USS Reliant -> having a very bad time!

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

USS Reliant -> having a very bad time!

Post by NCC1966 »

So, I just need to get it off of my chest!

I am having a very bad time with my Reliant. After to finish all the electronics it was time to close the saucer. Long story short I am at my THIRD attempt. First time the epoxi glue didn't cure. After left it drying overnight with a bunch of clamps when I checked it the morning after the glue was tacky and only a few minutes after I remove the clamps the two halves snapped off of each other. It was the first attempt:

After some inspection I suspected that the glue wasn't the only culprit: the problem was to try to spread it over painted borders. Then I scraped the pieces of old glue and the rest of the paint on the borders off and made a new attempt. This time the result was a little better. After another night the glue was still somewhat tacky but after the clamps to be removed the halves didn't snapped off. After some inspection I found a couple spots where it seemed to be wanting to snap so I reinforced it with superglue. It was the second attempt:

At this point I was kind of relief and thought that I had solved the problem. Then I went to show it to my wife and she asked:

— Did you check the lights? They are turning on fine?
— Sure, the last time I checked (before the first saucer close attempt) they were... — but let's check it!

I picked the PS and tried the circuits one by one and for my horror one of them didn't fire up! Then I separate the two halves, opened the saucer again and with it opened I retested the circuits and this time the one that hadn't fired worked. Since the saucer was already opened anyway I decided to check the solders and the wires and there wasn't anything wrong with them.

So I scraped again the rest of dried glue and since my patience was running out really fast I made some sh*t and screwed the plastic shape in some spots where I am not sure that I will have the skills to fix with putty. Anyway, I went to my third saucer closing attempt, this time using only superglue. It is being the third attempt:

OK, at this point the saucer is completely dirty, scratched and stained by my glued fingerprints. A real mess. To not mention all the superglue excess running over the sides. And I still am not secure that it will keep the halves together (I am really pessimistic). Finally mostly of the previous painting I have carefully masked, layered down and touched up is ruined. Yes, a big amount of my initial drive is gone. Right now I have my feelings divided in three alternatives:

1) Take a deep breath, sing some kind of mantra and just carry on as if nothing wrong had happened;

2) Finish this ship "as is" and ignore all the gross and rude scars in its body;

3) Drag the model to the backyard, put it over an old wood bench I have there and use my ultimate tool on it: a 5 kilogram sledgehammer. I really would do that. Already did before. More than once.

:shock:

I am feeling really frustrated with this project as it is very close to join the list of my abandoned projects OR the list of the "meh" finished projects. No one of the two lists really please me, and if I end finishing it I can see that it will be given away to someone in a short amount of time. I am a believer that when a hobby project crosses the line between the pleasure and the suffering it loses its finality.

The ONLY good side I can see of this big disaster is that it served to open my eyes once and for all that I should not insist on such complicated projects that are obviously beyond my skills and patience. A few days ago when I was still excited with this project I was planning my next one (an 1/1400 Enterprise "E") but now I think that it may be a big mistake to try it and better not to even think about it unless I want to pass for an enormous suffering. Again. I guess that probably I will die in agony right in the stage of drill and shape those tiny SQUARED windows! Better not!

OK, it brings me to the point and I have to start repeating it to myself a thousand times: "I won't build any lighted and/or complicated model anymore. Ever." Maybe it's better to repeat it a thousand of a thousand times. I will make this repetition my new hobby.

And since I am not going to light any other model I think that I won't lay the sledgehammer down on this one. I will try to finish it as my only lighted model. IF nothing similarly scary happens until the end (and I still have the nacelles to glue to the saucer that I believe will be another venture). For sure I am very very VERY far from have this model finished.

:cry:

PS: Thanks for put up with my lament.
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: USS Reliant -> having a very bad time!

Post by NCC1966 »

OK, it's becoming ridiculous and you won't believe this... in my third attempt I tested the circuits and they were working fine. I even closed the saucer and clamped it. But after glue it the same circuit stopped AGAIN! Arghhhhhhh!

