Future Decal Sheet Question

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Future Decal Sheet Question

Post by MEATLOAFr »

I'm drawing up some new decals, and have a few questions for some people... and one lucky helper with get a free sheet of them (as I will need a guinea pig)

Letter sizes: what size letters should I include? Should I include special characters ie - !@#$%^&*()<>/\|?
Is 1/2 inch to big? - was thinking matbe a page of just these
page half 1/4" & 1/8" with a few rows of U.S.S. & NCC- in both sizes
should I do some other sizes?

Also have a set of emblems & hull markings I've drawn up, wondering about what sizes to do those as well
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Future Decal Sheet Question

Post by MEATLOAFr »

NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Since most of the Tng era on are by and large of the 1400 scale- I'd recommend going with that.

As to punctuation marks- I'm of the opinion that such is less likely to be desired or needed.
(U.S.S. Enterprise!)(U.S.S. Enterprise*) (U.S.S. This & That).

As to the alphanumerics- I'd be of the opinion: That there should be at least 3 of each available. As I just found out (a month or so ago) when I had the motivation to decorate a kit- that "X" tends to be in short supply. For some odd reason.

Emblems? That sounds intriguing. I'd be curious to see what you have.

I would make a poor guinea pig at this time. Perhaps next year.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Moongrim wrote:Since most of the Tng era on are by and large of the 1400 scale- I'd recommend going with that.

As to punctuation marks- I'm of the opinion that such is less likely to be desired or needed.
(U.S.S. Enterprise!)(U.S.S. Enterprise*) (U.S.S. This & That).

As to the alphanumerics- I'd be of the opinion: That there should be at least 3 of each available. As I just found out (a month or so ago) when I had the motivation to decorate a kit- that "X" tends to be in short supply. For some odd reason.

Emblems? That sounds intriguing. I'd be curious to see what you have.

I would make a poor guinea pig at this time. Perhaps next year.
for the letters I wast thinking of at least 6 rows of A-Z, followed by 8 NCC & USS types... might have to add a few more rows of numbers so there's enough for good randomness

I'll have to pull out the decal stash and see what sizes the letters turn out to be for each scale

as to emblems... I have 11 different Klingon's (various houses and TOS & TNG era main logo's) several Romulan, Ferengi, Borg, and Starfleet with LOADS of Federation (each department, I.E. security, medical, command, science ETC) in each era (TOS, TMP, TNG VOY/DS9, Future & STO styles)
I have other I plan on doing when I get the time - as soon as my current project is finished

random hull markings, "transporter vents", and am up to suggestions for adding some others
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

I would be interested in being your guinea pig.
scales I'm interested in are 1/1400 ,1/1000 , 1/670 ,1/537-ish :?
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

One point of contention for non-federation emblems: what script are you going to issue with such?

You'll have tons of Federation style script- but how will that go with say....Ferengi logos?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Moongrim wrote:One point of contention for non-federation emblems: what script are you going to issue with such?

You'll have tons of Federation style script- but how will that go with say....Ferengi logos?
I do have Klingon, Romulan, Bajorian, Vulcan, Borg, and Ferengi Fonts
With the federation, I suppose I could do a TOS era version, and a TNG era version

Max Nex wrote:I would be interested in being your guinea pig.
scales I'm interested in are 1/1400 ,1/1000 , 1/670 ,1/537-ish :?
I'll keep that in mind
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

Lifepod htches - various scales

Letters & Numbers

Emblems
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Can I make a suggestion? I've found it almost impossible to cut out letters and numbers without damaging ones on either side if they are printed to close together (it gets worse as the scale goes down).

Andy
Gidiot
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Gidiot »

Those look Great! I agree, most scales will be of the 1/2500 and 1/1400. There ares more and more in 1/1000 and even the bigger 1/350 (I'd love the get a complete lineage in 1/350 all the way back to the Man of War/Sloop :shock: ) but until more kits are made available I'd stick with the 1/2500 and 1/1400. As for TOS emblems, are you planning on making the original 12? Only the Big E had the Delta....(just saying - not at all interested in any of the other :Cough - Intrepid: emblems :Cough - Intrepid:.... ;)

Return to “Customizing”