AST Update (feedback needed)

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

AST Update (feedback needed)

Postby Xen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:12 am

Greetings! :vulcan:

You may have seen some "tweaks" to All Scale Trek lately. There might be a few more on the way, depending on the feedback I get. Please read on and provide your 2c to (some or all of) my AST blurb. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROJECT: "NEWBIE"

To start off, with the help of Trekriffic, AST has launched three new forums dedicated to help the newbie modeler. A "newbie" might be considered brand spanking new to the hobby or just someone at that "basic" skill level.

The idea is to provide a "safe" environment for newbies to mingle with other newbies, share builds, ask questions and learn the ropes, without fear of being a hard time. We already have a great group of folks here, but this is something new I wanted to try because it's what AST has always set out to achieve. Finding ways to make this hobby more inviting, by removing the barriers that make it so "elitist".

I hope the veterans of AST help "give back" by contributing to this new initiative.

I remain unsure what the best approach is with the forum set up though. That is, to have an "open to all" section or closed off, private section.

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AST "OPEN TO ALL" (READ CONTENT WITHOUT REGISTERING) VS CLOSED TO NON-MEMBERS (REGISTER TO READ CONTENT)

The thought has crossed my mind whether it might be better to close off content to non-members. In part or in full. Some sites do this, although I think most I have come across have "open to all" content.

I've always been of the opinion that anyone should be able to read forum content. IF they want to have their say, THEN they can sign up. That seems like a fair trade. However, with the army of viewers/lurkers growing and our contributing members at around 2%, it makes me wonder if it's worth the risk.

Feedback?

POSSIBLE AST CONTEST

I MAY decide to run a contest depending on the feedback I get. Del at MVM has already offered $100 worth of store credit to use however you want (for the top 3), so it might be worth your while. I'm faced with two potential pitfalls though,

1) I'm still on sick leave and don't really have the health to keep the wheels turning (e.g. reminding folks of dates, sending updates, answering questions etc). To the best of my knowledge no-one else within my circle has the time/desire to run the show either. The contest could run on "auto-pilot", with minimal involvement from AST, but that's risky.

2) I'm also not sure if we have enough people to make it competitive. A record number signed up for the last contest, only for that number to be trumped by a record number of incomplete entries.

I'm all for making your membership and daily/weekly visits to AST worthwhile. That's why we try our best to give quality product reviews, quality content, exciting contests, with a really friendly atmosphere.

So, do we have enough people for another go at a contest?

ART FORUM AND "STREAMLINING" EXISTING SECTIONS

Since I'm in the forum making mood you might see a new section for Trek art. Personally, I remain unconvinced we have enough "artsy" contributors to make that work but I have been wrong before. Which brings me to my next topic...

I'm considering merging the three forums for "Star Trek Toys" into just the one. Also, merging the three under "Star Trek Gear" into one forum as well. My reasons for this are simple; I don't have the time to sell the idea and get folks from other sites signed up to AST and "digging our vibe". There are also two Trek sites that do a fantastic job in servicing the needs for Prop and Toy collectors.

The mantra for AST was to always complement and never compete. I feel we provide a great service to Trek modelers and fulfill a genuine need for a tailored scale modeling site. I would love to tap into the tabletop gaming world as that is a personal favorite of mine, but once again, it appears folks are happy where they're at.

Further thoughts / your 2c please.

THE "KIT SELLERS AND AVAILABLE KITS" LISTS

Before AST came along I decided to compile a list of all kits and kit sellers for 1/2500 at the old Ten-12 forum. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I was also dedicated enough to keep it updated.

When AST launched it was "only logical" to have a kit list for each scale in every scale section. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough about the other scales (let alone who sold what), time became a problem, and more recently my health as well.

In the three years AST has been running I have yet to manage to fully update any of the lists, with the notable exception of 1/2500, as Scotchyn initially helped out and then took over. He loves 1/2500, so it worked out well. :)

BUT, that is where his love ends and neither of us have managed to keep the rest up to date. Others have offered to do the work, so I can do a "cut and paste" job, but that didn't happen.