:evil:

For sure it is some kind of short-circuit. So, I snapped the saucer one more time and located what could be the problem and insulated the terminals. More scraping (and more damage) and closed it one more time with superglue. More clamping:

I tested the circuits after the glue and they are working. I decided that it was my LAST attempt so even if something evil happen this time I will not snap this saucer again.

Here a few damages caused by my repeated closes and snaps:

:oops:
Thanks,

Yan.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

:blondebanana: :rockbanana: :guitarbanana: :tuxbanana: :rockbanana: :blondebanana:
may the dancing bananas appease the modeling gods to allow you to finish your model without to much more heartache
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Thanks for the cheering MEATLOAFr!

After a third snap and a fourth close it finally seemed to settle in place. The saucer seems to be steady and the electronics seem to be working. Now it's time to fix all the crap I caused in the meantime.

Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

NCC1966 wrote:Thanks for the cheering MEATLOAFr!

After a third snap and a fourth close it finally seemed to settle in place. The saucer seems to be steady and the electronics seem to be working. Now it's time to fix all the crap I caused in the meantime.

It's good to see that you decided to keep going. I can COMPLETELY understand your frustration when dealing with recalcitrant models- I'd swear inanimate objects are possessed by spirits of contrariness.
As to the excess glues and such- consider this:

You've now learned what will not work. Write it down. So as to remind you to not try that in the future. (Mythbusters quote: The difference between doing Science and Screwing Around- is writing things down).

As to the electronics not working- I'd recommend (in the future) keep an eye out for places where the wires get compressed or stretched- which is why i do a test fit before hand, sometimes MANY test fits. Essentially- put the halves together with clamps and see if there are any problems with lighting. If there are- break out my magnifying glass and inspect the wiring for bad solder joints, or compressed wires, or shorted out metal parts.

Things seem to be downright fiendish in their ability to create previous unrealized problems to crop up.

I'm hoping no one ever takes the time to give my 1/350 Refit Enterprise too close of an inspection. Because I had to tear the secondary hull apart 3 or 4 times to replace things. So I know how you feel- frustration wise.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Moongrim wrote:You've now learned what will not work. Write it down. So as to remind you to not try that in the future. (Mythbusters quote: The difference between doing Science and Screwing Around- is writing things down).
Loved it! I have this bad habit of not write things down and rely that my memory will keep them safely. Because that I am always repeating the same errors! I will write those experiences.
Moongrim wrote:As to the electronics not working- I'd recommend (in the future) keep an eye out for places where the wires get compressed or stretched- which is why i do a test fit before hand, sometimes MANY test fits. Essentially- put the halves together with clamps and see if there are any problems with lighting. If there are- break out my magnifying glass and inspect the wiring for bad solder joints, or compressed wires, or shorted out metal parts.
As you will see in my next blog update (getting soon!) one of my big mistakes for this project was not plan it before to start. Usually I never plan because the rush of put hands on and usually I pay the price. Specially this project that is no doubt complex and also the first time I am dealing with electronics I surely should have planned. I simply started to stretch wires and solder stuff and ended with a BIG mess under the hood. You will testify it when see the pictures! Anyway, I am still traumatized by the experience so I am not sure that I will have the guts to face another lighting project, but if I do, I will for sure plan it step by step.

:shock:
Moongrim wrote:I'm hoping no one ever takes the time to give my 1/350 Refit Enterprise too close of an inspection. Because I had to tear the secondary hull apart 3 or 4 times to replace things. So I know how you feel- frustration wise.
I am glad to know that I am not alone aboard this boat. If this Reliant turns out minimally decent I will expose it in a high shelf where people cannot approach too much to look close and hope that the flashing lights be enough to please the non advised eyes. Fortunately after a while even I will forget myself the spots where the ugliest things are and will not seek them.

;)

Thanks for the kind words, Moongrim!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Construction”