Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Weathering on starships? Seriously?

Postby Tesral » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:46 am

I like that, Warsaw Pack. Like a Russian airfield, grass growing in the taxi ways, the planes not spick and span.

A Klingon is too busy USING the ship to worry about how it looks.

And like themselves, battle scars are a thing of honor.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:27 pm

Weathering in space is a real thing. It's not oxygen driven rust that we know, but there is radiation and cosmic particles among many other things that would contribute to wear and tear on a ship.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:17 am

harristotle wrote:Weathering in space is a real thing. It's not oxygen driven rust that we know, but there is radiation and cosmic particles among many other things that would contribute to wear and tear on a ship.

Indeed, but it would not look like weather weathering. Air and water do they own thing. No rain in space.

I think the main thing you would see would be fading. Old ships would have faded markings,

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:37 pm

I agree with Yan, I don't think Starships should have extensive weathering, but as Tesral pointed out that, if they do, it shouldn't be oxidation from water or rust; radiation, cosmic rays - yes; rust - no.

I was slightly disappointed with the Smithsonian team and their "weathering" of the 11' TOS production model. It looks like they threw dirt on it to make it look realistic, when it made the model look like it needed to go through the car wash after it had been off-roading for a while.

Don't get me wrong! I love the Smithsonian restoration! It is exponentially better than the previous efforts! (I even have the Smithsonian pics on my smartphone to adore!) But they could have skipped this detail.

Also, as has been pointed out, ships that do physically land planet-side SHOULD have some minor weathering. But the Federation ships, even Voyager, since they keep the interior of the ship so pristine, would expend the same effort on the exterior condition.

Then again, I could be influenced by decades of seeing pristine and heavily lacquered Fighter jet models sitting on Commander's desk glistening in the light. Who knows?!

IMHO!

Steve

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:15 pm

The thing that weathering is to me- is not what we expect it to be in what reality would be like.

The point of weathering a ship- is to make it appear used, old, like Tesral stated- the Klingon ships are too busy being used; to be sitting around in drydock for some TLC.
The problem being- how does one make a ship appear old and hung up wet? We've really no idea of how an old ship in space would look like. And so, what we DO KNOW are the ships some of us see every day: Actual ships in a harbor, old train cars gathering graffitt, junk yards.
Yesterday I saw a Hummer 2 in a junk yard- it wasn't a pretty sight, but it'd been around the block a few times.

And so- we decorate our ships in the way that we're familiar with- weather wise. Thus the 'rust ring' on the TOS.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:50 pm

For a Klingon I would use varying colors of paint. For a gray ship, start with a lighter gray, that is the base ship. Faded, used. Mask and add areas of darker gray, those are repairs and patches. If you have put detail colors, cover a spot with "newer paint" that does not have the detail paint.or even bare metal.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:15 pm

I really have issues with weathering on Star Trek starships...

First, and I don't care what race it is, if they don't have non-corrosive materials, their future tech is pretty craptacular amongst the abilities to break down matter and re-materialize it, go to freakin warp speeds, anti-gravity, and inertial dampening systems. Seriously, sh-- still rusts? Nah- not even the Klingons.

That leaves situations like atmospheric, spacey type interactions, and battles.

Okay- so despite their shielding, ships will get some degree of dirt on them when entering and hanging around in different non-spacey environments. I'm good with that. And I highly suspect they don't have giant Starship Washes.

Battles? Mostly rare. And THAT stuff would eventually get repaired and cleaned up, I have no doubt. Eventually.

Spacey stuff, like particles, anomalies, et c? I imagine, mostly, their deflectors would take care of even the smallest items. Otherwise, we'd have impacts at remarkably high speeds, even sub-light.

Anyway, I think atmospheric dirt, water/dirt stains are the most likely over time. So ships like the Enterprise would never get dirty unless it hit/ entered the atmosphere. And even then, it would have to be something that was cumulative to become noticeable.

Just for funs, here's the ISS. Pretty bloody clean looking to me. I'm sure it'll look pretty nasty the day it comes down.

http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/7534 ... 0_full.jpg
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Yeah she looks good from a distance. But like everything and everyone else, when you get up close:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... aintenance

But after nearly 27 years of spaceflight (Discovery first launched in August 1984), the shuttle shows its age. Its white and black exterior is marred with black streaks, and some SPACE.com readers have wondered why NASA's shuttles - a longtime symbol of American spaceflight – look old and busted.

It turns out, there's a reason.

"She does look worn, and she is," explained Stephanie Stilson, who oversees work on Discovery for each flight. "She's had a very long history."

Discovery and other shuttles earn their weathering mainly from the searing heat of re-entry through Earth's atmosphere, when they are subjected to scorching hot temperatures of up to 3,000 degrees Fahrenheit (1,650 degrees Celsius).
http://www.space.com/9397-mystery-solve ... dirty.html
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:33 pm

And also they do not have deflectors.

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Shuttles will of course get dirty. They have to endure horribly extreme environments.

And the ISS damage Vs dirty isn't the same either. I completely get damage from micro impacts are ridiculous speeds, but that doesn't equate to weathering. Especially on a large scale.

That said, weathering certainly seems to make stuff look more real for some reason. Even in TNG, there's a couple of fly by scenes that have distinct weathering on the leading end of the lower forward section of the saucer.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Return to “Finishing”