How being "nice" to others is a bad thing...

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
cannon fodder
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: How being "nice" to others is a bad thing...

Postby cannon fodder » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:23 pm

True, but consider what i actually said, not to retool the old crappy die but to completely re-do it using the computer model for the 1/350. Cmon if they can re do the excelsior almost entirely they can do what i'm proposing. I was seeking support and all i got was the same thing you just said when it has to be bunk. It cant cost that much to just start from scratch or they wouldnt have done the excelsior.

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:48 pm

I view AST as a friendly and comfortable place to come and browse, lurk, and post. Although I fear I crossed a line with Gorn a few weeks back over a movie issue that he and I didn't see eye to eye on. I haven't seen him post since but hope he sticks around and continues to contribute his gaming experience to the forum.

As for being "too nice" - WTF? Like it or not, the generation of kids today aren't flocking to our hobby in droves. I feel that in order to support the hobby, you should be friendly and welcoming to newcomers. Everyone has to start somewhere and not all of will develop the skills to become modeling 'gods'.

Take me for example, I love to create non-canon models, but I suck at finishing them for display. My painting skills aren't that good. I keep telling myself that one day I'll get there, but the reality is, I just don't invest that much time in paining to get better. I know I should, but it's hard to get motivated, I'd rather build.

And to be honest, I get more of a kick out of seeing someone else enjoy my creations/kits through their own hobby experience. I'm here to have fun and enjoy the hobby.

So when I see a master builder with a finished kit, I tell them what a great job they have done. When I see a novice builder displaying something they are proud of, I don't point out flaws unless they ask for tips to improve. I prase their efforts, everyone starts somewhere, and the only way to get better is to keep on building! (and painting)

So if AST is too 'nice' and 'friendly' so be it! It should be that way to help grow the hobby. If you are that high and mighty in your skills that you have to nitpick novice and expert builders alike, cause strife and troll, I say take it somewhere else.

AST rocks just the way it is!

- my two cents.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:06 pm

cannon fodder wrote:True, but consider what i actually said, not to retool the old crappy die but to completely re-do it using the computer model for the 1/350. Cmon if they can re do the excelsior almost entirely they can do what i'm proposing. I was seeking support and all i got was the same thing you just said when it has to be bunk. It cant cost that much to just start from scratch or they wouldnt have done the excelsior.

Hmmmmmmmm... I gotcha. Like I said I barely remember the thread. That would be a pretty neat solution. The only other thing I can think of standing in the way is over-saturation of a single subject, and that totally blows because I'd prefer more options myself and don't really care about over-saturation. They actually made/retooled the Enterprise(-A) in three different scales (1/2500, 1/1000, and 1/350) and they may feel having a fourth in another "in-between" scale a little bit much and are satisfied by the sales of the current scales they produce. Like I said before though, I would welcome another Enterprise model in the old 1/537 or comparable scale.

There are lots of reasons for R2 not to do the subject you're suggesting but remember, when people are telling you things that are practical reasons for not doing as you suggest, they are not being big meanies (usually). Most people are just pointing out the reality of the situation and as we all know, reality sucks if it directly contradicts something we either want or hold sacred. By the way, I was just reminded of your Reliant build. Please post more often. :)

RougeWolf: I was part of that thread you mentioned and it contributed to me being nervous here. However, after all that nastiness, I decided instead of sulking away into obscurity, to post more and contribute to the community in a better way than just debating a strange assessment of a movie over one line of dialogue. To be frank, I think there was more going on personally with that user to contribute to that heated discussion, which is to say they didn't know how to debate a topic without immediately going into "rage mode." I tried to be civil and slightly humorous, but civility and my type of humor (I've toned my behavior down since that thread) wasn't helping that person see what we were saying and a mod had to step in. Thankfully, that type of discussion is not the norm on AST, but it certainly made me hesitant to give my opinion in a thread where other opinions are seemingly being solicited. Also, on a silly note, I've been meaning to respond to that signature in your posts; Valar Dohaeris. :lol:

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:32 am

Just a few comments from me. :)

I started this thread knowing that it might "shake the tree". If it gets personal and/or ugly, ultimately that's my fault for starting a potentially combustible topic (not the fault of those who chose to reply). Yet, I have faith the community will offer constructive, honest dialogue.

