Flexible LED filaments (video)

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Flexible LED filaments (video)

Postby Cubey Terra » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:40 pm

BoingBoing posted a link to this video about flexible LED filaments. This looks like it could be useful for internal lighting, though I'm not sure how one might supply 70 volts safely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_XiunR-cAQ

What makes these especially useful isn't so much the strips of micro LEDs, but the phosphorous sleeve around them that evens out the light.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Flexible LED filaments (video)

Postby kobayashimaru » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:32 am

Great Find Cubey! (tangent: cub-ee, or cube-y for pronunciation?)
These'd be good for Borg or Romulan projects.
I don't know the thermal properties though, that's more of a consideration for us model makers heh
It might get quite hot, which'd cause the ship to come apart.

This reminds me of that NZ bloke that collects lightbulbs of all kinds - the channel you linked to has a lot of great lighting ideas! :D

The voltage might be lowerable, and amperage might be lowerable too, for a faint glow.
70V does seem a bit... maybe one-way capacitors from cameras etc could work? There's a few circuit diagrams I'm thinking might work.

It looks to be wired in parallel too, so that'd be great for nacelles or lighting panel strips for Borg,
because the guy from the vid shows some lights that flash cycle through colors, etc.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:17 pm

When applying 70 VDC, you could always put a voltage amplifier into the base of the model display. Mostly I'd say they'd be great for lighting warp engines along the length.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:54 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:Great Find Cubey! (tangent: cub-ee, or cube-y for pronunciation?)

It's like "Q-B". :)

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Moongrim wrote:When applying 70 VDC, you could always put a voltage amplifier into the base of the model display. Mostly I'd say they'd be great for lighting warp engines along the length.

Yup. Exactly what I was thinking. They would provide a nice even light without hotspots.

Return to “Customizing”