What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

The place for new forum requests, suggestions, bug reports and other issues relating to AST.

What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Nothing. I just like to read threads and check out pics when I find something interesting. I'm not much for talking, but it's a great site!
20%
AST is okay. It feels quite intimidating, so I prefer just to look around. I'm honestly not sure what you can do.
1%
It's just too specialized. I think this is as good as you're going to get!
No votes
I consider myself a newbie and don't want to embarrass myself or feel pressured. A private newbie section might help.
6%
If you had a voice chat option (like Teamspeak), that would help!
1%
I'm a regular and post when I see something I like. It's just the nature of the beast. AST is cool!
28%
Talking to folks in real time (like some kind of group messenger) would help!
4%
I post a lot and think this is a great place. There are lurkers everywhere. There's nothing you can do about it.
6%
AST needs a makeover and then you'll get more participation.
1%
Remove member restrictions! If you get spam, deal with it then. That should help!
1%
More contests and prizes. That will get folks talking!
5%
You need to have a proper website and not just a forum, with a magazine style format (blog, gallery etc).
3%
I'm not sure, but I think the answer is 42! :P
17%
Other (please specify if possible).
7%

Total votes: 138

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: What would make you participate (more?) at AST?

Postby Del » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm assuming that the question is "What's the current age of Xen?"

As far as spam, keep the restrictions in place. At the Star Wars forum Keeper of the Force, they get spammed about once a month and then I just don't go back to read much until I see that it's cleaned up. It kind of blocks the flow of the threads, and was bad a few days ago when a spammer hit about 8 - 10 threads. It says he was from Finland, but who knows. I guess they don't realize that by !!!!!!!! off folks at the forums, no one is going to buy their products.

For folks feeling intimidated, not to worry. This is one the most relaxed and helpful forums I can think of. Even when your build really sucks, we don't tell you that, at least not in public. We offer ways for do something differently or at least praise you for what we like. I can usually find something in every build that I like. I can't say that I ever heard anyone state in a thread that they thought a build was horrible. Not exactly the way to help newbies build their confidence to continue participating. Folks have told me what I could do better and that's the way I improve. I love this site! :mrgreen:

Cozmo - when you create a new topic, scroll to the bottom and you'll see a tab for Poll Creation. I didn't know it was there either until I just looked.

Bellerophon - I don't have a problem with some ads either, as long as they aren't in-line in the middle of the threads. I used to lurk at the RPF and was just starting to feel comfortable enough to start posting more, when they changed their format. Now they are over-the-top flashy and the in-the-middle-of-the-thread advertising is annoying. I just stay away now. However, the side bars here I believe are just overflow so when folks are using a lower resolution like 1024x768 (yeah, I know what you're thinking), they won't see the gray area. That's the way I designed my website, and it looks like what a lot of other folks do as well, including AST. So maybe a well-placed banner add either at the top or bottom of the page would work out.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Bellerophon » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:11 pm

Right Del: no ads that can trigger epileptic seizures! Like on KitMaker Network. I'm trying to read in the middle panel and the animations in the sidebars are making my eyeballs twitch like Herbert Lom's in the Pink Panther movies.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)

twofalls
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby twofalls » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:13 pm

I haven't been able to model for quite some time now but hope to be able to resume my hobby in the near future. In the meantime I like to keep up on what others are doing for inspiration. This is a great site for that and my sincerest thanks to all here for keeping my hopes alive!

ironman150
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Postby ironman150 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:48 pm

Gahh! I meant to click more things! I like the site as is. It's kind of like my local game store. He sells lots of product but finds it hard for people to actually come in and play. lots of people soak up the good ideas but don't conribute new ones or show the fruits of their labor.

A youtube is always good for more looks but I don't know if it would translate to more posts.

I don't like to start new topics so I post to other topics and follow that thread till it dies. I suppose I should be more pro active and start new threads. Keep up the good work!!

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:24 pm

I love the site, I just think we should branch out a little more into the other sci-fi topics:

Star Wars
BSG
Anime/mecha
Everything else

A Gallery would be nice too...
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Savion
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Savion » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:43 pm

It's not AST; it's me.

I love Trek modeling; my favourite genre to work in and if you saw just what I've got in piles of containers and totes, you'd understand.

However, I drift through my builds too much. Way too many started, not enough FINISHED.

