Lighting/Painting Nacelles Question

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Lighting/Painting Nacelles Question

Postby harristotle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't know if this is the exact right section but I'll give it a try...

I'm wondering if anybody has an idea for achieving a certain look; I'm planning ahead for my 1/2500 Enterprise C, D, & E builds with lights and am wondering how to light the nacelles, but have them the correct color when they're off.

For example I think I saw somewhere that the Enterprise D has gold grills on the nacelles, but when they're lit they're blue. I've got a few ideas for getting even light distribution, but I feel like painting them the correct color will just act as a light blocker.

On my Constitution Refit the decals I used were the correct color off and it's easy for the light to shine through just decal paper, but the decals for the larger ships are based off of being powered up so they're the wrong color.

I've seen on larger models where people have masked off the grills, but at this scale that's not really an option...

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated!
"I'm your huckleberry"

cannon fodder
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Lighting/Painting Nacelles Question

Postby cannon fodder » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:31 pm

you could get a translucent gold and paint it on with a toothpick hitting only the tops of the grooves. you could also maybe use liquid mask then scrape off the liquid from the tops of the fins. Hmm let me think. Surely there are other options.

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:47 pm

cannon fodder wrote:you could get a translucent gold and paint it on with a toothpick hitting only the tops of the grooves. you could also maybe use liquid mask then scrape off the liquid from the tops of the fins. Hmm let me think. Surely there are other options.

The problem is with the grills this tiny at 1/2500 scale I don't know if I could make that work and even if I did it would probably look a little splotchy with the lights on. If nothing else pops up I'll probably have to try this method... Thank you!
"I'm your huckleberry"

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:11 pm

I suspect that, while the studio models did have gold flux chiller grills, it never looks gold on-screen after they add visual effects, even in scenes where the nacelles are completely powered down.

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:30 pm

Cubey Terra wrote:I suspect that, while the studio models did have gold flux chiller grills, it never looks gold on-screen after they add visual effects, even in scenes where the nacelles are completely powered down.

I'd be ok if it isn't a perfect shooting model match, but I just don't want to paint it blue. It wouldn't look right to me while powered off which is how it would be displayed most of the time.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:42 pm

harristotle wrote:
Cubey Terra wrote:I suspect that, while the studio models did have gold flux chiller grills, it never looks gold on-screen after they add visual effects, even in scenes where the nacelles are completely powered down.

I'd be ok if it isn't a perfect shooting model match, but I just don't want to paint it blue. It wouldn't look right to me while powered off which is how it would be displayed most of the time.

As I recall from those scene where the Ent C is completely powered down, the grill is kind of transluscent grey. Research would be needed I guess. You could conceivably paint the grill with grey transparent paint and use a blue LED to light it. However, you'd have to put an internal partition between the blue part of the nacelle and the red, to avoid light leakage. You certainly don't want either part to glow purple. :)

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:57 am

Cubey Terra wrote:
harristotle wrote:

As I recall from those scene where the Ent C is completely powered down, the grill is kind of transluscent grey. Research would be needed I guess. You could conceivably paint the grill with grey transparent paint and use a blue LED to light it. However, you'd have to put an internal partition between the blue part of the nacelle and the red, to avoid light leakage. You certainly don't want either part to glow purple. :)

Never heard of transparent gray, but just googled it and got a Testors airbrush paint. This could be perfect though! I'm going to be doing my own color scheme for the Enterprise C since I hate the screen accurate look and I was going to go for black to tie it into the Constitution and Excelsior class nacelles. I wonder if the opaque black from the same line would also achieve this look. I'd be painting a very thin coat on so as to allow maximum light through. I also bought the transparent blue parts for the nacelles so this would probably help the affect. Thank you!
"I'm your huckleberry"

Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Cullenszoo » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:14 am

I don't know where your at with this but what about printing gold or copper color decals that are just lines with clear spaces between them? That should give the same effect when powered down but would allow the blue to shine through when it's powered up.
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977

harristotle
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby harristotle » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:54 pm

Cullenszoo wrote:I don't know where your at with this but what about printing gold or copper color decals that are just lines with clear spaces between them? That should give the same effect when powered down but would allow the blue to shine through when it's powered up.

This seems like such an obvious answer lol if I can find someone who would be willing to print the decals for me this is probably the best way to do this. My experience on the Constitution Refit tells me I wouldn't even need to leave lines in between. The parts I'm using are clear so the only obstructer would be the incredibly thin decal paper. Thank you!!!

I'm still working on the Enterprise B so I'm quite a ways from being at the physically implementing a solution phase. This gives me plenty of time to look at all possible solutions and test the most feasible.
"I'm your huckleberry"

Return to “Finishing”