with them. First these procedures are never automatic (just get there and go) meaning that you need to await for an "authorization" before (that usually is denied). Then you will have to insist and beg, await for weeks for this and at the end with a lot of efforts perhaps you get it in the tribunals.

Me and my wife doesn't have it, but we don't have kids. If we did maybe we would want to live with the false safety feeling that these services give. Beside the high rates the service is crappy so we prefer to pay for doctors appointments, exams and treatments from the pocket. It is cheaper and you get a better service. In the last two and a half years I even was submitted to two surgeries with internment and general anesthesia (gal bladder removal and hemorrhoids) and my wife made a treatment for ptiriasis. Summing up EVERYTHING we spent with health in these three years, including even what the insurance would not pay (like drugs and cab when you cannot drive) it didn't reach even 40% of the amount we would had paid to a minimally decent insurance service! And I am sure that things wouldn't had been swell as they were.

Before that I used the public service for years for regular doctor visits (by the time I took anti-depressives) and even the drug I picked every month for free at the public pharmacy. I tried to make my two surgeries in the public but they were longing to much to get me an appointment (in the two cases) so I ended deciding to afford it. But I know people that had a little more patience and now they are walking around as good as I am.

Anyway, the thumb of rule here in Brasil about health service is that better you NOT to need it!

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:46 pm

Well sounds like the Brasilian private health insurance is akin to what the Obamacare was designed to overcome.

I checked- mine is permanent. Until such time as I'm kicked off of it by the actions of some in the legislature. Some of those in the legislature are hell bent upon same.

Unfortunately the party that likes to claim that everyone else need to abide by the rules, always seeks to overturn the rules in their favor.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

slawton
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby slawton » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:28 pm

The times seem historical (probably hysterical to those in places like Russia). So where are we headed?
    Trump will be impeached and shot for treason very remote
    Trump will be impeached and jailed remote
    Trump will be impeached and pardoned/off penalty-free unlikely
    Trump will be attempt to be impeached, but unsuccessful due to partisan politics likely
    Trump will be attempt to be impeached, but unsuccessful due to insufficient evidence/facts possible
    Obstruction/delays push out impeachment so far it becomes moot unlikely
    No impeachment attempt, Washington still run chaotically/lots of drama & no real work towards agenda likely
    Everything blows over, Trump starts getting better at his job, some things get implemented possible
    Some of Trump's efforts get implemented, but things get worse for USA as a result likely
    Some of Trump's efforts get implemented, but get better for the 1%'s, worse for everyone else likely
    Some of Trump's efforts get implemented, but things stay the same possible
    Some of Trump's efforts get implemented, but get worse for the 1%'s, better for everyone else very remote
    Some of Trump's efforts get implemented, things get better for USA as a result unlikely
    All of Trump's plans go through, America Made Great Again very remote

Will
    Trump turn USA into dictatorship? Statues, portraits, etc. of "Dear Leader" everywhere, hotels on every corner. NOT
    Trump uses office to monetarily profit? likely
    Trump loses support from Republicans? likely
    Trump's supporters recognize he is a failure for them/USA? If so, when? who knows
    Popular movement causes major changes in government? Businesses overtly rule government? very remote
    Republicans take huge losses in midterms? Regular election in ~3 1/2 years? likely
    Republicans get stronger in midterns/regular elections? unlikely
    The "swamp" is drained? Gets "swampier"? different swamp critters
    Trump loses next election? Wins next election? probably not Republican candidate
    Economy get better? Worse? meh
    New jobs? Better jobs? Better pay? unlikely
    America go to war? North Korea? Middle East? WW3? possible
    USA leave NATO? USA & Russia become allies/best friends? unlikely
    All potential terrorists removed from USA - safe? Terrorist attacks multiply worldwide/USA? Decrease? same
    Assassination attempt? remote
    Undeniable evidence Russians tampered with election? probable Hillary actually won? possible
    Other?
My guesses

Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest, but wondering where this "Jerry Springer" show is heading.
Last edited by slawton on Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm a doctor, not a modeler ...

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:35 pm

After a wile and looking from here seems to me that Trump is falling in some kind of ostracism. His ideas are so absurd an non sense that life seems to getting to the normality it supposed to despite to his will. Lol. He is a complete idiot and he is being left talking alone. That's the perfect impression I have!
Thanks,

Yan.

WarpNein
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby WarpNein » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:39 pm

NCC1966 wrote:After a wile and looking from here seems to me that Trump is falling in some kind of ostracism. His ideas are so absurd an non sense that life seems to getting to the normality it supposed to despite to his will. Lol. He is a complete idiot and he is being left talking alone. That's the perfect impression I have!

An odd take to my way of thinking, but then I don't know what Brazilian media is like.

The left here seems intent on keeping the outrage train running until even it's most ardent adherents are mentally and physically hollowed out. And like Screwtape, I am more than happy to keep savoring the fine vintage of empty rage.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:55 pm

Trump's greatest threat seems to be... Trump. And his sons are just a stupid.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

trekriffic wrote:Trump's greatest threat seems to be... Trump. And his sons are just a stupid.

agreed - and twitter
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Kremin » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:11 am

Today here in the UK we are faced with as big a choice as the USA, many people blindly following the traditional parties that their parents voted for and beliving every campaign promise regardless of how foolish

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby TonyG2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:55 am

It boils down to who is the least worse choice. Or who is it that you cannot stand the thought of being PM on Friday and voting tactically.

That is why there is a good deal of noise being directed to UKIP voters to vote Conservative in order to keep Comrade Corbyn (and car crash Abbot) out.

There has even been the suggestion in certain areas that die hard conservatives vote LibDem. In those areas, the conservatives wont have a chance (as you say, people blindly following who their parents voted for without thinking about the policies) so a vote for LD may keep Corbyn out.

As for the US, I have to confess I was intrigued by the concept of a Trump presidency but the recent developments are less than encouraging, especially the allegations that he has tried to shut down investigations that may lead back to his front door.

I genuinely think that Trump is regretting running for and being president. I suspect he thought it would be a fun diversion for 4 years, riding round in AirForce One and generally basking in the adulation of an adoring public. Then he woke up.....

Return to “Off Topic”