1/350 Daedalus?

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: 1/350 Daedalus?

Post by el gato »

novahobbies wrote:I'm still mildly irritated by the number of different dimensions the ship has from blueprint to blueprint. At this point I've decided to move forward with a "this looks good for MY MODEL" mentality and not worry too very much about the smaller details. The one I will be following most closely is the classic Steve Neill version, since it looks best to me.
I'm with you. That's what I ultimately did. My Daedalus is a mixture of things I liked from various versions at roughly the size I thought looked right. I mean, it's not like someone is going to correct us, right? The modeling world, coupled with Star Trek fandom, is such a relaxed group of individuals. hahaha
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Greyryder wrote:I'm using one of these to run a 3v lighting system off a 7.2v battery, in an RC truck. It handles that environment, just fine. Powering a model ship's lights shouldn't be a problem. It easily dials in, to whatever voltage you need.
8-) Brilliant, thank you very much for that help! Ordered and on the way...that's exactly what I needed and will fit perfectly in with the rest of the ship.

I'm obviously still in collection phase here with nary a bit of plastic harmed yet. But it ought to be fun when it gets moving. Waiting on my Nacelle effects to arrive. At the moment, I think I'll make the guts of the ship accessible through the back of the secondary hull. I'll leave that unglued as a "plug" I can pull out in case I need to adjust any wiring. I'm also toying with the idea of making a shuttlebay with this build, but at this stage it's a very rough idea. I'll also need to see what I can do for 1/350 scale shuttles that look like they might belong in the era between ENT and TOS. The side view of the Jackill's blueprints cutaway shows an interesting heavy looking shuttle side view, but I don't think there's any other image or view of that particular shuttlecraft.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Here's a very quick video of the cheap LED "spinners" I snagged off of eBay. As you can see, it's a simple, basic effect . I will put these under frosted red domes. I'm thinking the third speed will be the one to use.

Couple problems with these. First and most important, the lights are NOT energized as soon as power is applied. Their constant state is off, and are turned on via a momentary switch. So I have to find a way to either use a jumper to short the switch, or finagle a spot on each nacelle to subtly incorporate the very small push-button. Second problem, the step-down unit, will be solved with Greyryder's excellent suggestion that is already on its way. Third, the boards are pretty fragile and will need to be centered and secured pretty carefully in the booster rocket/nacelle. All surmountable issues, but that on/off issue is a little silly....I don't know whose bright idea it was to have it default to the off state when power is applied. Duh.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

So just to reach into the dim and distant past, did this ever get built?

Is it better to use the Airfix tank as it is thicker plastic and has a natural join point at approximately the right length or cut down the Revell tank which has grid lines around it
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

I got all the components gathered and ready, but had to box most of my more involved projects for a future date. We're consolidating and decluttering the house, doing a lot of house renovations so we can show it in early 2018 and move into a slightly larger place. In the meantime I've been working on 'easier' resin kits just to keep the modeling itch scratched. :D

Return to “1/350”