I really don't like seeing a reminder of how bad a job I've done in updating these, so I'd like to know what the next step should be. If they're of value to modelers I'll try and get someone to help me out and get it done. If they aren't then I may mothball all of them apart from the oh-so-very-(seemingly)-complete 1/2500 list.

Thanks for reading, now let's hear what you have to say! :)

Xen

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: AST Update (feedback needed)

Postby Kremin » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:14 am

In my opinion and supject to error due to insanity etc ...........

Xen wrote:Greetings! :vulcan:

Xen

Really great idea like it a lot, some things I know how to do, other stuff not so much so could be very helpful

Xen wrote:AST "OPEN TO ALL" (READ CONTENT WITHOUT REGISTERING) VS CLOSED TO NON-MEMBERS (REGISTER TO READ CONTENT)
Xen

Limits as to what non registered people or there won't be any reason to play

Xen wrote:POSSIBLE AST CONTEST
Xen

As much as I like the competitions, and would consider entering I don't thnik it is the right time yet, unless there is someone willing and able to take it on and it's not worth the added stress on your health just yet

Xen wrote:ART FORUM AND "STREAMLINING" EXISTING SECTIONS
Xen

Possibly as there are many sections that I don't visit but just because I don't doesn't mean others are not interested

Xen wrote:THE "KIT SELLERS AND AVAILABLE KITS" LISTS
Xen

I don't see that every section needs separate seller lists when it could be all in one place (Maybe in the classisfied section) with a list either by by seller showing what scales they cover or as it is now

One thing I would like to see is a list of UK sellers as postage and import charges can add loads on. The same with some modeling tools and suplies that sometime don't exist over here so equivalents would be helpful

EG Kit $250 postage to UK $50 import charge £45 (About $67) I was even quoted over $100 for postage of quite a small item the even with worst estimate shouldn't have cost more than $30 - $40

Of couse they need updating when people either start something new or stop doing a particular range

All this is just my point of view

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Newbie-
I volunteer to help extend any help I could to encourage.

Registration-
I'd suggest making it 'open to all' to read, with a limit of 1-2 comments per day, and read up on a person's profile- all unregistered. Anything more than that (such as emailing a person's profile) registration required.

I'm open to another contest-
But a graded set of Trophy Tiers for completion date for the ultimate winner. Tier 1: completed before deadline, Tier 2: completed after deadline, Tier 3: uncompleted. T-1 "Sparkly" Gold Trophy. T-2 "Silver" Trophy. T-3 Brass Trophy.

Streamlining-
What Xen suggests sounds like a good idea to me.

Kit List-
Hand over the post to an 'Admiral' to be in charge of such. So and so volunteer gets his/her rank upgraded to Admiral of the Kit Lists for the duration of the term (however long). Which would suggest that I'd be "Admiral of Polar Light Previews", if one were to run with it...

Official Welcomer Admiral. And since Starfleet is a quasi-military organization, and since military LOVES to hand out medals... I'm thinking out loud here, mayhap a 'medal list' for folks? For us military Vets, we can invariably see someone in uniform and know within a degree of assurance if and when someone served somewhere and/or with valor in something...etc.
Looking at my profile on the left- I'm an "anything goes admiral" with a trophy indicating that I've won a contest somewhere along the line. There's a whole passeload of free area underneath it.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Tesral
Anything Goes Admiral
Anything Goes Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:57 pm

Xen wrote:PROJECT: "NEWBIE"

To start off, with the help of Trekriffic, AST has launched three new forums dedicated to help the newbie modeler. A "newbie" might be considered brand spanking new to the hobby or just someone at that "basic" skill level.
Thoughts?

We shall see if it gets used. I'm willing to play nice.

