Discovery Enterprise **SPOILER** image heavy

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
SKO
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Discovery Enterprise **SPOILER** image heavy

Post by SKO »

I like that a lot for a rebooted Connie. I'd have loved it if Abrams went with that for those movies.

If we're trying to pretend that's the same ship, well, let's not and say we did.
arcticfox
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by arcticfox »

And I think she's BEAUTIFUL.

They got it RIGHT this time. It retains every single design element from the original Matte Jeffries design from 1965 but successfully updated to look cool next to the other ships from Discovery.

THIS is what the Abramsverse Enterprise should have looked like.

Let's be honest. The original ship looked awesome... in 1968. Now, it looks dated. Yes, we still love the ship and yes, we'll still build models, but the Enterprise needed an update or it would have looked positively stupid next to Discovery, because visually they'd be so different from one another it would be hard to imagine them both coming from the same shipyards.

I don't have a problem with the window/viewscreen. I think it's a clever idea. It's one of the few things I liked about the Abramsverse ship. It's not as if there was no precedent. Enterprise-D and the Jeffries Enterprise had skylights, and IIRC the original model had an external window behind the viewscreen at first.

The markings that we can see all match, and the only other major differences are:
  • The split impulse drive. Looks cool to me.
    The swept back warp pylons. Looking WAY better than the original, which always seemed close to snapping off in my mind.
    The lighted warp nacelles. Well, the TMP version had inboard lights on the warp engines when the ship was at warp, and it does visually bring them closer to the look of the NX-01, so I'm fine with it.
I can't WAIT for a model of this thing... but if they don't release one, I bet a conversion from a Jeffries Enterprise wouldn't be too difficult.
NoKhando
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Post by NoKhando »

Difficult to compare the size alongside the Disco in those pictures . I hope they haven't been tempted to "grow" the Enterprise to the same proportions as the rest of nu-Starfleet . She's supposed to be a heavy Cruiser , not a scout ...

There will be much wailing, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments if that's the case . :o
Last edited by NoKhando on Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Ya- it's certainly going to be one of those things that people will love or hate for a billion reasons.

One point about that people make about the fragile looking pylons always bugged me. It's the future. The strength of materials is nothing compared to: warp speed, the manipulation of extreme amounts of anti-matter, artificial gravity, teleportation, and a myriad of other future proposed techs. If anything spacey was as fragile in 250 years in real life from it is now, I would be astonished. Just a small example. We have tech now that no that is so quickly advancing, like nothing else in history. It's all about making things light, and in it's structure. https://news.mit.edu/2017/3-d-graphene-s ... rials-0106

And let's be realistic (in the realm of Star Trek) in some sense. The concept of a photorp or phaser hitting any part of a ship can be devastating. But the established tech of the time is what helps. Otherwise, one hit would always destroy a ship. Meh- we need the dramatic licence.

Regardless, it is a decent looking ship. There's no argument against that from me at all. I really quite like her and think she fits in nicely with Star Trek's historical look.

Just for funsies, I copied Doug Drexler's render of the TOS E, with added detail textures and dramatic lighting, and tried to scale it along side the new Enterprise. I honestly do think they look great side by side. Though ENOUGH with all the !!!!!!!! blue in Discovery. They're now making SPACE blue. Sheesh.

RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

arcticfox wrote:And I think she's BEAUTIFUL.
Let's be honest. The original ship looked awesome... in 1968. Now, it looks dated.
Here here!

Just think of TOS as stories that were handed down verbally, so the TOS ship you see is someone's description of it, and in the retelling the details get lost.

When you see the D-E you are like 'whoa, dude!'

The point is, change is gonna happen no mater if you like it or not. I hate the JJprise - everything about it. EVERYTHING. But the D-E, they got that right. Damn that's a good looking ship!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

RogueWolf wrote: The point is, change is gonna happen no mater if you like it or not. I hate the JJprise - everything about it. EVERYTHING. But the D-E, they got that right. Damn that's a good looking ship!
I agree.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I get tired of the Enterprise is the smallest ship in the fleet.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Dr_Corsa
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Dr_Corsa »

Hi!

Well I was thinking about this 1701 dilemma too. And for me is this Enterprise under Pike a kind of pre-facelifting of the ship. My explanation for the nacelle pylins, blue warp engines and different impulse engine is that the starfleet refitted the ship for the upcoming 5 years mission under Kirk. Even some years after Discovery. A bit later they did it again (Star Trek TMP movie).

So why not? But now I (or we all) need new special engines for an upcoming Starcraft 1400 scale 1701...well...

Michael
Genuine decals addicted
1/1400 scale modeller
TrekMD
Head of Starfleet Medical
Head of Starfleet Medical

Post by TrekMD »

I like how the ship turned out. Could they have kept it closer to the original with more texturing? Sure, but that was clearly not what the producers want it. I think it is a better iteration of the ship than what we got in the Kelvin timeline.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

TrekMD wrote:I like how the ship turned out. Could they have kept it closer to the original with more texturing? Sure, but that was clearly not what the producers want it. I think it is a better iteration of the ship than what we got in the Kelvin timeline.
I couldn't agree more
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!

Return to “General Trek”