AST Update (feedback needed)

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
SkunkWerks
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Re: AST Update (feedback needed)

Postby SkunkWerks » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:26 am

I won't even join a closed forum if I can't read the posts first. Closing everything else off is fine. No posting, no contacting members, no searches. But people need to at least see what's here.

I don't post my art (either 3d renders of my designs, or links to interactive demos of my designs) because there's no place here that's actually fitting. I did it one time on a special occasion. I won't do it again. Don't take that as an ultimatum. Take that as there's no place to put it, ergo it has not been put.

You have to decide what's right for the community. Don't be surprised when members of the community decide what is and what is not right for them, and act accordingly.

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:27 pm

For the contest, I'm up for it but probably with a small project. The last contest here I didn't even start my project. My own fault, as I went for a project simply too ambitious, like a lot of people i think.

That's a problem with contests, we all try to "outbid" one another and we end up with project so big that we don't have time to finish them...

So maybe a friendly group build would better. Nothing to be won, just some fun about a common topic...

Or setup the contest so that projects are on the small size, like "Anything goes in 1/2500 scale". You can do anything you want, but in the 1/2500 scale. That would ensure that the projects stay small, and hopefully that everyone can finish...

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:43 am

I've gone ahead with the "streamlining" and moved the whole renamed "Trek Collecting" category/section up a bit so it hopefully gets more attention.

I have also created a new "Trek Art" forum. The artsy folks will have to help me out here as to whether you need a new category/section setup for the art forum (like I've done with Trek Collecting), rename it and/or whatever else needs tweaking (or just leave it "as is"). :)

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:38 pm

Xen wrote:I've gone ahead with the "streamlining" and moved the whole renamed "Trek Collecting" category/section up a bit so it hopefully gets more attention.

I have also created a new "Trek Art" forum. The artsy folks will have to help me out here as to whether you need a new category/section setup for the art forum (like I've done with Trek Collecting), rename it and/or whatever else needs tweaking (or just leave it "as is"). :)

If art needs splitting 2D (flat) and 3D should be enough I would think. Sculpture is called "Models"
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

SkunkWerks

Postby SkunkWerks » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:09 pm

Thank you for adding an art section. Hopefully I will now get off my butt and share.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:24 am

I'm also considering adding a "general art" forum. After some of the really cool things I've seen from Serin and other folks here, other subjects may as well have their own stage.

2D and 3D sections are certainly possible. Although at this point I would like to see if the forum is used (and how much). Regardless, I'll need additional feedback from knowledgeable folks on how to improve it further. I want the art forum (and indeed the whole site) to be as inviting as possible so members new and old get involved.

Having a general modelling forum is another popular choice, but what happens to the "general Trek" section? What is that used for? One of the good things (so I've been told) about AST is it's easy to navigate and find what you're after.

Like it or not (and I don't really) AST has become a site just for Trek modelling. If I had my way I'd create another Trek BBS (forums for books, films etc), or dedicate the site to all genres/universes such as what SSM, SMA and RI do (at least all sci-fi). I just don't see the point in competing though, when the those sites do a really good job (and we'd most likely lose out by competing). The same with sites like Dev Art. They provide everything an artist wants.

It was a shame having to truncate the other sections (and I may merge them further still), but it makes sense to work to our strengths.

My main problem is folks tend to only tell me what I need to know when something goes wrong. That's why you're seeing all these "feedback needed" posts from me.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 pm

I noticed the scale modeling topics are at the very bottom of the forum list now. I feel like the separate scale forums should be closer to the top so people can see a little better. I personally think it should be after the AST forums, but IMO it shouldn't be below the Contests and Conventions forums. Especially the Conventions since Wonderfest is really the only big one most people go to and for the most part is dead until the con rolls around.

My compromised suggested order for the forums would probably be:
All Scale Trek
Newbie Modeler Corner
Tips and Tricks
Star Trek Modeling (Model kits & Miniatures by Scale)
Trek Collecting
Contests
Conventions

You don't necessarily have to do anything I'm suggesting, of course. It just seemed strange to me that a huge attraction of AST is now at the very bottom of the list.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:22 pm

All Scale Trek
Star Trek Modeling (Model kits & Miniatures by Scale)
Newbie Modeler Corner
Tips and Tricks
Trek Collecting
Contests
Conventions

Go large or go home the models are the focus of the forum. You make a good point.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:14 pm

That would be my ideal list Tesral. My list is a compromise to keep the ideas Xen wants in order to bring in new people, which I can totally get behind. It's just the main subjects, which have been a huge reason I've been coming back here, being at the bottom seems very off to me.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:59 am

It's just a test and may very well be changed again. One big problem is that a lot of people only have the modelling section bookmarked:

http://www.allscaletrek.com/viewforum.php?f=6

They just go there, have a look and leave.

It bothers me, considering the effort I've put in with other areas. I'm not sure what can be done though short of lumping every modelling forum under one category (which would look overcrowded).

The other problem is the conversion rate of new member to contributing member is at an all-time low. The traffic is more or less the same, but I wonder how much AST is being hindered by the SW hype from the new film. Does AST have new competition?

I really don't mind people just browsing, but to a point. If we're only getting 2% that contribute I'm not doing my job properly (or something else is messing up the appeal AST has).

Return to “Important”