Howdy from Scotland

New to the forum? Tell us a little about yourself and what you collect here.
Thelen
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Howdy from Scotland

Post by Thelen »

Hi All,

Been lurking in the forums lately and its inspired me to look at modeling again its been a while and previously i only really worked on small aircraft models which are long lost.
looking to start back on the Revell tos Enterpirse kit and light it up as i think they look pretty good, i think my skill level would be Novice - can just about avoid gluing my hands together, so looking at everyone's tips and tricks will be a great help

I work in IT until i win the lottery, not sure how this will help me with modelling other than having limited patience left from a day at work.
"Take us out of the system, but not too quickly. The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one."
Scotchyn
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Howdy from Scotland

Post by Scotchyn »

Hi and Welcome, any modeling is good modeling.....even if your fingers are glued together!
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Welcome Thelen.
I am getting back into it too. Your base IT skills will help with the wiring in the models especially the smaller scales.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
Thelen
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Thelen »

Thanks, hopefully, i have done a bit of soldering in the past but that was a while ago so it will be good to brush up on those skills aswell, who doesn't like something to challenge themselves anyway.

i think my model is a 1:600 scale though i see most people go for the 1:2500 scale?
"Take us out of the system, but not too quickly. The Andorian Mining Consortium runs from no one."
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Welcome aboard Thelen! One thing I do know about putting together these models- is that it's soul satisfying to make something and have it stay that way (mostly). And also fantasize being able to have mine own spaceship that I could do oh so much damage to those who angered me.

We all look forward towards seeing what you can make.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Welcome Thelen! I've thought about getting the Revell 1/500 TOS Enterprise for quite awhile. I understand it goes together very well although some of the dimensions don't exactly match up to those of the 11 foot studio model.
I look forward to seeing your progress with it.

As regards helpful tips and tricks to assist with improving your skill sets, you might check out the Newbie Modeler subforum here on AST. Below is a link to the Help Desk:

https://www.allscaletrek.com/viewforum.php?f=62

Everybody here is very cordial and more than willing to help each other out so you if you encounter something you need some advice on just ask.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Thelen
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Post by Thelen »

Thanks everyone , loving the site so far some great tips, impressed with the 1/2500 builds they look tiny not sure id manage that detail.
will try and post some pics of my first build
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

Welcome aboard!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Welcome aboard Thelen! We have at least three things in common:

1) I am an IT guy too
2) I have a great friend in Glasgow
3) I would like to win the Lottery also (although I never gamble!)

Anyway, as Mophius mentioned your technology background will help you a LOT with lighting. I just started it a bit ago (I am still finishing my first lighted model) and as you I am not as good as I would like in soldering. Also mostly of the electronic projects I tried in the past failed miserably because it seems that always there is a couple components in the parts list that I couldn't find anywhere. Not being myself an expert in electronics to find the "equivalent" part it was always the reason to the thing not work and make me give up.

:(

Why I am saying that? Just because nowadays exist a fantastic thing called Arduino that put me on the game again. Think about a logic and programmable card that costs only $3 and that come READY TO USE (no kidding) to your hands. Yup, you don't need to solder any component on it... just hook your LEDs onto the card existing ports. Then write a small C program, plug your card to PC with an USB card and upload the program. Now relax and watch the LED's flash and fade as you will. The day I received my first Arduino card by mail 15 minutes after to rip the package I already had it working!

:mrgreen:

Anyway, be very welcome and feel like home!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Introductions”