I do enjoy looking through threads to see what others are doing; what others have done.

My few completed builds have been posted to other sites, where they'd been observed and dropped out of sight.

What I've done doesn't really matter; what interests me is the here and now. And there's a LOT of "now"...!

Keep up the good work. I have no opinion on whether things can be improved; perhaps. After all, almost anything can be improved, after all...!

Lonewolf
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Lonewolf » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:05 am

RogueWolf wrote:I love the site, I just think we should branch out a little more into the other sci-fi topics:

Star Wars
BSG
Anime/mecha
Everything else

That kind of makes "All Scale Trek" meaningless, then. Besides, there's already an "all-around" science fiction website. It's called Starship Modeler.

One of the things that makes AST unique is that it focuses ONLY on Star Trek.

I agree about the advertising, but I know what it's like to be a one-person operation. Funding is limited, and advertising with many of the "high traffic" websites gets really expensive really fast.

A Google+ account, or a Facebook presence, might be a good idea.
Check out the Sci-Fi Model Kit Directory - A searchable resource with kit reviews and information on how to find the kit you're looking for! Visit http://www.sfmkd.com today!

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I don't want to disrupt the momentum by answering individual posts. Just know that I'm very grateful for your input and am soaking up all the information. :ugeek: If you want to skip to the really important part/point, scroll down to the last sentence. Then PM me, so I can move you to the ADHD group. :P

I have enabled re-voting, so you can change your vote(s) if you want to. Please vote sensibly though as this is important.

I'd like to provide a few tidbits of AST trivia, to help keep things on track. This may also aid your voting if you have yet to do so.

1) Every single member of our 300+ "strong" community has been screened by the admins, with the few spammers that got by our registration spam countermeasures, deleted before they could be seen by the public. That's why I am fairly confident we are both free of spam and spam bot / human spammer "members". Something I'm quite proud of because I hate spam, the individuals that create bots and the people that are paid to sign up to forums, circumvent countermeasures and wreck havoc.

2) Each month (with the exception of February, 2013) the site stats have grown steadily. Quick stats below.
January: Unique Visitors: 3K*. Hits: 300K*.
December: Unique Visitors: 6K*. Hits: 500K*.

Small potatoes compared to other community based sites, but another stat that makes me proud. Considering AST started from nothing and was mocked by my peers (for the most part) during the development and early days. I'm proud you folks had faith in AST, supported me, and I got to see a little dream blossom.

* Figures are an approximation. They only include human traffic and not robots or replies with special HTTP status codes.

3) Of the 300+ members, only a mere 2-4% frequently participate. This includes people that start threads and those that reply. If AST had closer to 10%, I estimate we'd get enough material to grow beyond what we have. That's 30+ dedicated individuals, providing for this site.

4) We have a lot of folks checking out the eye candy because I believe in an open and inviting forum that makes you want to register. Not one that is "private" and forces you to do so, just to see if it's worth your time. None of the big sites do that and those that do (IMO) are shooting themselves in the foot.

To conclude, it is my firm belief that the quality of content and camaraderie would get folks talking. I feel we have already achieved the first part and am mystified as to why the number of participants haven't grown.

maxtype

Postby maxtype » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Truthfully, I haven't posted much simply because 2013 has been a tremendously awful year. I didn't get to do much of anything I've wanted to do.

I've vowed that 2014 *will* be better. As part of that, I've got 3 Trek projects currently just waiting for weather that will allow me to spray paint primer on them. Maybe I can do a couple of WIP photos of them soon.

Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Postby Del » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:13 pm

I'm happy to see a few folks make comments who we don't normally see around here. One thing to remember is that you don't have to BUILD a kit to participate in, or start a discussion. How many model kits have we seen our fearful leader, Xen, complete - or even start? I don't think we've seen any, and that's okay because it's not about how much you build or how well. Instead, as Xen stated, it's about the camaraderie that we can develop here, and that's what a forum is for anyway. Model building is just a conduit to discussion.

So again, you don't have to build, or even own any models or props to participate. Feel free to jump into a discussion and share your thoughts. ;)

P.S. - For anyone who's concerned that I just threw Xen under the bus, not to worry, he'll get me back later - eventually. :jester:
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Producing kits previously sold thru Ravenstar, Novahobbies, Fantastic Plastic, NorthTrek Creations, and more!

Return to “Support & Feedback”