The "To Do" List (and how you can help) Jan 2nd 2016

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

The "To Do" List (and how you can help) Jan 2nd 2016

Postby Xen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:46 am

Last Updated: Jan 2nd 2016

This is a list of things members of AST can help out with. I need all the help I can get these days, so any time you can spare in making sure things get done would be most appreciated. :)

KEEPING THE KIT LISTS UP TO DATE

1) If you see something that is out of date or something new that hasn't been added let me know. You can quote the original post (i.e. the list) and include in red (within the quote) the things that need to be added.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADDING TO THE NEWBIE SECTION

2) If you plan on building something Trek related in the near future you could help AST "bulk up" the Newbie Section with some "How To" build threads. Ideally, I would like to see a simple build with the following (working title) parts of a build:

"Before you start building" with pics of the tools, paints and (if needed) aftermarket parts (such as alternative decals) with kit parts.

"Basic assembly". How to remove parts from the sprue's, without damaging them (and provide a solution to fixing damaged parts). Dry fitting, along with anything else that falls into this section.

"Preparing for detail work". Removing seams, puttying over areas, washing the parts (if resin for example), base coating.

"Finishing". Detail work, decals etc.

2) Since it's unlikely newbies will be placing themselves in the spotlight by asking newbie questions, I would ask members to purposely put themselves in the mind of a newbie and ask questions they might have. Please post such questions as individual posts within the Newbie Modeler Help section.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TWEAKING OTHER AREAS

3) I consider AST as having a "duty" to help inform and inspire folks from all walks of life, that are passionate about sci-fi modelling, and Star Trek kits in general.

One of the hardest things I had to overcome when I started out was gathering the necessary information (e.g. ship dimensions, colors), right tools for the job (paints, aftermarket products for either masking imperfections or accurizing) and modelling techniques.

Since the approach to the same subject varies depending on the scale (1/2500 Enterprise vs 1/1000 Enterprise) it would be handy to start compiling build threads whereby the builder lists the paints, tools and aftermarket products, along with links where to buy them. By doing so, it will allow anyone from a newbie to a veteran modeller that maybe new to sci-fi kits to find everything they need quickly without getting frustrated with trying to source what they need.

I would ask all that contribute build threads to AST take part in this "project". It is not mandatory but I think it would go a long way to helping make scale modelling easier.

Having at least one build thread for at least most of the popular styrene and resin kits would be great. Especially more resin kits. There are a lot of very simple resin kits that are easy to build, but the stigma of garage kits still puts a lot of people off.

4) More builds of resin kits in general. Regardless of whether you post in a "How To" style or just a normal build thread. Please include plenty of pics. Ideally, pics "before", "during" and "after".

5) Sorting through the massive amount of build threads to "cherry pick" those that are either helpful (in a "How To" way) or purely inspirational in the quality of the build. These threads would be copied over to a new "Hall of Fame" (WIP title) style section. We already have a lot of really good "How To" style threads from the three AST contests. That would be a good start.

Please note none of the above is mandatory. You may post as you wish, in whatever style you want. :)

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: The "To Do" List (and how you can help) Jan 2nd 2016

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:05 am

Xen wrote: More builds of resin kits in general. Regardless of whether you post in a "How To" style or just a normal build thread. Please include plenty of pics. Ideally, pics "before", "during" and "after".

Funny you should say that. I bought three resin kits from Federation models last week, one of which is a Belknap class conversion kit for the Polar Lights Refit Enterprise. I could do a "How To" style build thread for that.

With #3... is this something you want us to do with all of our build threads... or just a special project?
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:27 am

Ideally, I'd like ALL who contribute with build threads to do what I have asked. Mainly because we don't have a high enough percentage of contributing members for me to rely on a smaller group to carry the burden of responsibility.

That said, this is NOT mandatory. These are just things I'd like to see. It is part of my continued innovation to make AST a place that is as newbie friendly as possible (and bring in new fans and modellers alike).

I have since amended my post to reflect that. :)

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:07 am

Ah. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll try and include that information in my build threads.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:46 am

Well, I've got the 1/1000 Reliant that I was debating when to start, that might be the occasion...

And I'm planning on painting the aztecs with the Aztec Dummy masks, so it should be interesting build for a lot of people...

Or a resin kit... I got plenty of those to build too...

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:56 pm

Thanks for the tips Xen. It gives me a bit more about what to do when I do it. :mrgreen:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Important”