Xen wrote:AST "OPEN TO ALL" (READ CONTENT WITHOUT REGISTERING) VS CLOSED TO NON-MEMBERS (REGISTER TO READ CONTENT)

The thought has crossed my mind whether it might be better to close off content to non-members. In part or in full. Some sites do this, although I think most I have come across have "open to all" content.

Feedback?

This is not broken. Please do not fix it. Open to all register to post is working for us.

Xen wrote:ART FORUM AND "STREAMLINING" EXISTING SECTIONS

I'm considering merging the three forums for "Star Trek Toys" into just the one. Also, merging the three under "Star Trek Gear" into one forum as well. My reasons for this are simple; I don't have the time to sell the idea and get folks from other sites signed up to AST and "digging our vibe". There are also two Trek sites that do a fantastic job in servicing the needs for Prop and Toy collectors.

Go for it. Most of the toy and prop forums are seldom used. One toy, one prop/collectible..One art.

I would like to see an art form as well. 2D and 3D art. The later can become models, but it is not scale dependent.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:44 am

Great stuff;
there's a lot of facets to this discussion, so forgive me if I'm a little wordy
as there's so much food for thought here hehehe :lol:

talking around 'newbie' orientated sections;
having easily recognised handles is one of AST's great strengths - its simple and easy to use, and has something for everyone.
So, hopefully a lot of folks will share more content that way,
as they overcome their trepidation, and find taking the risk to be worth some rewards :D
I find the guides awesome - especially making curved inset details or 3Dmeshes,
and very similar to early Modellers & How
or to early White Dwarf.

Turning to whether to put content behind various walls...
it's interesting to see all these different reflections on this.
AST has to do what AST has to do;
and there's a broader context of "the hobby" being on something of a "drought" or receding/waning cycle...
my only concern? (reflection, observation) is that, on other webpresences,
the slow slippery slope towards pay-per-view content and 'monetization' started with a 'free to join to see' -
that led elsewhere to a stratification, and cliques forming etc...
While I don't think any of that would happen at AST, it's something to keep at the back of the mind :D
Putting things behind various walls, or hotlink/deadlink etc... it can also backfire,
if folks don't pick up on the deadlinks in time etc...
conversely - hopefully by putting some content behind a 'low-wall', ie: you've gotta sign up to see stuff,
will encourage more visitors to interact more actively than passively being a 'window-shopper'/'lurker' :lol:

Changing tracks to the next contest;
I'll be frank in saying, I'd be more interested in 1:5000ish scale things :lol: ,
and anticipate the more popular scales being Props or Sacred Scale would be for the bulk of a competition,
with an "AST-Open" Open Category for a mixed bag.

Do you have enough folks for 1/2500? Definitely!
do you have enough folks for an 'open' Open Category - absolutely!
would there be enough for the subcategories, like 1:5000 or Props/Costumes? - at this time, probably not for a dedicated sub-category build off or event.
The criteria for the different types of contest would be interesting.
Constrained Build-Offs would level the playing field --- all of the entrants/builders in say a hypothetical 1/2500 build off, have to all build something never before kitted or seen, and they've all got 2-3 months to build it in.
there could also be a 'recreate-off" - build the most accurate representation of a given model (the sadistic side of me wants to say "build a Merchantman freighter"), with the least budget possible - lowest overall build cost AND highest 'aesthetically pleasing", wins :lol:
1/2500 Scale Open Category is for any kind of ship in 1/2500 scale, any faction or timeline. this could be tricky to separate entries where there's say a really well put together TOS entry, and a quite nicely made TNG era entry, along with a well-made NuTrek ship... I have no idea how tie-breakers get resolved.
Are coins flipped? Arm-wrestle? shared-position?
It would be hard in an Open-Open to compare say, a prop to a costume (or part of a costume) to a ship/starbase model.
Do people feel kitbashing is worthy of being it's own format of contest?

