USS DISCOVERY vs TOS E THOUGHTS

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Re: USS DISCOVERY vs TOS E THOUGHTS

Postby trekriffic » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:34 pm

patrickivan wrote:
trekriffic wrote:Honestly, The Orville feels more like Star Trek to me. Sorta like Next Generation trek.

Agreed.

It was surprising how serious the show is. I expected a complete comedy. The tones and very understandable social commentaries, are quite enjoyable and relatable.

The ship is also surprisingly more well thought out than I expected. Though obviously HEAVILY and I'm sure not secretly, influenced by TNG styles. The whole thing almost fits in the TNG timeline as the next door neighbours that you kinda don't want, but they're there, so you're kinda stuck being buddies with them. Like the Klingon Empire, but funnier. LOL

And I like the characters right off.

Yes. The first episode had a lot more of the silly jokes which, I was okay with, but it turned my wife off.
The later episodes seem to have less of the sophomoric humor and better plots.
They actually are topical, seeking to teach us a moral lesson, much like Star Trek tried to do and still does sometimes. The "Sulu" and "Chekov" characters actually seem to get the funniest lines.
As far as characters, they grow on you if you give them a chance. Doesn't hurt that the first officer/ex-wife is a knockout either. Again, just like most, if not all, of the women on the original trek.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:44 pm

*sigh*

Someone in production ACTAULLY thought "let's make the saucer spin! like an old time flying sauce alien movie!!! Fans will love it, and regular viewers will think it's a really cool visual!"

Holy- !!!!!!!!. I thought the whole spore drive thing was stupid, but thought: meh... And all the characters seem to be so snippy and sarcastic towards one another. It's so stupid.

But for some reason, that spinning saucer has to be the dumbest idea, right next to the flipity flopity ship during spore drive initiation. Sheesh.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm

patrickivan wrote:*sigh*

Someone in production ACTAULLY thought "let's make the saucer spin! like an old time flying sauce alien movie!!! Fans will love it, and regular viewers will think it's a really cool visual!"

Holy- !!!!!!!!. I thought the whole spore drive thing was stupid, but thought: meh... And all the characters seem to be so snippy and sarcastic towards one another. It's so stupid.

But for some reason, that spinning saucer has to be the dumbest idea, right next to the flipity flopity ship during spore drive initiation. Sheesh.

Don't be shy ... tell us how you really feel! ;) :mrgreen:
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:44 pm

Saucer spinning makes my head spin!

Oh my lord... :roll:

And spore drive!??? :doh:

I am soooo glad I did not sign up for CBS All Access just to watch that crap.

MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby MadManMUC » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:29 pm

If the cast/production team has to tell an audience, 'Give us a chance' at a convention, fans aren't really buying what CBS is selling, despite the viewing figures.

http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/ ... 752979001/

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:12 am

I've not been watching the show. Spore drive?

Is this some spore-man's attempt at propulsion, or is it just a sporely thought out idea?

And, who are you guys to tell the ship it's wrong, if it identifies as an attack helicopter?

:mrgreen:

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Honestly, I haven't seen anything other than the first episode.
I'm curious, is it the whole saucer that rotates or just the outer ring?
Is there an explanation given for why it spins?
Some kind of tactical advantage?
Or does the Captain just think it looks cool?

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:28 pm

Maybe its a gravity thing.
I have not seen any yet so I don't know either
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm

I heard it was stated in the last episode (per what I read) that it had something to do with some sort of counter spatial disruption caused by the spore drive.

Some nautical term related to how a propeller from a ship causes the water to boil (not from heat) re-purposed as a Treknical term.

So they put "some" thought into why they made this stupid visual part of the ship.

The entire outer ring spins one way, and the inner one spins the other. Pretty much the entire "Saucer" spins. Then the whole ship flippity flops in crazy fast movements, just prior to engaged the Drive.

It's stupid.

I'm convinced the person who conceived this shite, was playing with a fidget spinner at the time.

Seriously. It's stupid and completely pointless. The entire arc about the spore drive is needless and stupid. Of all things they could come up with.

I can forgive the Klingon ship changes. The uniforms. Most everything really. Even the shitty writing. But this is the one thing that is not helping.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

MadManMUC
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby MadManMUC » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 pm

patrickivan wrote:The entire arc about the spore drive is needless and stupid. Of all things they could come up with.

What bothers me the most isn't so much that they're trying to power their ship with mushrooms (which, I'll grant, is dumber than dumb). It's that the entire idea of the tardigrade/new propulsion system is directly ripped off from Voyager: helpless creature being tortured for Starfleet's benefit, and people are surprised it's not happy about it. Really. If this is the best this writing team can do, I'd be happier if they simply cancel the show now, and never bring a new Trek series to TV again.

And, to be honest, the execution of the idea is vastly superior on 'Equinox P1 & 2' than it was on this turd last week.

Return to “General Trek”