Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:18 pm

I have visited some topics where the modelers do "weathering" on their starships.

:shock:

OK, I won't discuss the quality of their work as usually they do it fine. However since the first time I saw that I confess that it bugged me a lot. I have seen people apply weathering like on military vehicles. It looks very odd and unrealistic for me.

I could accept such similar kind of weathering on Klingon rapine preys, runabouts, small shuttles and even on Voyager that are all ships designed to land.

But it's really hard to imagine it on ships that operate exclusively on space. Ships from classes such as Constitution or Galaxy certainly use some kind of continuous energy shield to protect the ship from small debris and cosmic dust. At least if they do not do that with all the technology they have they would be stupid, wouldn't they? The ONLY "weathering" I really could imagine to happen is some mark fading due to UV. Not even in the plates because I believe ships aren't painted.

Beside that, in movies and series episodes I NEVER have seen one of those ships look weathered. Truly, it sounds like a huge conceptual mistake for me.

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Postby Moongrim » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:04 pm

Ah but the Enterprise TOS did in fact make it through some atmosphere. Tomorrow is Yesterday. Black Hole time warp- Earth's Atmosphere.

TNG- The Arsenal of Freedom, into the planet's atmosphere to get the attacking cloaked probe to reveal it's location.

Oh I agree- there isn't much in the way of 'weather' in a hard vacuum that hasn't been already swept up by the deflector shields.
Perhaps keep in mind that to the human eye- anything that appears perfect....seems 'wrong' somehow. We're all too used to seeing items that have been in use as not being pristine in condition.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 am

Eh, I like to go with the rule of cool. If it looks good, do it. I don't usually weather my Federation ships, but Klingon ships looks extra sweet with a bit of weathering, which I am planning on doing one of these days.

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:25 pm

I agree, if the ship never lands, don't go crazy on the weathering.

But, you also have to consider the look of the model. If you do some fading on the base coat to accented the shape of the ship for example, it will look better than a plain base coat where nothing is going on.

That's why they did the "aztec pattern" on the studio models, they needed to make the base coat "busy" without having to do some weathering...

So, when aztecing isn't an option, some weathering can make a ship look more interesting...

krt515
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby krt515 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:25 am

It may not be weathering exactly, but you could imagine colors fading from exposure to UV or what ever type of radiation encountered in deep space. maybe the occasional bumps and pits from micro metorites that slip by the nav deflector? I too like the rule of cool! 8-)
Is that all you've got? A cheap trick and a cheesy one-liner?
Sweetheart, that could be the name of my autobiography.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:22 pm

Yeah, rule of cool is definitively too much better than accurate! Ever!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:57 pm

I'm of the pristine school myself. However one of the coolest models I ever saw was a rusted out car in the middle of a field. Over grown grass, even a tree right in the middle of the car. Wonderful piece of work. The judges ignored it for the rivet counter models.

I love that kind of creative energy, but it is not how I personally roll.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:21 pm

Tesral wrote:I'm of the pristine school myself. However one of the coolest models I ever saw was a rusted out car in the middle of a field. Over grown grass, even a tree right in the middle of the car. Wonderful piece of work. The judges ignored it for the rivet counter models.

Getting that fully rusted out jalopy (or hulk in this case) look really isn't easy. That definitely should have had some sort of recognition.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Tesral wrote:I'm of the pristine school myself. However one of the coolest models I ever saw was a rusted out car in the middle of a field. Over grown grass, even a tree right in the middle of the car. Wonderful piece of work. The judges ignored it for the rivet counter models.

Yeah, I love that kind of well done weathering. Occasionally I see somebody rust out a part I know to be plastic, on the real thing, but other than that, it looks great. But, it's not a type of modelling I personally want to do. But, it doesn't keep me from falling in love with things like Fat Betty.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:22 am

DefiantClient wrote:Eh, I like to go with the rule of cool. If it looks good, do it. I don't usually weather my Federation ships, but Klingon ships looks extra sweet with a bit of weathering, which I am planning on doing one of these days.

Yeah I agree with that. I personally think unless you are going for some battle damage, Fed ships should look shiny and new in most cases, much like the US Navy. I never cared for the "rust ring" on the TOS Enterprise. I would rather it look like the Enterprise does in the remastered blu ray edition.

The Romulans should also have well-maintained, undamaged ships, much like the empire that inspired them, the Romans.

Klingons, on the other hand, are like the old Warsaw pact subs and tanks: Spartan, constantly in need of repair because they go from one battle to the next, and really the Klingons don't care if their ship looks shiny and new.

Return to “Finishing”