The Orville (SS Orville) Family Guy Meets Trek Spoof

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
marcnoonan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

The Orville (SS Orville) Family Guy Meets Trek Spoof

Postby marcnoonan » Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 am

Seth MacFarlane has always been a massive Trek fan, from having as many of the cast as possible in Family Guy/American Dad and even having a lot of the ships as models in the background on shelves etc. Looks like he's taken this love even further.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8aUuFsXRjU

Just hope it's more Family Guy/American Dad & Ted rather than Ted 2 and 1000 Ways To Die In The West. But looks more 1000 Ways. Either way I'll be watching it.

Marc
My Shapeways Shop
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/1/2500%2 ... e-products

Gallery
http://www.shapeways.com/designer/marcnoonan
If there's any model of anything you want that's not available anywhere.....send me a PM.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: The Orville (SS Orville) Family Guy Meets Trek Spoof

Postby el gato » Wed May 17, 2017 5:04 pm

From my perspective and in my opinion, there are two ways this show could go. Either it starts strong then peters out or it slowly gets better as it goes.

My hope is that it's done properly. To do so, it would first need to find its legs, but that takes time. Fox is notorious for being impatient with sci fi shows. McFarlane has had a good productive relationship with Fox, so here's hoping it gives him the time he needs.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Wed May 17, 2017 6:21 pm

el gato wrote:From my perspective and in my opinion, there are two ways this show could go. Either it starts strong then peters out or it slowly gets better as it goes.

My hope is that it's done properly. To do so, it would first need to find its legs, but that takes time. Fox is notorious for being impatient with sci fi shows. McFarlane has had a good productive relationship with Fox, so here's hoping it gives him the time he needs.

My issue is I don't really know how big the audience for this is. It really looks like it's a parody of TNG, and that show went off the air 23 years ago. There hasn't been a trek show since 2005...the 18-34 year olds this TV show is going to aim for mostly don't have that much fondness for trek or will recognize the tropes that it is making fun of. Guys like me who were watching Voyager when they were 10 are relatively rare.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed May 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Given that Family Guy started off as a parody of The Simpsons - which itself was a parody of All in the Family/The Flintstones/I Love Lucy/The Honeymooners and other great family comedies - but eventually stood on its own, there's a chance. The Orville doesn't have to be a parody of Star Trek during its entire run. It may start off that way but then just become a comedy set in space. If it's great comedy, people will follow regardless of the premise
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:04 am

Lol it really looks like to be great!

:lol:

I just doubt that it survives beyond the first or at most the second season. Unfortunately it's necessary to be super nerd to get amused with a sci-fi parody. Ordinary people are definitively not ready for this and that's why it's cursed to be an epic fail...

:geek:
Thanks,

Yan.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Not to be a wet blanket, I know I am "supposed" to like it because I am a geek and trek fan, and, I am sure I am in the minority on this opinion, but all I have to say about Orville is "Meh." :roll:

I have never been a Seth Macfarlane fan. I don't care for his brand of pre-pubescent fart jokes, toilet humor and crude sex references and innuendos. I am far from a prude, but I find Family Guy, American Dad, etc devoid of humor, and I don't see how anyone other than a 14 year old teenage boy could find those shows even remotely funny. Yes, I know none of the previews of Orville indicate it will be Ted in space, and this may in fact be a genuine attempt by McFarlane to create a TV version of Galaxy Quest of sorts, but how long do you think it will take before sagging ratings to cause McFarlane to resort to his brand of crass humor (If it doesn't already right off the bat)? I'd say less than a few episodes, mid season by the latest.

Here's what I think: with the back lash that Discovery is facing from long time fans, and the fact that the Abramsverse may have been technically a financial success, but has fallen far short of generating a "new following of dedicated fandom" it was supposed to, I think people's interest in Orville is more about sending a message to CBS and Les Moonves and JJ Abrams about their treatments of Star Trek on the small and big screen, than anything else. And considering how Moonves and CBS went after the Axanar guys really HARD with a cease and desist, I wouldn't put it past CBS to try to sue Fox, especially if Discovery is an utter ratings failure and they need a scape goat to hang that failure on.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:48 pm

nova1972x wrote:I don't see how anyone other than a 14 year old teenage boy could find those shows even remotely funny.

Now I took it personal.

:(
Thanks,

Yan.

Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Hossfly72 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:30 pm

I'm actually a huge fan of fart jokes.. but I am 49 going on 12

A space based comedy would be good. I'll give it a chance. It's gonna have to have some good stories mixed in with the fart jokes though.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:35 pm

NCC1966 wrote:
nova1972x wrote:I don't see how anyone other than a 14 year old teenage boy could find those shows even remotely funny.

Now I took it personal.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult anyone here. Just that I don't find those shows funny.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:55 pm

nova1972x wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:

Now I took it personal.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult anyone here. Just that I don't find those shows funny.

LoL, I was just kidding! Not took any personal insult indeed...

:lol:

Talking serious now (no pun intended) the fact is that is hard to put space sci-fi and humor together in the same box with quality. Let's see what happens.
:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “General Trek”