Starcraft Resin Kit Molding Issue

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Starcraft Resin Kit Molding Issue

Postby IceGiant » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:29 pm

I just received my 1/1400 starcrafts Nova class kit. It's only the second resin kit I've dealt with. I'm familiar with bubbles, and release stems but I'm not sure what to do with the space warts my kit has. Anyone seen this before or have any suggestions?

Last edited by IceGiant on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Resin Kit Molding Issue

Postby zookman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:47 pm

air bubbles in the mold itself or a damaged mold . most look like they can be cleaned off failry easy with a good sharp blade and some carefull cutting the big one on bottom ya might have to take a small file to to get it level with the hull others look like they could be a pain .. maybe contact the maker and show him the pics and he may replace it with a better one

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:01 pm

What zookman said. It looks like the mold rubber wasn't vacuumed enough before pouring over the master. It's not really a big deal unless it's hiding fine detail. I get this sometimes on the kits I sell to you guys, but I try to clean it off before you see it. I gently use a dental tool to pick them off, but sometimes a knife and a little sanding is required.

Just a note, the rest of the casting looks fabulous. The quality of Starcraft kits is very high as a general rule.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby IceGiant » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:10 pm

Thank you for the advice, both of you. Is this something StarCraft(thru federatrions models) would replace? Or just something I will need to try and muddle thru?

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:02 pm

IceGiant wrote:Thank you for the advice, both of you. Is this something StarCraft(thru federatrions models) would replace? Or just something I will need to try and muddle thru?

I would contact Dennis directly. He's a member of this forum and here's his profile Starcraft Models. I'm not sure how often he checks this forum, so I would give him a week or so to respond to a PM. If you don't get an answer after a reasonable amount of time, then contacting Federation Models might be the next step.

Also, I suggest changing the title to "Starcraft kit molding issue". Dennis would surely see that as soon as he logs on. As it stands, the title is kind of vague, and he might have passed over it without noticing. So do both - edit your very first post to change the title -AND- send him a PM (let him know about this thread so he can respond). We'll see if that works. ;)
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

vikingborg
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby vikingborg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:50 pm

IceGiant wrote:Thank you for the advice, both of you. Is this something StarCraft(thru federatrions models) would replace? Or just something I will need to try and muddle thru?

Don't take this the wrong way but it's a resin model so I know when I order a kit that's resin I'll be sand and filling bits on the kit. That's I life of a modeller, I'd just get on with it looking at the kit it's self looks great only small bits need doing.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:01 pm

I agree with vikingborg. What I see should be relatively easy to remove. It just takes some practice. I don't even notice these things anymore, I just knock them off, sand if needed, and keep going with a build. But if you really feel that it's more than difficult than you can work with, then contact Dennis as I suggested. Maybe there's an easier resolution.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:14 pm

same things happen in plastic kits from time to time .. nothing like spending good cash on a cool plane kit only to open it up and find half of one fuselage part is not fully molded.. took a pic and sent the pic and kit number to the makers support email and got a responce saying for the problems and give us your mailing adress and we will send replacements right one .. hell didnt get just the part they sent a whole nother replacement kit .. i but their stuff alot when i can lol

IceGiant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Re: Starcraft Resin Kit Molding Issue

Postby IceGiant » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:30 am

Thank you Del, I ended up changing the title and sending him a private message.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Starcraft Resin Kit Molding Issue

Postby el gato » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:01 pm

I also agree with Del & vikingborg. These types of casting issues are just part of dealing with some resin kits. I don't contact the manufacturer unless the part is seriously deformed or the defect obscures or overwhelms a model's detail. Besides, dealing with these things has the potential of improving my skills.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Finishing”