Mauve?

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Mauve?

Postby tdwi66 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi All,

I'm building an AMT/Ertl Vulcan Shuttle, and I'm trying to figure what would be the best way to match the mauve color of the filming miniature. I've looked high and low trying to find a match or something very close. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Mauve?

Postby Hossfly72 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:58 am

I looked at some pics of the model, but couldn't see any real mauvey color to it. Didn't find pics of the filming model though. Have you looked at Testors German Mauve in the WWI range? You could lighten it as needed with white, or actually, something like a linen color might work better. Just a thought..
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:12 am

Here is the shot you want

V.Shuttle.jpg
V.Shuttle.jpg (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2220 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:57 am

Ah ha! Thanks Tesral.. I can see the "mauviness" to it now. Wow, that's so subtle that it almost looks like a lighting effect. Beyond my capabilities, but I've seen guys thin down the main color with clear and give it a really light mist coat to achieve their desired affects. Maybe that would be the way to go? That's pure speculation for the sake of ideas though.
Light years beyond my abilities..
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Perhaps some 'weathering' involving finely ground chalk dust- some kid's chalk comes in many colors. Mix and match.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:53 pm

Moongrim wrote:Perhaps some 'weathering' involving finely ground chalk dust- some kid's chalk comes in many colors. Mix and match.

I use crushed artists pastels for this. Works like a charm and comes in so many different colors. They're pretty cheap and long lasting. You really don't need to crush much depending on what you're weathering.

tdwi66
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby tdwi66 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:37 pm

Thanks for all of the replies guys!!! :D

I did look into the Testors German Mauve but, couldn't find anyone who carried it. After further research I found out that it was an old Polly Scale color, and that Testors has since discontinued that line. On Memory Alpha Andy Probert says that color was a combination of Magenta, gray-pink, and muted purples that Trumbull muted down during filming. The closest I found was Belton-Molotow graffiti paint that comes in two shades of mauve. Right now it is primed and at a standstill until I can figure out where to go from here. I don't think I will weather it because my weathering skills are nil. Also, I am in favor of a clean look on my projects.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions!!

Tom

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:24 am

Hi,
Might be a bit too late, but I've got an alternative. A few years ago I build the Vulcan shuttle for my niece and pink was her favorite color.
So instead of going for a mauve, I went for a pink base color.
A few people were skeptic when I started the project, but I got a lot of nice comments once they saw the finished project.

vulcan_shuttle-1.jpg

vulcan_shuttle-2.jpg

vulcan_shuttle-3.jpg

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:32 pm

Julien wrote:Hi,
Might be a bit too late, but I've got an alternative. A few years ago I build the Vulcan shuttle for my niece and pink was her favorite color.
So instead of going for a mauve, I went for a pink base color.
A few people were skeptic when I started the project, but I got a lot of nice comments once they saw the finished project.

vulcan_shuttle-1.jpg

vulcan_shuttle-2.jpg

vulcan_shuttle-3.jpg

Beautiful!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:54 pm

Moongrim wrote:
Beautiful!

Thanks ! The wallpaper decals do half the work...

Return to “Finishing”