Kelvin Timeline by Moebius Models

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Kelvin Timeline by Moebius Models

Post by michelalano »

https://www.thetrekcollective.com/2016/0 ... eline.html

I remember seeing this last summer and after some google searching I can't find one single tidbit about these releases or if they're happening at all. Just wondering if anyone here had any inside information - anything - (scale? price range? difference from Revell kits?). I'm not familiar with Moebius models but they look to be pretty high end and I'm excited about these releases. Actually holding off on buying the Revell JJPrise until I find out more about them.

Side note, why do model companies seem to be so tight lipped? Round 2 seems to be equally quiet about anything they release, and I assume it's partly because they had to abandon the Akira model some years ago. But come on, throw us a bone... anything!
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: Kelvin Timeline by Moebius Models

Post by el gato »

They probably have not said anything because they haven't figured out their line of models yet. As to why they're tight-lipped, it might be because R2 used to be very vocal about release dates and upcoming products (to generate buzz and excitement). Then they incurred the wrath from modelers when R2 went on to miss deadlines or drop a product (eg 2500 scale Akira) for this that and the other reason(s). They learned their lesson. Fans complain about not hearing anything, but they're not as vocal.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

I would be interested if they would have a go at some of the other Starfleet ships as seen in the first Abrams movie (albeit they all went kaboooom pretty quickly)but I suspect that there would be insufficient interest for a major manufacture to tool up for those.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

TonyG2 wrote:I would be interested if they would have a go at some of the other Starfleet ships as seen in the first Abrams movie (albeit they all went kaboooom pretty quickly)but I suspect that there would be insufficient interest for a major manufacture to tool up for those.
The DeSoto fleet?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

The DeSoto fleet?
Not familiar with the term. Anything to do with the US Navy's DESOTO patrols off China and North Vietnam in the 1960s?
michelalano

Post by michelalano »

el gato wrote:They probably have not said anything because they haven't figured out their line of models yet. As to why they're tight-lipped, it might be because R2 used to be very vocal about release dates and upcoming products (to generate buzz and excitement). Then they incurred the wrath from modelers when R2 went on to miss deadlines or drop a product (eg 2500 scale Akira) for this that and the other reason(s). They learned their lesson. Fans complain about not hearing anything, but they're not as vocal.
I'm assuming that designing and manufacturing all new models takes years of planning, and if they're sure enough to have a fully painted and lighted enterprise at comicon, they've come at least that far enough to give a few hints. It's just a risk you take as a company with anticipated products. In 8 years of the Kelvin Trek films being out, we've had exactly one model kit available and not even available worldwide. Anticipated release for the Moebius versions is vaguely "early 2017" which is now. I thought they'd at least have some kits to reviewers by now.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

TonyG2 wrote:
The DeSoto fleet?
Not familiar with the term. Anything to do with the US Navy's DESOTO patrols off China and North Vietnam in the 1960s?
An earlier comment of mine that the JJverse Starfleet looks designed by DeSoto.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Often the delay of models introduction is as pointed out before- due to delays by the company involved.

But they also have to see the marketability of said ships. What point to marketing a ship that ultimately ends up not selling well? The companies- like to make money after all.

Which is why folks like Round2 tend to introduce things that Garage Kit manufacturers already came up with.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Also, having one display model painted for a show is totally different from an entire production line being in place to crank out a line of models
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

el gato wrote:Also, having one display model painted for a show is totally different from an entire production line being in place to crank out a line of models
The steel molds can cost millions to produce. So a new model is a serious investment.

Return to “General Trek”