Using Ink Pen for Windows?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Using Ink Pen for Windows?

Post by SKO »

I usually don't bother doing the windows on my 1/1400 scale. Frankly w the aztec decals on the E and the multi color scheme on the C I don't really think they need that added detail to look complete. I've decided however you just can't break up all of the monotony of the giant D without doing those windows. I know some people use ink pens for that. Any tips? What pen to use? Common issues?
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Using Ink Pen for Windows?

Post by MEATLOAFr »

extra fine tip - test out on a scrap part first, watch ink flow while using
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp »

I use "Pilot, projector permanent markers" and "Edding 404, permanent markers".
Both tipes with .75mm and 1.0mm tip sizes.
My main colors are Black, Red, Blue, Green, and when I can find, Yellow.

They both work fine for 1:2500 scale, so I'm sure they'll work very well for 1:1400 scale.
Laterz...
Vahmp
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

Vahmp wrote:I use "Pilot, projector permanent markers" and "Edding 404, permanent markers".
Both tipes with .75mm and 1.0mm tip sizes.
My main colors are Black, Red, Blue, Green, and when I can find, Yellow.

They both work fine for 1:2500 scale, so I'm sure they'll work very well for 1:1400 scale.
Awesome, thank you.
Vahmp
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Vahmp »

Don't mention it. :lol:
Laterz...
Vahmp
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I know that the OP asked specifically about the use of pen, but here it goes an alternative. Lately I have made a 1/2500 Enterprise "E" so if it worked well for such a small scale it probably will work also to 1/1400. It's really simple and the trick consists on use the low relief of the model to work for you.

I should mention that I used some kind of enamel or lacquer from a rattle can for base color. The point is that the base color MUST be a paint that won't be removed when rubbed with water. So here we go. I just painted uncarefully over the windows with black acrylic paint using a brush. Actually I didn't paint the windows one by one, instead I painted a large strip covering the whole crap (windows and all the hull around them). Then I left it drying overnight. On the morning after I started rubbing the whole area furiously with a cotton swab damped with water. Of course I used several cotton swabs to get the whole job done. Anyway, as I was rubbing the area the top paint was being removed but remained inside the windows since they are in low relief. I found this an easy and really quick way of paint several windows at the same time.

:)

Here it is the link for the result:
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4351

PS: Of course with this technique the windows will be as sharp as the quality of the tool used to stamp your kit!

;)
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:I know that the OP asked specifically about the use of pen, but here it goes an alternative. Lately I have made a 1/2500 Enterprise "E" so if it worked well for such a small scale it probably will work also to 1/1400. It's really simple and the trick consists on use the low relief of the model to work for you.

I should mention that I used some kind of enamel or lacquer from a rattle can for base color. The point is that the base color MUST be a paint that won't be removed when rubbed with water. So here we go. I just painted uncarefully over the windows with black acrylic paint using a brush. Actually I didn't paint the windows one by one, instead I painted a large strip covering the whole crap (windows and all the hull around them). Then I left it drying overnight. On the morning after I started rubbing the whole area furiously with a cotton swab damped with water. Of course I used several cotton swabs to get the whole job done. Anyway, as I was rubbing the area the top paint was being removed but remained inside the windows since they are in low relief. I found this an easy and really quick way of paint several windows at the same time.

:)

Here it is the link for the result:
https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=4351

PS: Of course with this technique the windows will be as sharp as the quality of the tool used to stamp your kit!

;)
That's a good tip. I've done something similar but usually I wipe the excess away after 5 minutes rather than letting it dry overnight. Less hard rubbing that way.
For models like the D with those oblong windows I find just using some thinned black or white enamel works fine. If you get it the right consistency, and use a fine tipped round brush, you can just touch the tip in the recess and it will just flow right up to the edges. Very quick and neat.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

trekriffic wrote:That's a good tip. I've done something similar but usually I wipe the excess away after 5 minutes rather than letting it dry overnight. Less hard rubbing that way.
Initially I tried to do this after 10-15 minutes because I was in a rush to see the result but then it started to remove part of the low relief together as I rubbed. Leaving it cure more time gave to me more control in the top removal. I think that this behavior may change depending on the paint make (I used a domestic brand for canvas). If it was Tamiya acrylics probably would be necessary to use a torch and a chisel.

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

NCC1966 wrote:Tamiya acrylics probably would be necessary to use a torch and a chisel.

:lol:
Tell me about it. I would use a thinned "craft paint" if using that method. They come off easily as it is when you don't want them to..
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by SKO »

Thanks for all of the feedback. I have been using a very fine waterproof sharpie and my 1701-D looks much better than the boring unbroken grey it was before. Will post pics later.

Return to “Finishing”