Finishing a 3D printed model?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Finishing a 3D printed model?

Postby Tesral » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:25 am

Moongrim wrote:I As to drilling (if you need to), you're gonna end up with a WSF covered drill bit that takes forever to clean off.

s l o w d o w n.

When drilling any kind of plastic I crank the drill speed tn the lowest setting and gradually increase until I get effective drilling without melting.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 am

i very rarely use a power drill in my builds ive got a small set of bits i can use by hand tho they do come with a small battery powered drill and it dont turn very fast itself even with fresh batteries . tho im also limited to only 6-7 different sizes for now

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Tesral wrote:
Moongrim wrote:I As to drilling (if you need to), you're gonna end up with a WSF covered drill bit that takes forever to clean off.

s l o w d o w n.

When drilling any kind of plastic I crank the drill speed tn the lowest setting and gradually increase until I get effective drilling without melting.

Same here. I prefer my power drill over my dremel for that reason. With the trigger I feel I have more control over the speed. I have yet to melt a model
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Well you need to be able to penetrate said model in order to make any headway. That WSF plastic is tough, but it's also prone to melting (which is why they use it).

Regular sanding becomes a exercise in futility.

Slowdown? No sweat. I can sit and drill all day doing that.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:39 pm

I wonder if folks would be more willing to pay for the higher priced materials, if they knew what it took to make WSF look good. We could do with a review of a few ships in different materials. Personally, I'd only go for FUD. It's a fitting acronym, considering that's the sound your shocked, unconscious self makes, when you've collapsed after seeing the price. :innocent:

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:18 pm

I'm not questioning anybody else's mad modeling skills. But it is important to stress that WSF, or any other plastic Shapeways uses, is a different beast than the stuff we're normally used to (remember Q's admonishment to Picard about how the Federation measures itself against "pathetic" adversaries like the Klingons and Romulans? Substitute resin and styrene for the last two). So if you haven't tried working with it, feel free to contact us that have. I know that Moongrim, Tesral and I have had stuff printed and had to work with it, as opposed to others who have stuff printed for the purpose of using them as masters.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:34 pm

Various types of ABS. Tough stuff indeed. Lego is made from ABS.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:04 am

Having customized GI Joe and Transformers toys, ABS doesn't bother me. Nylon, on the other hand, I hate that stuff.

dJiPi
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby dJiPi » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi folks, hi E.G.,
Some of you are referring to Bondo, what's that, have any picture so I can ask my local retailer to try to get some ?
Thanks.
dJiPi the froggy

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:00 pm

dJiPi wrote:Hi folks, hi E.G.,
Some of you are referring to Bondo, what's that, have any picture so I can ask my local retailer to try to get some ?
Thanks.

This stuff:
http://bondo.com/bondo-all-purpose-putt ... Bu3STjC.97

You'll want to use it in a WELL Ventilated area- as it reeks.

Automobile putty.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Finishing”