Keeping on a roll, I'm turning to the topic of 'trekart' etc:
I think folks are just incorporating custom sketches and concepts into their fora, rather than creating a separate thread for each facet of themselves :lol:
that's probably "cross-posting fatigue" arising. so, most threads have some degree of leeway,
of course the more conceptual minded could put just concepts-only on AST -
however they want to share trek, that's what AST's about:
Trek first, Trek-Models a close second, sci-fi in the broad, a distant third. :lol:
the sheer awesome that folks come up with, and the hard work they put into their models - from all around the world,
that's pretty awesome to see.
I am yet to figure out where all the devart trek artists have scattered to, and the relative dearth of artists or 'virtual trek model kits' out there (similar to folks who make virtual LEGO kits in 3D as a hobby, which went on to spawn the LEGO videogame series etc)... pepakura/papercraft folks seem to be rarer still hehe
Where is this going? tangentially, I thought most of that was implicitly covered by the 'misc.' 'general' topic fora.
so seeing all of those categories all-in-one makes it much easier to browse all from a fewer tabs/windows open in the browser - and will hopefully encourage more of these other kinds of the hobby.

Moving to the "Available GKers by scale" and sources lists;
those are AWESOME! keeping a rough list of who is still around, and what they do, all in the one index -
that is awesome, and would save a lot of time hunting elsewise. the same thing can probably go for hobby supplies -
as it can be harder to source some supplies, such as sheet acrylic etc.
Unfortunately, most of what I know is for sources of 1/5000 stuff - and the predominant one being makershapedways, where not-naming things in the un-tradition is the opposite way to go, so as to dance with infudgement.
it seems many of the other scales in the last 18months or so, have also had clearing, and not as many options as there once were... not only in sci-fi realms of 'the hobby' - war recreation, tabletop wargaming etc...
it is a cyclic thing, drought - when it rains it pours hehehe

-------
I look forward to seeing what other folks have to say on these intriguing topics,
particularly for the contest-ideas :D

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:02 am

Xen wrote:Greetings! :vulcan:

You may have seen some "tweaks" to All Scale Trek lately. There might be a few more on the way, depending on the feedback I get. Please read on and provide your 2c to (some or all of) my AST blurb. :)

Hi! I'd be happy to give you my two cents

The idea is to provide a "safe" environment for newbies to mingle with other newbies, share builds, ask questions and learn the ropes, without fear of being a hard time. We already have a great group of folks here, but this is something new I wanted to try because it's what AST has always set out to achieve. Finding ways to make this hobby more inviting, by removing the barriers that make it so "elitist".

I hope the veterans of AST help "give back" by contributing to this new initiative.

I remain unsure what the best approach is with the forum set up though. That is, to have an "open to all" section or closed off, private section.

Thoughts?

Elitist? AST?

:lol:

I have found everyone here welcoming and friendly. Helpful, too. I guess you could call me a newbie, though I prefer to be called an amateur. I'm getting better at the building part of things, but I still suck at painting and finishing. Having more experienced modellers tell you they like what you are doing is a real confidence booster! What has really helped me is how patient everyone here is when you give up on something.

I think the newbie section is a great idea. I have my doubts, but I grok your reasoning for it and wish the venture nothing but success!

Close it off or leave it open? Leave it open, please. I'm happy hanging out with more experienced modellers, but would still like to be able to consult the newbies section for useful information.

Xen wrote: AST "OPEN TO ALL" (READ CONTENT WITHOUT REGISTERING) VS CLOSED TO NON-MEMBERS (REGISTER TO READ CONTENT)

I've always been of the opinion that anyone should be able to read forum content. IF they want to have their say, THEN they can sign up. That seems like a fair trade. However, with the army of viewers/lurkers growing and our contributing members at around 2%, it makes me wonder if it's worth the risk.

Feedback?

That's a tricky one. Is the open to all site becoming a financial burden? If so, then you could trying restricting or blocking access to non-members.

I had the same idea as Kremin. Restricting access for non-members could provide an incentive to sign up. You could limit their access to the Trek modelling and newbies sections.

On the other hand, having an open to all site would give prospective members a chance to explore the forum. You know; see what AST has to offer, and by reading the posts, see if they like the look of the crowd that hangs out here. That's how I decided AST is right for me.

