What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

The place for new forum requests, suggestions, bug reports and other issues relating to AST.

What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Nothing. I just like to read threads and check out pics when I find something interesting. I'm not much for talking, but it's a great site!
20%
AST is okay. It feels quite intimidating, so I prefer just to look around. I'm honestly not sure what you can do.
1%
It's just too specialized. I think this is as good as you're going to get!
No votes
I consider myself a newbie and don't want to embarrass myself or feel pressured. A private newbie section might help.
6%
If you had a voice chat option (like Teamspeak), that would help!
1%
I'm a regular and post when I see something I like. It's just the nature of the beast. AST is cool!
28%
Talking to folks in real time (like some kind of group messenger) would help!
4%
I post a lot and think this is a great place. There are lurkers everywhere. There's nothing you can do about it.
6%
AST needs a makeover and then you'll get more participation.
1%
Remove member restrictions! If you get spam, deal with it then. That should help!
1%
More contests and prizes. That will get folks talking!
5%
You need to have a proper website and not just a forum, with a magazine style format (blog, gallery etc).
3%
I'm not sure, but I think the answer is 42! :P
17%
Other (please specify if possible).
7%

Total votes: 138

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Postby Tesral » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:09 pm

I would need more hours in the day. I only post when I have something to say.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Burke
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Burke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:09 am

Tugg wrote:Hey Burke - I hear what your are saying... I have re-read this message like 7 times.. damn.. now 8 ... trying to make it sound just right.. and I am sure there is something still messed up ;)
...................................... I suffer from Post Anxiety :shock:
This does keep me from participating as often as I would like.. you are all friendly folks, and kindred spirits...
I will try to get over it and just post ! :mrgreen:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one :mrgreen:

I do thoroughly enjoy the site, and love seeing every bodies builds. I will definately try to post more, without spamming of course.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:19 am

I don't consider posting a lot to be "spamming". We all know the content spam bots, trolls and paid spammers post. As long as you avoid that, feel free to light up the forum. :)

I also want to quash the notion that a post must include something of "incredible value" in order to be appreciated by other members. Be it words, pics or both. That's not how things work. At least not at AST. This is a community forum for fans of Star Trek. You can talk about whatever takes your fancy within the ST universe. For the rest, you have the Off-Topic section. Be goofy or serious. Type 1 line or 5 paragraphs. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you enjoy your time here and don't feel like you're being judged or harassed.

I'm currently considering a private section for newbies. I'm keen to help provide a solution for folks with anxiety issues as well, as that has been mentioned a few times now. Cyber bullying in schools and the workplace has been well documented on tv. Come to think of it, so have social phobias.

If you know your posts are only be viewed by a small group of fellow newbies and not Joe Public, maybe that would work. It could provide a useful stepping stone to get past the nerves and help ease folks into posting in the regular areas.

I do however foresee a couple of possible problems. 1) It might be nice for newbies to chat amongst themselves, but if it's newbie only access, no one else could help with their hobby related issues. 2) It might alienate the rest of the community. I feel the regulars that post, do a very good job of stoking the fire, but also extend a warm welcome to newbies and help them whenever possible.

A trial run might be worth pursuing though. Thoughts, as always, are welcomed.

Burke
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Burke » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:10 pm

Personally I'm okay with the open to public forum. It's issues I have myself that I need to get over. I'm so used to lurking as other forums (we all know some) can be open to attack from stickler members. I don't see much of that here so out of all the forums I post here the most. It is an interesting subject and how to approach it will take out of the box thinking.

I'm also looking forward to the next contest as id like to enter one. ;)

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:34 am

Oh, I agree. A forum should be public, with content accessible, regardless of whether you're a member or not. I was just thinking of a private section for those that are new to posting. Let's face it, you have to have a pretty thick skin at the best of times these days. The Internet is no exception.

I've tried really hard to send a clear message that AST is different to other sites and break down those barriers. Out of the box thinking is something I relish. I'm no wizard though, hence the plea for input.

As for future contests? It was my intention to do two a year, but being short staffed and a lack of mojo/burn out have caused it to be put on ice for the time being.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

This is the only forum where I post my builds, for the exact same reason others have stated: This is a warm community where friendly suggestions are freely offered. That makes me a better modeler and I don't mind sharing the few modeling tricks I have in my head.

I would ask people who are newbies or those who haven't completed a model in ages not to be discouraged from participating. I think I've only completely finished about 6 models in the past year. I have about 5 threads on current builds and I have many more that I haven't shared (yet). As I complete a phase I update the thread. So join the discussion. We don't bite. At least, not the ones who haven't turned into salt vampires or spinning energy beings who feed on negative emotion.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

slawton
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby slawton » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:22 pm

I am a transfer from the now non-maintained Mighty Ten-Twelve forum (which catered best to my preferred niche of 1/2500 scale in any genre). I'd noticed many other members also joined this group. Overall, it seems to be a supportive community with a shared specialized interest. The major contributors are usually very knowledgable, helpful and entertaining. Because of this, I feel most questions/feedback are fielded best by these "seasoned" members, where my inputs would pale in comparison.

As far as new threads/material, I have not posted because I have not been very active in this hobby (I'd love to have the time to do more). I find it fascinating (Spock raised eyebrow) all the new & creative projects others have created, so I lurk with envy. I don't appear to be the only one with projects in various states of completion (but alas never seem to get finished).

My suggestion for more posts from people like me is motivation. Seeing other in progress/completed projects plants the seed. Contests/suggestions also help (although I often feel I can't commit to a specific deadline). I am trying to make deals with myself (can't buy a new kit unless you finish one, etc.). But in the end, I need to make the time.
I'm a doctor, not a modeler ...

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am

Jose, that's very well put. I thank you for taking the time to share your work, and indeed your 2c with us.

We have some very outspoken members here. I can see how that "energy" can be somewhat overwhelming to other folks, but should not be mistaken for anything negative. From what I've seen, those that are more chatty, play their part in making sure AST maintains a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. That's crucial.

Slawton, I especially appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts in such detail, since you probably fall in the "would prefer to just look around" category.. Which, as I stated before, is perfectly fine. Please remember though that participation doesn't mean you have to post projects and pics, or lengthy replies.

AST caters to all fans of Trek, from all walks of life, with varied "skills" and interests. It's a "discussion forum", so anything to do with Trek is fine (and off-topic for non-Trek) You have as much right to have your say as anyone else. We're not here to rate, judge or otherwise give folks a hard time.

Take me for example. I feel I have just enough time to say a few things here and there, but that's it. I try my best to participate, but it's usually a few goofy comments or a thumbs up. If I can get away with that, so can you. ;)

So, for those still not sure, feel free to follow my lead. :) The poll will remain open. If you're still interested in helping AST, cast your vote(s)!

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:18 am

slawton wrote:I am a transfer from the now non-maintained Mighty Ten-Twelve forum (which catered best to my preferred niche of 1/2500 scale in any genre).

Welcome in from the cold oh Brother of the Sacred Scale.
Last edited by Tesral on Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:13 pm

Scared Scale? Is that 1:537?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Support & Feedback”