A message to our friendly lurkers/viewers

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

A message to our friendly lurkers/viewers

Postby Xen » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:23 am

It occurred to me that one of the core reasons why so many of those that prefer to lurk/view AST (instead of actively getting involved) is due to a set of "unwritten rules", applying even more pressure, or "performance anxiety". I'm sure many may think that posting on any type of "public" board is easy.

Simply put, 20 years of Internet evolution has resulted in some seriously nasty behavior. Trolling, cliques and the like have all played their part in letting the ugliness run riot, suppressing the "good", to the point where even those that care may think twice.

That's why I started All Scale Trek. My way of seeing if we could self-police, share experiences, opinions etc, without all the drama. Three years on, I think we've done pretty well. That's all down to the community. Anyway, I went off on a mini tangent there...

I know the regulars here go to great lengths to both welcome and encourage newcomers (or those new to posting here) to "share", be it posting pics of their collection or a WIP build. While there is absolutely nothing wrong with that approach, I can see how that could add immediate pressure (i.e. performance anxiety) if a newcomer "fails to deliver", either by not posting "X" or that "X" may not be good enough.

I can also see how a newbie/someone new to posting might be hesitant in sharing their views in a thread because they're afraid of getting bashed. Why? They may feel they don't have enough clout, or smarts, or been a member long enough to get involved and offer an opinion.

So, to make it clear to one and all (and try to keep both Tom Jones and Prince from singing in my head, you'll know why momentarily), here are some updated "house rules" to hopefully encourage our army of lurkers/viewers.

1) All Scale Trek is for fans of sci-fi. Fans of Star Trek. Fans of ALL types of Trek merchandise (kits, props, whatever). This is a forum. We talk, we share, we debate.

2) You do NOT have to show off pics "X" product or collection to take part.

3) You do NOT have to be a Trek "veteran" modeler to offer an opinion.

4) You do NOT have to be a Trek boffin to get involved in discussions.

5) You do NOT need to be "smart" (e.g. high IQ, a degree from "X" school) to get involved.

6) The ONLY thing you need to enjoy this site as a contributing member is a little courage to start talking and the belief that your opinion(s) matter, regardless of who may agree or disagree.

To conclude, Let's Talk Trek @ All Scale Trek! :vulcan:
(other sci-fi and subjects welcomed, provided they confirm to our simple rules).

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: A message to our friendly lurkers/viewers

Postby Tesral » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:22 pm

Here Here.

This is apropos I do believe. Your Board, Your Wave. Or, no ones view is Star Trek is wrong.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:07 am

Only one reply from a regular. The lurkers remain silent. Oh well.

Generally speaking, It makes me wonder, if trying to turn a group of determined lurkers into active contributors "en masse" is achievable.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:13 am

Xen wrote:Only one reply from a regular. The lurkers remain silent. Oh well.

Generally speaking, It makes me wonder, if trying to turn a group of determined lurkers into active contributors "en masse" is achievable.

If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:17 am

I didn't post anything, because I've noticed that I tend to reply to things with snark, regardless of where I stand on the issue, and this topic deserves better than that.

Then again, that last post happened, while I was typing. :lol:

I'm not currently posting much lately myself, because I drift through various hobbies, and I'm just not working on anything Trek related, at the moment. I hang around, because I love seeing what everyone around here makes, from the skilled scratch builders to the novice kit builders.

MEATLOAFr

Postby MEATLOAFr » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:22 am

Greyryder wrote:I didn't post anything, because I've noticed that I tend to reply to things with snark, regardless of where I stand on the issue, and this topic deserves better than that.

But then again a snark is a reply

Then again, that last post happened, while I was typing. :lol:

I sniped a chirp in :lol:

I'm not currently posting much lately myself, because I drift through various hobbies, and I'm just not working on anything Trek related, at the moment. I hang around, because I love seeing what everyone around here makes, from the skilled scratch builders to the novice kit builders.

I've been lurking around too, I try to inject a little humor when I can (hopefully not getting any feathers ruffled)
I hope to be getting a few models worked on here myself soon - have a few assembled and hope to try to do some painting
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:12 am

That's just it though (and one of the points raised in my original "message"). You don't need to be working on a Trek project (or, for that matter, -any- project) to stop by and say "hi". To share a few thoughts.

It's that type of harmless banter that encourages folks to get involved. Besides, those that have posted so far are not exactly "lurkers". ;)

I just want to try my best (even if I'm far from feeling my best in RL) to make AST different. For all the right reasons. It's what I signed on for when I founded the site 3 years ago. I still feel a certain "responsibility" to provide true value for all that visit.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:38 am

You could always try guilt tripping the lurkers into coming out. :)

Ah well, some people just cannot be induced to join in on the fun. I know. I'm often like that. For what it's worth, I think you are doing a good job, Xen. The friendly atmosphere here at All Scale Trek convinced this introverted recluse to quit lurking and join in on the fun. I haven't been this sociable in years!
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:16 pm

Xen wrote:Only one reply from a regular. The lurkers remain silent. Oh well.

If you draw out one you succeeded. Why? It is generally useless. IMHO if someone is going to participate they jump right in.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:46 pm

I lurked for a while before I joined up. Hell, I lurked more than participated until I decided to post a build up album relatively recently. I have recommended this forum on Reddit before, so hopefully some people from there are reading this. People will come. People will participate. It may be a little slow to get those results, but it will happen.

Return to “Important”