The Last Jedi

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

The Last Jedi

Postby mophius » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:17 am

here is the official trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0CbN8sfihY

Your thoughts?
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: The Last Jedi

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:54 pm

First, I enjoyed the trailer! It looks to be a very good movie!

Second, I suspect it will be like the "Empire Strikes Back" as it will be a story development movie; an "in-between" movie where the First Order/Kylo Ren will entice Rey to join them - much in the same way that Anakin was lured into the dark side by his thirst to know the deep things of the Force.

Also, it may show the death/defeat of Leia as Kylo Ren completes his journey to the Dark Side by killing his mother as well.

An observation is that Luke is now afraid of the Force; especially of the Dark Side and the "raw" power it possesses. Maybe he is tempted to give in to the Dark Side himself. Luke's fear could be a plot point to set up the last movie (9) where Luke emerges as the only one who can stop the First Order and can only do this by redeeming Rey and confronting his fear of the Force and his failure to properly instruct Ren.

Just speculation, but it looks to be an interesting movie! Can't wait to see it!

Steve

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible just to avoid disappointment. Oh Phantom Menace, how you haunt me after all these years
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby TrekMD » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:19 am

Hmm, looks interesting but not sure what to expect. I like your theory, MSgtUSAFRet.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:17 am

I'm going to signal more the other direction;
the prior one was 'meh', although visually stunning,
lackluster writing and plot held back the potential.
that, and effacement of other continuities and all...

a lot of folks wanted to see Mara Jade and Jaina - strong female characters,
on screen, with a flashback to Leia as a Jedi Journeyman and Winter etc...

though, a lot of folks are happy that Chewbie's demise at Sernpidal no longer happens,
and, that Legacy stuff, the Vong, etc, don't exist :ugeek:
:D

-----
bottom line - this trailer felt like more empty-calorie, michael-bay inspired wars,
and not the multilayered complex works elsewhere.
also, how is captain plasma back?

so long as there are more droids, locales and aliens...
I'll definitely rent this on DVD in 4 months post release. :lol:
Last edited by kobayashimaru on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:15 am

New walkers. Angry eyes on mechs is so hokey, but I love it so. :lol:

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm

el gato wrote:I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible just to avoid disappointment. Oh Phantom Menace, how you haunt me after all these years

Yeah SW:PM was NOT Lucas' best effort - ya know - EVER. Hopefully SW8 won't give us another Binks character.

TrekMD wrote:Hmm, looks interesting but not sure what to expect. I like your theory, MSgtUSAFRet.

Thanks, Doc! It's only a theory based upon impressions of a 2 minute trailer. :roll: It's like the saying of bellybuttons and ...opinions; everyone has one! :lol: But, Thanks!

kobayashimaru - I agree with your thoughts about the writing and plot. It introduced many new characters to the SW universe and killed off some mainstays. It could have been better.

As far as Mara Jade - she is a wonderful character in the extended universe and, given the time frame between Return of the Jedi and Force Awakening, who is to say that Mara never existed or those events didn't take place. I mean, why is Luke in self imposed exile? Was it ONLY because of his failure with Ren? Or did something happen to Mara that caused Luke to run?

Dunno, but there is alot hanging on this next movie.

I'll probably get the Blu-ray, like I did for Rouge One, and watch it over and over to get the nuances out of it while enjoying the Universe alive again!

May the Force be with you!

Steve

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:40 am

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
el gato wrote:I'm trying to remain as neutral as possible just to avoid disappointment. Oh Phantom Menace, how you haunt me after all these years

Yeah SW:PM was NOT Lucas' best effort - ya know - EVER. Hopefully SW8 won't give us another Binks character.

It wasn't just Ep I. He followed it up with AotC, a movie so lackluster it made Natalie Portman and Ewan McGregor look like bad actors. If I hadn't see it for myself I would've said that it wasn't even possible. I think the only reason RotS is midly entertaining is because of what came before it
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 am

el gato wrote:I think the only reason RotS is midly entertaining is because of what came before it

We got to see emo kid dumped in the lava.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:33 pm

I am so avoiding any speculation or rumor. I'll see the film.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Off Topic”