What Ship is this?

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

What Ship is this?

Postby Kremin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 am

Just checking something on Star Trek IV and I was wondering what ship is this Nacelle attached to?

Can't be a Constitution or you would see the Primary hull and it's parked very close to this ship shown just after

Both look to be look to be Starboard Nacelles

TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: What Ship is this?

Postby TonyG2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:52 am

Well it looks like a Refit Connie style nacelle, or Miranda or any of the related designs. But from the angle of the support pylon in the second photo, it appears that the support pylon is at a shallower angle than the standard Connie. Of course it could be an optical illusion.

Given this is from Voyage Home, I can't recall many official ship designs being "out there" at the time. In fact the only official designs I can think of would be:

TOS Constitution
Refit Constitution
Miranda Class (Reliant, Saratoga et al)
Excelsior
Oberth

I am of course not including any of the art work designs even those in Franz Josef tech book as they never appear on screen, at least up to the time of STIV so far as I am aware.

We can exclude the Excelsior and Oberth as having a different nacelle. And the Miranda given the location of the support pylon. So the question is (and I don't know the answer) did the studio make any more ships to fill out the starbase interior for Voyage Home or, as a process of elimination, does it have to be a Connie and it is the viewing angle that is causing the confusion.

My recollection is that they used models and not CGI for the ship effects so it would have been a more costly exercise to produce a further Federation ship design especially if it didn't get any realistic screen time. So my guess is still that its a refit Connie but it is just a guess.

jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby jkb-1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:50 pm

They had had molds for making nacelles, like the one they blew up on the Reliant, so it's possible that if they found the large Enterprise model too cumbersome to set up for these shots, they might have used a free-floating nacelle. I can even see them cobbling together a support strut for that second shot.

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Kremin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:20 pm

TonyG2 wrote:Well it looks like a Refit Connie style nacelle, or Miranda or any of the related designs. But from the angle of the support pylon in the second photo, it appears that the support pylon is at a shallower angle than the standard Connie. Of course it could be an optical illusion.

If I go off canon the pylon in the second shot looks slightly too chunky to my eyes it looks like an Ascension or Belknap class

TonyG2 wrote:We can exclude the Excelsior and Oberth as having a different nacelle. And the Miranda given the location of the support pylon. So the question is (and I don't know the answer) did the studio make any more ships to fill out the starbase interior for Voyage Home or, as a process of elimination, does it have to be a Connie and it is the viewing angle that is causing the confusion.

The first shot I'm thinking is it something with a single or extra nacelle above the hull Remora, Ascension or Federation classes come to mind

jkb-1 wrote:They had had molds for making nacelles, like the one they blew up on the Reliant, so it's possible that if they found the large Enterprise model too cumbersome to set up for these shots, they might have used a free-floating nacelle. I can even see them cobbling together a support strut for that second shot.

That is possibly the real world explanation

Richard Baker
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Richard Baker » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:46 pm

All this time I have never noticed that Nacelle in the shot before...

There doesn't seem to be any lettering on it like on the Enterprise so it is not just a quick grab of the Refit and composited into the scene.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:19 am

Maybe, it's a new nacelle being prepped, to be used to repair a damaged ship? /grasping at straws

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:21 am

Maybe they were already over the bulk of the ship being passed and this is the inside view of the nacelle on a connie refit. So the perspective would be from over the top of the secondary hull.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

Return to “General Trek”