Finding the right words to express yourself, without someone, somewhere taking offense? "It is a pickle. No doubt about it". Too many factors to successfully tailor the perfect portion of food for thought. Personally, I like the "good news, bad news, good news sandwich" approach. Even then, it might be difficult. Should that stop you from trying though? Never! ;)

If folks think it's tough trying to find the perfect reply as a member of a community, try doing it as a site owner. Especially, if aspects of your personality (opinionated, wise-ass, with a warped sense of humor) don't gel with your well-intentioned site philosophy. I had to tone that right down and instead focus on helping the community in whatever way I could. I have a big heart, so whereas it was a "shift" for me, it well worth it.

I'm unfamiliar with this 1/537 debate that has popped up a few times in the thread. To the best of my knowledge none of the AST team have spoken on behalf of R2. AST previews R2 products, but have no say in the development of their projects. It's a shame folks may have chosen not to continue posting over something AST has no control over.

cannon fodder
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby cannon fodder » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:49 pm

It hasnt been just that one incident. It is the virtual cold shoulder i seem to have gotten and continue to get. Just look at my topic in classified. Lots of views yet only 1 person chose to respond. Kinda crazy, i guess i offended someone.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:22 pm

The Art of Diplomacy is the fine art of telling someone to go to Hell, and have them look forward to the trip.

Perhaps we are too nice. I look at it this way: If I want to go and post on a hobby board just for the opportunity to undergo a Cenobite-like ripping critique of my 'skills', I'll not post on AST.

Well I don't post on any other boards. It's easy (way too easy) to witness other folks beating folks down in a vain effort to elevate themselves. I got enough of that growing up. I neither desire to experience myself, or to have others experience it from me.

It's easy to be an arse. It takes restraint and discipline to act like a gentleman. I endeavor to do that. I don't always succeed.
And yeah- I've managed to anger a couple of folks here on AST. I've tried to make amends but...I've found the best way to make amends is to not anger someone in the first place.

On a related note- I am discovering that I have like the sacred scale, and ...I have been inspired by someone else's Enterprise legacy here on AST and am now working (intermittently) on mine own version of every Enterprise in 1/2500. But I'm doing that on an overly large stand.
And this is after my grousing on about how the sacred scale is hard on mine eyes.

And when you get down to brass tacks- you attract more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. Oh sure we could act all Klingon like when it comes to critiquing, but who are we gonna end up with? Another Clique.

There are enough Cliques in the world, lets continue to act like Gentleman.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

cannon fodder
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby cannon fodder » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:39 pm

Moon, i for one have always been in awe of how you handle yourself of these boards. Perhaps its just me. I do suffer from depression which sometimes gets the better of me.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:07 pm

cannon fodder wrote:It hasnt been just that one incident. It is the virtual cold shoulder i seem to have gotten and continue to get. Just look at my topic in classified. Lots of views yet only 1 person chose to respond. Kinda crazy, i guess i offended someone.

I simply didn't respond because I don't have one available for you. I viewed to find out what you were wanting.

As far as the 1/537 thing, I totally understand how that size would work better for the shelf than 1/350, and provide better detail and challenge than 1/1000. I've got a couple of 1/537 kits that I want to build sometime in the future. The only problem is that knowing what I've been told by the R2 representative, they can't make everything. They have to turn a profit, and I don't see this as being a subject that would pay for itself, let alone turn a profit. I do agree with you on the point though.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

cannon fodder
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby cannon fodder » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:06 am

Yeah like i said i think its been more the funk ive been in. Been fighting depression. WAIT a minute guys.....way to draw me out lol. I really think it was just me.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:58 pm

cannon fodder wrote:Yeah like i said i think its been more the funk ive been in. Been fighting depression. WAIT a minute guys.....way to draw me out lol. I really think it was just me.

I've suffered from clinical depression when I was younger, but have been able to handle it without meds in my adulthood. I do hope you're doing okay and have a good support base to help you find ways to help that work for you. Stay strong :)

Return to “Important”