magnets

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: magnets

Post by Tesral »

It depends on the application. I have a separated Galaxy, if I ever get around to it I plan to use three places,

On the Vulcan shutter I embedded the magnets in five minute epoxy. Inside the resin aftermarket parts in each case.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

More than one location? Yes I agree it depends on what parts you are connecting. If the structure connects or one part inserts into another (similar to the NSEA Protector) then you only need one magnet connection point. If you are connecting two parts and there are no structural features that would stop the parts rotating relative to each other (and you don't want them able to rotate) I would use two smaller magnets.

It is worth experimenting however as you could find it even harder to separate the hull sections if you have two magnets.

Using magnets this way would be the ideal solution for the Prometheus class so you can display as the combined ship or multi-vector attack mode.
Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Julien »

With one location, the parts will still be able to rotate on each other. With two, they won't...

With plastic kit, I usually put them inside the parts, with styrene between them. For resin, I drill a hole, then putty and paint over it...

For glue, I would recommend epoxy too...
The Belgian Builder
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I use magnets a lot. It's my preferred way to place my models in stands. My suggestion is to use two if the magnet is not coming into direct contact with another magnet or piece of metal. Trust me, the magnet's power decreases noticeably if you're going to have styrene or putty between them. Two magnets working together help keep the subject fairly secure.
2017-02-07 21.55.15.jpg
2017-02-07 21.57.27.jpg
2017-02-07 21.57.56.jpg
2017-02-07 21.58.31.jpg
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Construction”