Xen wrote: POSSIBLE AST CONTEST

I MAY decide to run a contest depending on the feedback I get. Del at MVM has already offered $100 worth of store credit to use however you want (for the top 3), so it might be worth your while. I'm faced with two potential pitfalls though,

1) I'm still on sick leave and don't really have the health to keep the wheels turning (e.g. reminding folks of dates, sending updates, answering questions etc). To the best of my knowledge no-one else within my circle has the time/desire to run the show either. The contest could run on "auto-pilot", with minimal involvement from AST, but that's risky.

2) I'm also not sure if we have enough people to make it competitive. A record number signed up for the last contest, only for that number to be trumped by a record number of incomplete entries.

I'm all for making your membership and daily/weekly visits to AST worthwhile. That's why we try our best to give quality product reviews, quality content, exciting contests, with a really friendly atmosphere.

If you aren't feeling well enough to organise and referee a contest and you don't think anyone in your circle is equal to the task, then now is not the right time to do it. Next year maybe? I'm certainly interested.

Xen wrote: ART FORUM AND "STREAMLINING" EXISTING SECTIONS

Since I'm in the forum making mood you might see a new section for Trek art. Personally, I remain unconvinced we have enough "artsy" contributors to make that work but I have been wrong before. Which brings me to my next topic...

The mantra for AST was to always complement and never compete. I feel we provide a great service to Trek modelers and fulfill a genuine need for a tailored scale modeling site. I would love to tap into the tabletop gaming world as that is a personal favorite of mine, but once again, it appears folks are happy where they're at.

Go for it. I think one of the three pages you propose merging hasn't seen a post in over a year!

An arts section would be cool! Would it see use? I think it would. Some of us like making digital collages with our models, but there isn't anywhere for us to post them. They always get tacked on to the end of build threads or posted in their own threads in the modelling section. If you gave us an arts section, then I bet you that most of the posts would be composited images of members' models. Having them all in one place would be a benefit. It would save people hours of trawling through the forums or their bookmarks.

How about a general modelling area? I've seen them on a few other model building forums and it seems like a good idea.

Xen wrote: THE "KIT SELLERS AND AVAILABLE KITS" LISTS

Before AST came along I decided to compile a list of all kits and kit sellers for 1/2500 at the old Ten-12 forum. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I was also dedicated enough to keep it updated.

When AST launched it was "only logical" to have a kit list for each scale in every scale section. Unfortunately, I didn't know enough about the other scales (let alone who sold what), time became a problem, and more recently my health as well.

In the three years AST has been running I have yet to manage to fully update any of the lists, with the notable exception of 1/2500, as Scotchyn initially helped out and then took over. He loves 1/2500, so it worked out well. :)

BUT, that is where his love ends and neither of us have managed to keep the rest up to date. Others have offered to do the work, so I can do a "cut and paste" job, but that didn't happen.

I really don't like seeing a reminder of how bad a job I've done in updating these, so I'd like to know what the next step should be. If they're of value to modelers I'll try and get someone to help me out and get it done. If they aren't then I may mothball all of them apart from the oh-so-very-(seemingly)-complete 1/2500 list.

Again, I'm with Kremin here. You don't need to have seperate seller lists for each scale section. Merge them and put the one list somewhere convenient. Not only will it be easier to consult, but it might also entice people to add to it!

Xen wrote: Thanks for reading, now let's hear what you have to say! :)

Xen

No problem!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

pengbuzz
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby pengbuzz » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:55 am

Thoughts?

I wouldn't mind helping out on occasion; much of what I've learned has been from online.

AST "OPEN TO ALL" (READ CONTENT WITHOUT REGISTERING) VS CLOSED TO NON-MEMBERS (REGISTER TO READ CONTENT)

Feedback?

Well, we can try it, and if it turns out to be a "cold photorp", we just drop it.

