Does AST have a rival?

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
User avatar
feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby feldon30 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:10 am

So I don't wish to speak ill of others, but I was over at SSM poking around and in the process of researching the Enterprise D 1:1400 kit, I found a third-party page talking about Pat Suwalski of Tetryon who had written a detailed article over on SSM about what was wrong with the AMT/ERTL kit and the steps that can be taken to fix it. Well I looked and looked and couldn't find it. Heck I could barely find any posts by Pat Suwalski.

I finally found his name and clicked and it said he had over 1,200 posts, yet a search only showed 40 results. I said wait this can't be right. Was the site hacked? Then I clicked on the administrator's account and he had like 12,000 posts listed but then click his name and only 80 posts can be found. Then I went to the Forum Rules section and found the explanation. Gentlemen, don your straitjackets!

SSM deletes everything after 6 months. This is the most backward horrifying thing I have ever heard of. Think of the tens of thousands of informative crucially important posts and discussions which have been lost. It kills my soul to even think about it. And yet, you look over there and there's 20 different topics about Wonderfest 2016 and yet there were zero post-Wonderfest reviews here. It astonishes me. :(

Scotchyn
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:45 am
Location: Limestone, TN

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby Scotchyn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:57 am

that is a good point about WF, i would have done one, but want able to attend this year,first miss in 10 years :(

User avatar
feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby feldon30 » Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:06 am

I hope to attend next year. I'll post photos and such. I've setup a YouTube channel too. I was at the IPMS Nationals in Columbia but only for a half a day so I mostly looked at the Vendors area and just a sampling of the awards entries. Amazing work!

User avatar
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Posts: 4790
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:36 pm
Location: West of Eugene Oregon.

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby Moongrim » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:12 pm

Deleting such posts, is truly a shame. So much for helping the newbies out.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Scotchyn
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:45 am
Location: Limestone, TN

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby Scotchyn » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:39 pm

going to nationals is on my to do list, hopefully next year at WF a lot of us will be able to meet up

User avatar
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm
Location: Lawton, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby Del » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:37 pm

feldon30 wrote:<-snip->SSM deletes everything after 6 months. This is the most backward horrifying thing I have ever heard of. Think of the tens of thousands of informative crucially important posts and discussions which have been lost. It kills my soul to even think about it. <-snip->


Starship Modeler is a wonderful forum. It's the first forum that I completely embraced and called home. The second was The Mighty Ten-12, which evolved and morphed into what has become AllScaleTrek, thanks to Xen.

That said, the forum has certain rules that OneZero established many years ago, the first one being no inline-photos, just links, to make sure that the pages load quickly for everyone. Next was no political talk, although threads sometimes delve into this area and then get locked. And later, the forum had grown so large that it became difficult to find anything, so certain forums have threads set to self-destruct within 2 weeks, others at 6 months, and others seem to still be around after many years.

John and Linda (OneZero & wife) are wonderful people who have given a tremendous amount of their lives to this hobby. You can meet them if you come to WonderFest, and you'll see what I mean. In the end, it's their forum, which they still prefer to hold onto the old forum software, and we play by their rules because we are their guests. I love the fact that they have kept intrusive ads from being plastered all over SSM, just like AST finds ads to be absent.

Not trying to hammer you for noticing the quirks at SSM, because you're right. But wanted you to know that SSM is also a wonderful place to hang out. ;)

(Disclaimer: I sell kits at the Starship Modeler Store, but that in no way influences my feeling about the forum.)
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby el gato » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:36 pm

It could also be that things get in the way. While AST has grown in users, the active membership is still small with only a handful of users posting on a regular basis. It would only take a small number of RL events among the handful to decrease the activity level. I know I've been away from the bench for other reasons, mostly work. As a result my participation is limited to comments instead of actual modeling eye candy goodness
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby feldon30 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:45 am

Del wrote:
feldon30 wrote:<-snip->SSM deletes everything after 6 months. This is the most backward horrifying thing I have ever heard of. Think of the tens of thousands of informative crucially important posts and discussions which have been lost. It kills my soul to even think about it. <-snip->


Starship Modeler is a wonderful forum. It's the first forum that I completely embraced and called home. The second was The Mighty Ten-12, which evolved and morphed into what has become AllScaleTrek, thanks to Xen.

