Doesn't Jean-Luc Picard French origin bugs you?

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Doesn't Jean-Luc Picard French origin bugs you?

Postby nova1972x » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 am

el gato wrote:
nova1972x wrote:That said, I admit that Patrick Stewart's accent did bother me a little bit at first. Also, there was one episode (can't remember which) where Picard boasts of a Picard ancestor fighting at the Battle of Trafalgar. Yes the French were there, but usually that is a battle that the English have nostalgia and pride for, because of Admiral Nelson. For a French person, that is like being proud getting your ass kicked at Waterloo! It literally IS the same thing.

That bothered me too. There are only a select few who take pride that they fought on the losing side of a war/battle, especially when that battle/war had nothing to do with making humanity better. You have to be pretty low on the "accomplishments" list to list that one, and last I checked the French were not scraping the bottom of the barrel on the "accomplishments" list.

The other one that bothered me was that one of Picard's supposed ancestor was a Spanish conquistador who helped conquer the American southwest. Prior to that there was no mention that Picard was anything but French.
Assuming it isn't a case of being historically inaccurate, and Picard wasn't having a Commander MCBragg moment, there were cases of explorers and privateers sailing and exploring for countries other than their land of birth. The Spanish (or French, English, Dutch, Portuguese, etc) did allow people of other nationalities on expeditions, grant letters of marque, etc. After all, Columbus was Italian and explored for Spain, John Cabot (AKA. Zahn Chabotto) was Venitian and explored for the English, and Henry Hudson was English, but explored for the Dutch. Maybe Pappy Picard was a fictional example?

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:15 am

Somewhere along the line, a Picard man must have married an English woman.

Or, Jean-Luc was adopted.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:24 pm

Greyryder wrote:Somewhere along the line, a Picard man must have married an English woman.

Or, Jean-Luc was adopted.

"Some days I'm not even sure I'm your son." Po the Panda to his Father the Goose.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “General Trek”