POSSIBLE AST CONTEST

It would depend on the contest, Xen. I largely dropped out of contests overall online because of politics and other crap.

I do quite a bit of ST art. That said, depends upon the forum. Admittedly, I haven't had a lot of time until recently, due to IRL issues.

Cheeseburgers. Kaiser roll with french fries, a large Pepsi and a GINORMOUS peanut buster parfait! :D

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby TrekMD » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:53 pm

My 2 cents on these...

Newbie-
I think this is a good idea. It will help folks newer to modeling feel more comfortable and welcome, I believe.

Registration-
I think you should only have some content visible to people who do not register. It will give them a sense of the forum and, hopefully, get them to join.

Contest-
These are a good idea. I also think having tiers for skill level may be a good way to run these.

Streamlining-
Never a bad idea. :)
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

spaceghost61
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby spaceghost61 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:04 pm

My 2 cents worth, as a newcomer to the forum.

"Newbie" Section
Though I built models as a kid into my early 20's, I wasn't particularly skilled, though I did the best I could at the time. Re-entering the hobby a couple years ago, I was more attentive to details and learning to become better. I still consider myself a 'basic' skill level in some respects, though I have improved since then. On the subject of a "Newbie" section, I guess it could be a good thing, but who decides who is a newbie? Would there be a set of criteria to determine this, or would it be just a self-diagnosis. Personally, though, it kind of reminds of having to sit at the "kids" table at Thanksgiving while the adults talked about more important things. Maybe this was unique to my family though.

"Open" or "Closed"?
I say the forum should be open for all to read, but you must be a member to post.

Contests
I personally would not be interested in contests, because I build so slow I could never finish a project on time, and the time constraints would cause me to rush and mistakes would happen at an exponential rate.

Streamlining
Makes sense if separately the forums aren't generating a lot of reader traffic and input.

Kit Sellers & Available Kit Lists
Great idea in theory, hard to manage in practicality. As this is an ever changing list, you would have to be on top of it constantly. Even with input from the manufacturers, keeping track of who sells what is daunting. Love to see it, but realize it's too much to ask.

JACarter
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby JACarter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:31 pm

If there's a "Newbie" forum, I would participate in that to answer questions and provide input for it. I think it would be a good idea to have one because then we could all see basic "how-to" questions and provide answers.

I think it's a good idea to let others see what we have going on in the forums without having to register. I think if they see something they like and want to answer or comment they should register though.

POSSIBLE AST CONTEST

A contest could be fun. I enjoy seeing all the entries folks submit even if I don't have time yet to compete. One day, I'll have the time to submit a contest entry, but in the meantime seeing what others submit often gives me ideas to incorporate into my own modeling. Sometimes the Trek stuff can even be applied to other modeling subjects and vice versa.

I'm good either way. "To streamline or not to streamline..." :)

THE "KIT SELLERS AND AVAILABLE KITS" LISTS

Perhaps instead of having multiple sections based on scale, is it possible to have a searchable database in which scale could be a search term? I know almost nothing about running a BBS system like ours, so I don't know if my suggestion is even possible, but if it is perhaps that could be an adequate answer for everyone.

For Instance:

1. Seller logs into AST and fills out an on-line form describing the item(s) that are for sale. This form would include a field in which the scale is selected from a list of possibilities. The list should include an entry for "Any" and/or "Unknown" for those times when scale doesn't apply.

2. Submitting the on-line form enters a record in the database. To keep items from sitting there forever and clogging up the system maybe an auto-generated delete date could be part of the database. For instance a seller has 30 days from the date of entry to either mark the item "sold" or update the information. Doing this also minimizes the amount of "upkeep" time needed from moderator(s).

3. Buyers could enter information into a different on-line form and search for items based on scale or name or item features, etc.

4. To contact the seller the database could have a "Contact" button that sends a message to the seller without revealing e-mail addresses or other personal info.

So, there's my $0.02 worth.

<Signed> A Proud and Mighty Member of the Peanut Gallery

Return to “Important”