The next official AST contest

General discussion for future official AST contests and unofficial (fan run) group builds.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

The next official AST contest

Post by Xen »

AST's 2014 contest will be launched "soon". It is still a work in progress. As such, I would invite those that are interested to share their thoughts on what you would like to see. I'd like to find a way to get more newbies and/or entry level modellers involved this time.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: The next official AST contest

Post by el gato »

You could ask the new people to come up with ships that we have not seen in the ST universe. For example, a ship entirely devoted to diplomacy, where disputing factions are taken for intense rounds of negotiation (sort of like a Geneva in space). That person may come up with a back story for it if (s)he chooses. Anyone is open towards taking that idea and building a model of it, bringing it to life... thus "making it so."
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

Last edited by Steam235 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

maybe just an out of box contest . no am parts or filler and lights only allowed if the original kit came with the kit

orrr maybe some sort of non trek kit used in a trek sort of way . example navy warships with ufp marking or aircraft with ufp marking or even other races

orrr shuttles / small craft .. never see any shuttles or rarely ..
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

maybe a cross faction style... a Romulan ship done in Federation colors, Klingon to a Federation/Romulan, or fed to Romulan/Klingon

Out of box, maybe a little add-ons
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

i was thinking the out of box part as a " back to basics " style .. we all get time warped back to our beginnings in modeling and get out first trek kit " and have to make due with whats in the box and build it with basic tools .. exacto knife ( or similar cutting instrument ) rattle cans for sprays and brushes for details or painting whole kits if spraying isnt an option due to weather and such and .. do i dare say it ... tube glue ... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the nightmares that stuff brings back lol
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

Last edited by Steam235 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Steam235 wrote:I can see the appeal of an out of box contest. Not even aftermarket decals?
Agreed, see what names people use for ships with STOCK decals
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
FLEETYARD
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by FLEETYARD »

As a newbie: I would also prefer a contest with Shuttles and small ships. I've never seen that bevore and I think that would be exciting. And just for newbies a not too big project.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

MEATLOAFr wrote:
Steam235 wrote:I can see the appeal of an out of box contest. Not even aftermarket decals?
Agreed, see what names people use for ships with STOCK decals
maybe repops of the stock decals cause we all know the most of the older kit decals suck lol and if its an old original kit the decals are most likly shot anyway .

Return to “General Contest Discussion”