I need your input

General discussion for future official AST contests and unofficial (fan run) group builds.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

I need your input

Post by Xen »

The "plan" was to run another contest this year. Up until this point that was put on hold because I needed a break (and to be honest, probably still do). However, another equally valid reason is the lack of sponsorship/prizes available. I want each contest to have some nice prizes. Whether it be vouchers or kits, adding up to a certain amount.

Right now, I have two options. I can put the contest on hold until next year (and see how things play out with potential sponsors), or I can try and find a way around the problem and try something leading up to December.

Forget the theme for now. I need your input on ways we can generate prizes for the top three. I desperately want this to be FREE to participate, but one seemingly popular way of doing things is to charge each participant a small "entry fee" ($5?) and put that towards a prize fund.

Another way would be to see who within the community at AST (GK'ers and modellers alike) would be willing to donate kits. Apart from folks not wanting to give up their kits there is another problem. The more people involved, the more chance there is of something going wrong. It could become a logistical nightmare.

For those that are interested: 1) when would you want to see the contest start? and 2) what are your suggestions for the prize problem?
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: I need your input

Post by zookman »

why not a stock model contest ya know something out of box and an off the shelf kit .. nothing resin just plastic kits from say revell amt monogram and round 2 .... i know lots of us have built multiples of these basic kits but if we can say get some of the kit makers to possibly donate some kits as prises and maybe even have them be judges of the kits ... could be fun .. small entry fee maybe to cover cost of shipping the kits to winners if say they get shipped to a trustworthy person who could then send them to the winners once its decided upon .. ex.. say the kit makers send xen the kits and he then sends them to winners once he knows who won what and its posted by judges here small entry fee by us would offset his cost of shipping ... ... course any other kit makers like the great GKers here can donate as well if they so desire ....

just my 2 cents .. ok probly 5 cents worth lol .. lots of time to get things talked over and such befor anything is set in stone i imagine ..
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

I'm an admin at a retro gaming forum and one way we've handled contests and prizes is to offer advertisement to a sponsor in exchange for some of the items they sell. We create a page within the forum that is used to advertise their stuff and we have a banner ad on the forum's front page for that sponsor. I don't know if that is something feasible for you here but it may be an alternative.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

How about a build someone else's kit, everyone donates a kit and then someone re-distributes them to the others and we all build what we get

different groups for styrene and resin or mixed
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

i had an idea somehwat similar on another forum for a kitbash build ... say ya get 5 peeps who enter .. all 5 pick a bunch of different parts from old kits or parts boxes .. send the different parts to each of the other entrants with a pic of the parts saved .. when all parts are recieved a bash it assembled using all the parts ya got and the pics used to show what ya got from who and see who can come up with the wildest looking craft lol ... parts can be from any type kits .. planes trains cars trucks sci-fi ships figures ect .. i would exclude resin just to make basic assembly easier to do with normal plastic cements ... part counts sent can be say 1 big part or a bunch of lil greeblie parts or any combo ya feel as long as each other entrants gets some parts to use ... probly a pain due to shipping costs but should be minimal since not alot of weight in package .. was an idea but realy didnt go far lol summer came and peeps got busy and topic forgotten lol ... but its an idea maybe for something weird and out of the ordinary lol
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

zookman wrote:If we can say get some of the kit makers to possibly donate some kits as prizes and maybe even have them be judges of the kits ... could be fun .. small entry fee maybe to cover cost of shipping the kits to winners if say they get shipped to a trustworthy person who could then send them to the winners once its decided upon.
The GK'ers I've been in contact with aren't interested. It's been a while though and some might be interested now. Other new GK'ers might be too. Logistically, I'd want to either have 5-6 GK'ers send the kits to a reliable source or just have one or two GK'ers sponsor the contest, at which point they could ship direct to the winner and/or top three.
TrekMD wrote:I'm an admin at a retro gaming forum and one way we've handled contests and prizes is to offer advertisement to a sponsor in exchange for some of the items they sell.
I'm not sure how well folks would take to "front page" ads. Besides, I don't think AST has enough clout to encourage such sponsorship. I'm curious how you've set it up though, so please post or PM a link to your site.
MEATLOAFr wrote:How about a build someone else's kit, everyone donates a kit and then someone re-distributes them to the others and we all build what we get different groups for styrene and resin or mixed
That's a good idea, but a logistical nightmare. Too many things could (and probably would) go wrong). The only way around that is kits donated as prizes, sent to an admin. Even then, I doubt there would be enough interest.
zookman wrote:i had an idea somewhat similar on another forum for a kitbash build ... say ya get 5 peeps who enter .. all 5 pick a bunch of different parts from old kits or parts boxes
Again, the idea is very interesting, but it would be another logistical nightmare.

Keep the idea's coming. Focus on ways prizes could be obtained. I will do my part by contacting folks and seeing what can be done.
TrekMD

Post by TrekMD »

Just sent you a PM with the link. :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
curt
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by curt »

For any contest i've ever been involved with, kits or parts are donated by whom ever. They get sent to a main person who then sends prizes out to the winners. Now best way to get peizes is sell the contest an the forum. Ask distributers, sponsers, etc if they are willing to donate a prize to the contest. I have found most who want to get there products knowen, or build a bigger customer base they have no problems donateing.

As for the kit swap. I would be intrested in that. Also a kit bash contest might be cool. As for the kit swap ask for a number of modelers. Then assign numbers, use a random number generator to match up contestants. Then pm the contestents with who they ship to. Sit back and wait for the kit. I have done sevral wood trades this way an it works out well.

I am intrested in this either way it goes, contest or challange.

Curt
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

I'm not focusing on the type of contest now. I want to see if I can get something that I deem is special enough to attract a good crowd, then go from there.

TrekMD: I will check out the link you sent and be in touch soon. :)
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

hey i know ... maybe we can get dana to talk the guys who are making the big 1/1000 1701e kit to donate one as a top prise lol i know lots of us want one lol

Return to “General Contest Discussion”