That said, the forum has certain rules that OneZero established many years ago, the first one being no inline-photos, just links, to make sure that the pages load quickly for everyone. Next was no political talk, although threads sometimes delve into this area and then get locked. And later, the forum had grown so large that it became difficult to find anything, so certain forums have threads set to self-destruct within 2 weeks, others at 6 months, and others seem to still be around after many years.

John and Linda (OneZero & wife) are wonderful people who have given a tremendous amount of their lives to this hobby. You can meet them if you come to WonderFest, and you'll see what I mean. In the end, it's their forum, which they still prefer to hold onto the old forum software, and we play by their rules because we are their guests. I love the fact that they have kept intrusive ads from being plastered all over SSM, just like AST finds ads to be absent.

Not trying to hammer you for noticing the quirks at SSM, because you're right. But wanted you to know that SSM is also a wonderful place to hang out. ;)

(Disclaimer: I sell kits at the Starship Modeler Store, but that in no way influences my feeling about the forum.)

I appreciate your viewpoint and I'm sure they are great people. I wish I could find some logic in destroying between 99.967% and 99.993% of forum content. I've tried, but I just can't. Imagine if there were no libraries and all books and magazines were destroyed after 1 month of publication. Please note that while I am new to the hobby, I have administrated and maintained forums large and small for the 15 years, ten of them on my own dedicated server. I have stepped in several times to help struggling forums stay on their feet with tech support, free hosting, and advice. However there is one constant that will bring down a forum -- management that is absolutely certain they are right.

I really do appreciate that the SSM forum exists, but if I ask a question, unless my question is seen by an expert within 2 weeks of me posting it, I may as well have not even posted it. And tens of thousands of useful discussions with critical information are no longer available. Just as with trains, this hobby is starting to age out. The first generation of people who got into it are dying off and taking irreplaceable knowledge with them.

Again thank you for your thoughts and I do hope to meet them at Wonderfest, but I'll avoid this topic for sure! :)

Morgan "the Rabblerouser" Feldon

User avatar
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer
Posts: 2026
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:37 pm
Location: Lawton, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby Del » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:05 pm

feldon30 wrote:Again thank you for your thoughts and I do hope to meet them at Wonderfest, but I'll avoid this topic for sure! :)

Morgan "the Rabblerouser" Feldon

Please don't take my comments the wrong way. I actually agree with you, as do many others. We've just been members there for so many years now and understand how things work, that while it's frustrating at times, we accept it. Each forum having it's own quirks is okay with me, because if they were all the same, it might get boring.

As far as I'm concerned, if a person is building Star Trek models, AllScaleTrek is the place to be. Starship Modeler has such a varied group of folks discussing a myriad of topics, that it appeals to me as well, especially since I know so many of them personally from attending WonderFest.

In fact, for folks who also build Star Wars kits, Keeper of the Force has a very similar yet different feel as it does here at AST, and it's a great place for beginners to learn the tricks of building SW kits. Everyone is very helpful and supportive. Resin Illuminati is another place where folks discuss lots of kits as they do at Starship Modeler, but without the nanny filters. If you get offended by people telling you how it really is, then I don't recommend it. Those folks are also a lot of fun, and they aren't rude, but they won't post comments to make you feel good unless you actually deserve it - it's not really a place for beginners. But their parties at WonderFest are the stuff of legends. :lol: These are the four places where I hang out the most.

I can't say that I've ever seen another forum that could be considered a rival to AST though.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

User avatar
feldon30
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:34 pm
Contact:

Re: Does AST have a rival?

Postby feldon30 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks again for sharing your candid thoughts. Clearly SSM has struck the right nerve with modelers as its traffic numbers are rather breathtaking!

I've got a long road ahead of me on modeling between now and the "Big D". I've got a 1990 Mustang 1/25 scale car model about 80% done. I've got more cars and a couple of planes to do, all in the interest of building up skill and experience. I know I have the cards stacked against me as most people are lucky to specialize in one area of modeling (military planes OR cars OR star ships OR trains) and I'm trying to learn all of them simultaneously. But so far this has been more fun than frustrating. I've been taking my time (almost 3 months just on this car) and trying to do it to a high level of detail. Hopefully that translates over to the next thing.

I doubt I'll have even started my TNG project by the time of the next Wonderfest but I plan to be there regardless.


Return to “Important”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests