Why build Star Trek models instead of...?

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Why build Star Trek models instead of...?

Postby shiftdel » Sun May 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Because I am a trekker, the ships are cool, and the sacred scale is tiny enough for me to store a lot of ships. But I also like several other genres and have tons kits of of warships, planes, some vehicles and figures, mostly ancient.

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Thu May 18, 2017 8:22 am

I built a few Star Trek kits when I was a teen many years ago. Over a year ago, I came across a few models I had built back then, and originally only intended to just restore them. I had so much fun doing it, I started building more. My all time favorite sci fi ships are the various versions of the Enterprise.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu May 18, 2017 12:30 pm

Gents and Fellow Builders,

Thanks for your great responses and insights! I have really enjoyed reading them!

First off, I should apologize for the title. I should have realized that such excellent builders as yourselves would not be limited to one genre for building models. A Thousand Apologies, kind sirs.

I also realized that I haven’t responded to my own question. So, here goes.

I grew up in the era when Westerns were King of Primetime TV. Westerns such as Gunsmoke, Big Valley, Bonaza (Ponderosa), High Chaparral, and Daniel Boone (albeit re-runs). I would beg my parents for cap guns, cowboy boots and hats and run around in the front yard like a yeawho and kill enough imaginary bad guys to make even serial killer blush with envy!

THEN, I saw Star Trek! Suddenly it was phasers, communicators and performing drop kicks on Klingons in the front lawn! But the one character of the show seised my imagination and has never let go – the Starship Enterprise. When I saw that ship glide across my screen in all her glory, I knew I had to have this piece of rare unobtainuim no matter the cost. My older brother had a model of this ship even then but he refused to let me touch it, (He changed his mind 40 years later and I restored his ship. Pictures are here ) so I begged my parents for a model of my own. I think I ended up mowing not a few lawns to earn the money.

Even with my paltry skill then, glue everywhere and fingerprints covering the entire ship, I was proud to have my own copy of the ship.

Star Trek fueled my imagination to imagine possibilities beyond fist fights and horseback riding. Building the models then and even more so today, I

"…slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air....” and space!
(Borrowed from “High Flight” by John Gillespie Magee, Jr.)

That is why I build Star Trek – more often then I build any other genre. It has the ability to catapult me into realms of fantasy and space adventure like no-other!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks again for commenting!

Steve

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:50 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:But the one character of the show seised my imagination and has never let go – the Starship Enterprise. When I saw that ship glide across my screen in all her glory, I knew I had to have this piece of rare unobtainuim no matter the cost.

Well, I lived this same emotional experience but I try to suffocate it inside my child memories. Reason is because I grew up in a country that was controlled by a military regime in the 1970s where ALL and ANY kind of imports were totally forbidden (unless by reading stuff). By that time, when I was starting to learn English I forced my mom to make a subscription of a couple comic books to train my skills (it was Donald Duck and Warlord). I remember that my favorite pages of the magazines were the advertisement ones full of cool stuff and toys that I never could imagine to see around even in my wildest dreams. Try to imagine my frustration when I saw miniatures of the Enterprise for only a few bucks. By the time, even making the exchange I could afford to buy one with my allowance, but it was something untouchable for me because the reasons explained. So close and yet so far! Today I still can feel that pain when I remember this...

:cry:
Thanks,

Yan.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri May 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Yan, yeah, lots of sympathies for your childhood situation. At least your escapism was much more complete than mine!

It's great that you have overcome so much and achieved so much in your life! Well done, Sir!

It's also fabulous that you actively attempt to ensure the good is untainted by the bad in life. If only more of us could do that, the world would definitely be a better place!

Stay strong and steady on!

Steve

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Thank you, sir! Fortunately such little 'traumas' are part of the grow up process and it doesn't leave anything nasty behind but a distant and pale bitter taste that actually may have a positive impact in our adult life. It's just a matter of perspective... while some will spend the life complaining others will use their frustrations as an impulse to achieve victories.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri May 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Late to the party I guess but here's the deal with me... I first saw Star Trek soon after my ninth birthday and compared to the standard sci-fi of the time it was light years ahead of anything else. I was so young and impressionable and the Enterprise was just so powerful and majestic looking on our big (19") Zenith TV screen. I can still remember the feeling of joy that washed over me when I saw the original Enterprise model up on the shelf at the local drug store. I had to have it! Star Wars came along when I was in my senior year of high school so it didn't make nearly the same impact and by that time Star Trek was thoroughly engrained in my consciousness. The ships, the characters, the music, the morality themes, everything about the show I loved. I realized years later that not all the episodes were great (Spock's Brain anyone?) but the ships were always cool when viewed from any angle. The Enterprise just screamed speed and power and what could be more menacing looking than a Klingon D7 or Romulan Bird-of-Prey? Just great designs that have stood the test of time. I think another thing that made Star Trek my favorite all time sci-fi series, and Captain Kirk my favorite character, was the fact my father was a Coast Guard Commander. I remember him telling us stories about his ship and crew and their visits to the Caribbean and Hawaii and the times he had to battle storms off the coast of Alaska to rescue people in distress. So I think, in my kid's mind, I identified Captain Kirk's adventures with those of my father. Of course, I didn't just build Trek ships, back then we had the Irwin Allen produced series of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, and Land of the Giants so I built the Aurora Seaview and Spindrift models; the Jupiter 2 I had to wait until I was an adult before before Polar Lights came out with their kit. But Star Trek models will always hold a special place in my heart. So I guess that about sums it up for me and why I build Star Trek models. That and the fact that photon torpedoes were cool and made a neat sound.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat May 20, 2017 3:40 am

trekriffic wrote:I was so young and impressionable and the Enterprise was just so powerful and majestic looking on our big (19") Zenith TV screen.

You encapsulated it so well. The TOS E still is captivating.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sat May 20, 2017 5:33 am

el gato wrote:You encapsulated it so well. The TOS E still is captivating.

The first SF ship that was not a missile or a saucer. It caught my imagination as well. That first model was a absolute mess, between the lousy pylon keying method and my less than salutatory building skills. But I loved it.

And yes, I am a modeler in general. It does not have to be Trek, even if that is a favorite subject. Cars, armor, ships, planes, and more. I love building models. If I still had a fraction of the models I have built over the years I would be buried in them.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat May 20, 2017 5:39 am

Tesral wrote:
el gato wrote:You encapsulated it so well. The TOS E still is captivating.

The first SF ship that was not a missile or a saucer. It caught my imagination as well.

I don't know if this is a true story or a myth, but I had heard that Roddenberry's instructions to Jefferies was that he didn't want rockets or saucers for the Yorktown (later to be called the Enterprise). What does Jefferies do? He combined both :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “General Trek”