2015 No Looping image rule

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

2015 No Looping image rule

Postby Xen » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:26 am

I've noticed one rule in particular keeps being broken. It was added in 2015, so I'm uncertain why.

That rule being "no looping images or GIF's".

If an animated image can 'play' just once, i'm fine with that. Others, might not.

However, ideally, I don't want animated images on AST because they can't be blocked visitors (to the best of my knowledge), such as non-members or not-logged-in members.

Looping images are a problem for myself that have OCD, but also if you're using small devices. I had one guy report that he didn't like AST because it aggravated his epilepsy. I'm not a doctor, and have no wish to verify that. It would however, bother my conscience if my site was doing that to people suffering from any number of medical conditions.

AST is about sci-fi, starships and fun, not the hassles of real life.

Having them as a link should be fine.

N.B. I have been putting on my Mod hat and turning images into links from around that time. I have had to do what I felt was best, but can appreciate that it might have bothered or bewildered folks, some of whom I respect a great deal.

I felt it was right to mention this and 'own up' to the moderating, so other members of the 'team' don't get any abuse.

Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 2015 No Looping image rule

Postby Griffworks » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 am

I don’t recall ever seeing any gifs anywhere on AST.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:53 pm

:oops: :imsorry:
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Kratok
Perhaps today IS a good day to model
Perhaps today IS a good day to model

Postby Kratok » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Actually, I was not aware of this rule either. :oops:

Mophius, I don't think you have to apologize - no scolding going on here. Xen is just trying to level the field, and explain why he has made a few changes. Griff, I dont really recall much here in the way of animated GIFs either, but there must have been some if Xen is linking them. I appreciate his transparency about the changes being made, and why.

Before anyone else raises the issue: I am a little concerned in that I think the animated smilies may also fall into this category. I'm not clear where the animation threshold becomes acceptable. I am going to ask the dev team to discuss this a little more and try to clarify so that the expectations are clear for everyone.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:08 pm

I for one have never had a line of bananas interfere with the site function.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Postby mophius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:20 pm

I went back through my posts and found one that Xen had removed. I can't remember when that post was but it did say that the gif image had been removed.
I will be more mindful of my future posts.

I joined this time last year so the rule was plain to see. I have joined so many groups and forums in the last year that just a basic acceptance of the rules without really looking at them is what I have been doing.
I have re-checked and familiarised myself of the rules.

Oh and the smilies are ok by the rules being such a small size of file.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur
Shapeways Shop

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:34 pm

no scolding at all from me. i'm not here for that. it just occurred to me that highlighting the one rule that tends to get overlooked might be worth mentioning.

some might argue that it's being a bit picky, and to end an extend, i agree. however, it's the principle. it can start with one and end up with something big and ugly, or a whole train load of them.

the smilies do bug me, but as mo said, they are fine to use. partly because of the size, not all of them being animated, but also being able to disable smilies from your view via your own control panel. which is what i have done.

case in point, marc noonan jokingly called me a smilie nazi for limiting the number of smilies years ago. it was a default setting, but i increased it, so he, and others could have some fun.

on a personal note, the lack of flashing, 'shazam!' type gif's, or forever looping gif's, helps me with ocd issues. that's when i thought of others with other issues. other folks that might be visiting and having a health episode occur because of something entirely innocent.

stranger things have happened.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 am

I am a frequent violator of this rule, not because I seek mayhem but because I was unaware about the prohibition of animated GIFs. I am deeply sorry and I'll refrain from using those from now on.

Dancing bananas, on the other hand....
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

slawton
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby slawton » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:27 pm

Go sit in your litter box and think about what you've done...
no_GoNow.jpg
no_GoNow.jpg (41.73 KiB) Viewed 161 times
I'm a doctor, not a modeler ...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:26 pm

you could put a gif in [url][/url] tags. that way those who get affected by such don't caught unawares, and those that want to see the gif, can click.

as soon as there is a way for gif's to be selectively turned on/off by the user, or something like that, i will implement it and lift this rule.

Return to “Important”