USS DISCOVERY vs TOS E THOUGHTS

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: USS DISCOVERY vs TOS E THOUGHTS

Postby patrickivan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:27 pm

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. With the exception of CGI. I found it quite decent. There were some aesthetic points I didn't dig. The pulse PHASERS (straight from JJTrek) as opposed to a longer energy stream were a little disappointing. The uniforms are just horrible. And the delta on EVERYTHING is just stupid. I really don't get it. On their bloody boot buckles too. Are the treads deltas?

Anyway. Other than that, I was pleased for the most part. Though again, like JJ Trek, I have to take it with a grain of salt. There's a lack of it feeling like Star Trek so far. But it's still compelling enough to want to watch.

I loved the ships, even if I would have liked to see more familiar (but updated) ones. The Klingons were fine. Just another incarnation of an alien. Whatever. I will miss the piratey/ russianesque, and at time, fun Klingons from the 80s and 90s though.

I am SO glad that the main character, Michael, isn't as horrible as the previews made her out to be. Up to the show, I kept thinking how boring and superhero stereotypical they're making her. Booooring. But I look forward to seeing what's going to go on with her.

I really think production is using this season to showcase their ideas, and springboard to one direction or another based on reception. And I mean towards something more TOS familiar (Not cheesy old 60's- updated TOS), or more JJ Trek TOS... And they ARE two different ideas. But I really think that's what the plan is.

Anyway. I really want to start seeing some betting images of ships, especially Discovery! Let's see these new Federation ships, STAT!
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:09 pm

My sense is that those who were predisposed to hating it do and those who went in with a blank slate thought it was pretty good. I had no expectations about it going in and I liked it. My take on Star Trek is that it's now in the realm of Shakespeare: Different people will interpret the play and put their spin on it. No one today does Shakespeare exactly like it was done in Middle England, with the same props and technology. So long as it retains that hopeful message and that sense of wonder and discovery I'm not going to quibble that Starfleet uniforms have collars instead of turtlenecks.

I've set it before and I'll say it again: CBS mad a big mistake making it an all-access thing. It should've been a prime time show. All of them are idiots for forgetting that Star Trek took off when it was in syndication: Free and readily available to everyone.

Couldas wouldas shouldas for me are that 1) just have Burnham's character have a connection with Vulcan. No need to have the connection to Sarek specifically and 2) they could've set this far into the future, post-Nemesis and it would've been fine. Right off the bat you get rid of people complaining that they're showing events no one has heard of before and that that ships don't "look" right
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:32 am

el gato wrote:I've set it before and I'll say it again: CBS mad a big mistake making it an all-access thing. It should've been a prime time show. All of them are idiots for forgetting that Star Trek took off when it was in syndication: Free and readily available to everyone.

TOS got cancelled, because it got put on at some oddball kiss of death time slot, when few people could actually see it. Putting Discovery on their paid streaming service is effectively repeating history.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:12 pm

That's a good point. I had not thought about it from that angle. But you're right, the parallel is similar. Didn't they also put ENT in some weirdo timeslot for Season 4, probably the undeniably its best season?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:16 am

el gato wrote:That's a good point. I had not thought about it from that angle. But you're right, the parallel is similar. Didn't they also put ENT in some weirdo timeslot for Season 4, probably the undeniably its best season?

And like Voyager - time slot moving, along with channel swapping (if you even got that in your area) to a "premium" channel

I'll most likely just end up doing what I did for the last 4 seasons of Voyager and ALL of Enterprise - Torrent them and MAYBE buy the DVD's when they hit a sale bin (or get a Chinese bootleg)
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:04 am

Mrs Gato me got me to go legit back in the early-2000s, so I don't torrent. I wouldn't even know where to go to find them anymore. This is a shame because they're a dumb, obscure song from 1990 that I would love to have on my iTunes library but no one has it. If I can't buy it legitimately and I don't have it in any other format, what choice do I have.

I miss you AudioGalaxy....

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:56 am

el gato wrote:
I miss you AudioGalaxy....

+1
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:04 pm

patrickivan wrote:The pulse PHASERS (straight from JJTrek) as opposed to a longer energy stream were a little disappointing.

Oh, oh.

Not to be that guy (you know, that ultra-pedantic fanboy. Which I'm not. I just pick up details), pulse phasers/phaser blasts pre-date both ST:D and JJTrek. They were seen being fired from both the Enterprise and the Reliant in TWOK (and they looked awesome, too):

I'll see myself out. :mrgreen:
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 am

@madmanmuc,
true, that and ST:DS9 with defiant's pulseblasters,
though even in TWoK,
the phaser had several settings, including 'continuous gouging' hehe

and the hand-held pulsephaseblaster pistols, the precedent is there for that in ST:Ent...

@all
how did you like the skittles-colored klingons?
"contract the rainbow, taste the rainbow" - even non-trek fans who watched locally were saying that :lol:
wait, I know - in ST:Ent, broken bow "Klinkgonks" that the admiral says..
these are those!
it wasn't a mispronunciation: they're a separate group altogether!
to be honest, the 'nu-style klingons" look more like Orions... that'd probably have been better received.

MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby MadManMUC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:36 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:how did you like the skittles-colored klingons?

Oh, god. Don't get me started.

It's not that I fundamentally object to refining the look of a particular race. Indeed, the facelift (so to speak) they got in TMP was fantastic. Sure, they were tweaked from there on in — between SFS, TNG and DS9 — but those were just refining the look, without an outright TOS to TMP-style overhaul.

What this lead to, naturally, was large-scale emotional investment from the fans in the way these Klingons looked for 2+ decades. The Discovery producers must, must, must have known this. So, why dick around with them again?! I seriously don't understand this. And it surely can't be because, 'The other Klingons looked too rubber-faced. Make-up technology has evolved!' Bollocks, 'cos you know what?

These new Klingons still look rubber-faced. And they look horrible.

There'd better be a really good explanation for this on the part of the producers.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

Return to “General Trek”