Scratchbuilding simple Nacelles - step by step

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Scratchbuilding simple Nacelles - step by step

Post by RogueWolf »

Ah! The amount of pressure to get the bend. Good question, this will depend on the thickness of the styrene you are using. In this case, I had two layers glued together, when doing the bend, I was risking either the glued parts coming apart (I has a little separation) or cracking the styrene.

So the short answer is to go slow, do a little, check for damage, then repeat. For the curve I was going for, I would only apply pressure directly below where the pliers were holding the part. I pinched the pliers on the part every 2 centimetres or so down the length of the nacelle. There will always be some spring-back. So when I glued the two halves together, I used clamps to hold the shape while the glue set. For one or two sections I had to use my hands as the clamps kept slipping off the curved surface.

Now if cracks appear, but the parts are still together, all is not lost. That's what putty is for! Its like drywalling a room, don't worry about getting everything perfect, you hide the mistakes in the finishing! Like drywall, its the puttying and sanding that does the trick! :D
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Burke
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Burke »

Awesome, seems so simple to do but real world is always harder. I'll have to give it a shot at some point! Thanx for the tutorial!
SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind »

So odd question maybe but the grey part on your first attempt what is that from?
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Post by Steam235 »

Last edited by Steam235 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

That's just grey styrene, I lucked into a ton of it years ago for free. I was at a music store and they were replacing the dividers in their cd displays. I happened to notice that it was styrene and asked what they were doing with the old stuff - they were gonna throw it away.

I asked for some and got a ton.
Valar Morghulis
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

ive got a nacell design ive been wanting to do and couldnt quite figure out how to do the v grooves i wanted for the grills on the top and sides . i think by layering strips in thickness i want and then cutting them to size and then filing the edges to fit where i want so they sort of at an angle to flat surface of engine i can get what im looking for. i was trying to figure out how to carve a groove and keep it stright . never thought of doing layers .. ill have to give this a try lol
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

You can get sheet styrene with grooves in it you know. Or you can scribe your own. I was thinking on covering this in a later thread. Another method I was thinking about but haven't tried is gluing styrene rod or half rounds where the warp grills are.
Valar Morghulis
SingleMind
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by SingleMind »

I have done the half round strips laid next to each other. I liked the look even if i ran it the wrong direction so it looks more like a landing pad. :)
Confidence - that feeling you get right before you fully understand the situation.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

If you are going the scribed lines route, I suggest that you scribe first on your styreen sheet THEN cut your part for the nacelle afterwards. I'm looking at my nacelle now and I know I'm going to screw it up if I try to scribe. That being said, I can either scribe, or go the rod route. Or just leave her be...
Valar Morghulis
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

yehive got some of the grooved sheet but for the bigger scale im thinking of making this in it would be ok for smaller grills but for the bigger grill ive got in mind ill need something like a 1/16-1/8 wide groove and about half that deep .. planned on doing a whole sheet of this first then cut it to shape . ive got to tweek the design first befor cutting plastic . and only have to make one since it can go on either side of ship and look the same .

Return to “Construction”