Have a question? Ask here :)

Theme: Anything goes! The build deadline for participants is October 1st. This contest is closed.
User avatar
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Xen » Sat May 24, 2014 12:15 am

The purpose of the WIP blog format is to show the build in stages. That generates more interest from spectators and other participants. However, whether you have everything prepared beforehand or print/cast as the build progresses, is entirely up to you. :)

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore
Posts: 1480
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:29 am

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby zookman » Sat May 24, 2014 2:11 am

ok heres a question ...
well 2 part question
1 .. what if ya have one of the 3 peice kits of the enterprise ... since all 3 come in one box and the originals ( if i remember right ) all went on one stand .. do they , even tho they 3 seperate ships still count as one kit ...

2 what if someone wanted to do the enterprise family from the NX-01 to the E and have them as one display on one custom stand .. i know its 7 or 8 ships ( if ya count the refit and the A seperate ) course ya could add the 3 versions of the TOS as well for 10 in total

i know part 2 is probly pushing the limits . but would look cool lol

User avatar
Digital-Impressions
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Digital-Impressions » Sat May 24, 2014 3:18 am

I would like be in the scratch build category. You stated there is a three month build time. What if I have started already in February and will be lucky to have it done by October? It's a 1/850 Enterprise D made out of balsa with lights.
Treat her like a lady and she will always take you home.

curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander
Posts: 298
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby curt » Sat May 24, 2014 3:59 am

Tagging off zookman, if one was to do a display with a federation ship and an adversary would that be counted as 2 ships or 1 entry that being a display is considered a whole scene???

User avatar
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Xen » Sat May 24, 2014 4:28 am

zookman wrote:ok heres a question ...well 2 part question
1 .. what if ya have one of the 3 peice kits of the enterprise ... since all 3 come in one box and the originals ( if i remember right ) all went on one stand .. do they , even tho they 3 seperate ships still count as one kit ...


If you choose an OOB styrene 3 pack, it will count as one. It's not really what I wanted. However, since I decided to allow OOB, I have to let folks do the whole thing if they want.

zookman wrote:2 what if someone wanted to do the enterprise family from the NX-01 to the E and have them as one display on one custom stand .. i know its 7 or 8 ships ( if ya count the refit and the A seperate ) course ya could add the 3 versions of the TOS as well for 10 in total i know part 2 is probly pushing the limits . but would look cool lol


I'll reluctantly allow a 3 pack for OOB, but that's where I draw the line. Ideally, each participant should have one main subject, with only a small selection of "accessorizing", for dioramas etc. It can't become an armada. That would be unfair to the rest.

User avatar
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Xen » Sat May 24, 2014 4:43 am

Digital-Impressions wrote:I would like be in the scratch build category. You stated there is a three month build time. What if I have started already in February and will be lucky to have it done by October? It's a 1/850 Enterprise D made out of balsa with lights.


It really needs to be a new build. The whole idea of the WIP thread is to serve as a blog, with clear steps from concept to creation. I could make an exception, but it would depend on how far along you are.

User avatar
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Xen » Sat May 24, 2014 4:51 am

curt wrote:Tagging off zookman, if one was to do a display with a federation ship and an adversary would that be counted as 2 ships or 1 entry that being a display is considered a whole scene???


It depends. If the ships are OOB they would be classed as a single entry. Provided they are NOT modified.

If you want to start modifying two ships, that would be classed as a specialist build. As such, you would need one main build and one as more of an accessory to compliment the main build.

For example: Two ships modified, engaged in a battle = Not allowed. One ship blasting an almost wrecked axis ship = Allowed.

User avatar
Digital-Impressions
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Digital-Impressions » Sat May 24, 2014 4:59 am

I have documented the build all the way through. From concept to my own plans to each step. So as far as WIP it can be shown as it was in progress. This is not one that can be done from start to finish in three months. I would like to show a picture of it if that helps with your decision. If it won't work for this contest I understand.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by Digital-Impressions on Sat May 24, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treat her like a lady and she will always take you home.

User avatar
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me
Posts: 1321
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:19 am

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Xen » Sat May 24, 2014 5:22 am

Digital-Impressions wrote:I have documented the build all the way through. From concept to my own plans to each step. So as far as WIP it can be shown as it was in progress. This is not now that can be done from start to finish in three months. I would like to show a picture of it if that help with your decision. If it won't work for this contest I understand.


It looks like there's enough work to do to mark this as more "getting into the groove", than "almost done". Provided you can update your WIP thread to the point you're at now, feel free to use that as your entry.

Let it be known to all, this is a rare exception, due to unique nature of the build. ;)

User avatar
Digital-Impressions
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Posts: 61
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Re: Have a question? Ask here :)

Postby Digital-Impressions » Sat May 31, 2014 6:35 pm

Can we upload video clip attachments in our threads?
Treat her like a lady and she will always take you home.


Return to “2014 AST "Make It So" Model and Miniature Contest (Closed)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests