Earth Final Conflict

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Earth Final Conflict

Post by TonyG2 »

I wish I could get interested on this flood of super-hero movies and series that has came around lately. It may be a great source of fun for whose enjoy this kind of stuff. Unfortunately it doesn't make my mind but I already didn't like such themes even when I was a kid. I remember to rather read Disney comics than Marvel/DC!
I know how you feel. I was never much into the DC/Marvel comics when I was a kid. That is in part because they were not that widely available in England during the 70s. I maybe had a couple of dozen DC comics (mainly Superman, Batman etc titles). I don't think I had more than a couple of Marvel magazines although Spiderman did find its way into some non-Marvel English comics.

I mainly bought UK titles such as Lion, Victor and later, 2000AD. Lion & Victor focused mainly on WWII military stories and sports.

In some ways it is a relief not to have been heavily into the DC/Marvel comics as I come to their movies and shows with an open mind. I had no real idea who or what Captain America was supposed to be before the recent movie came out. As for Thor, well I am old enough that my recollection was the alter-ego of a crippled doctor whose walking stick became the hammer. I gather that "origin" has since been re-written.

I enjoy the "superhero" stuff but prefer Sci-Fi. The thing is so much of the "superhero" stuff is sci-fi. Guardians of the Galaxy for example. Or in Legends of Tomorrow, the team fly around in a time/space cruiser. In fact so many of the super heroes in the recent glut of films don't seem to be that super....

Tony Stark/Ironman - not super unless he has his suit on.
Ant Man - likewise
Hawkeye - no super powers just a damn good shot
Black Widow - superb physical condition and training. No super power
Captain America - boarderline position. Granted peak of human ability thanks to chemical treatment
Batman - again, no super powers "just" superb training backed up by a billionaires ability to buy all the tech help he needs (see also Iron Man
Green Arrow - same as for Hawkeye. I gather the new TV show has some super soldier drug enhancements though.
Green Lantern - SciFi. Alien tech lets him do what he does

And so on
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

If you prefer sci-fi as opposed to Superhero stuff I'd suggest Agents of Shield or Agent Carter. As both deal with the more mysterious aspects of life and pretty much allude to the supers without actually engaging them.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
TonyG2
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by TonyG2 »

Agents of Shield or Agent Carter
Got seasons 1 & 2 of Agents of Shield on DVD, have seen season 3 and watching season 4 which is up to about episode 4 over here.

Watched season 1 of Agent Carter on DVD and have season 2 on order.

However Agents of Shield is getting more and more into the super stuff with Sky/Daisy now full fledged Inhuman aka Quake and a number of other Shield agents with powers. And of course they have now added Ghostrider to the series regrettably not the bike riding version played by Nicholas Cage).
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I tried a couple episodes of Agent Carter and it looked OK for me (I really like powerful women) but the series just didn't hook me. I may take a look on it in the future though.

About super-heroes the problem for me is not with the superpowers. I equally hate Ironman and Batman. I think it's me but such stuff seems so childish and silly as martial art and car chases movies. It just bore me to death and I keep looking around rolling eyes. My last attempt on a hero movie was the horrendous Batman x Superman. Now it's official, I definitively quit.

:P

I make a huge exception for Deadpool that is really freaking cool. He's the most politically incorrect hero I ever seen. Loved the movie.

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
wally8472
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by wally8472 »

I chimed into Earth: Final Conflict in its last season when it was on the air. The last season was definitely the weakest. Unfortunately I think the series went astray from the original conception, which isn't that unexpected given that this series was produced after Roddenberry's death.

BUT

The tech in the series was really cool! Interdimensional/portal technology, virtual glass/forcefields, cyber implants/transhumanism as well as biogenetic technology and biological ships. I also find it fascinating that this was a show about an alien presence interfering with humanity that had a long history of doing so, going back to Biblical times. Really before that type of idea went mainstream, which basically resonates with the current ancient alien hypothesis, and current narratives of alien presences on Earth. Whether you believe any of that or not, the show was definitely ahead of its time. Also, this was before Canadian produced television got really good! :D
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

TonyG2 wrote:
Agents of Shield or Agent Carter
Got seasons 1 & 2 of Agents of Shield on DVD, have seen season 3 and watching season 4 which is up to about episode 4 over here.

Watched season 1 of Agent Carter on DVD and have season 2 on order.

However Agents of Shield is getting more and more into the super stuff with Sky/Daisy now full fledged Inhuman aka Quake and a number of other Shield agents with powers. And of course they have now added Ghostrider to the series regrettably not the bike riding version played by Nicholas Cage).
I stand corrected, I just got to the point where Skye got her terragen mist bath.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

NCC1966 wrote:I equally hate Ironman and Batman. I think it's me but such stuff seems so childish and silly as martial art and car chases movies. It just bore me to death and I keep looking around rolling eyes.
Batman... Iron Man... silly?... :shock: :o :jawdrop:

Why do we get along? ;)

Doctor Who (series reboot) is cool. Sci fi with a touch of acerbic commentary
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

el gato wrote:Batman... Iron Man... silly?... :shock: :o :jawdrop:
I mean silly in the sense that it's something that my mind cannot link to real life. I don't like of shows or movies that are too far off of reality.

;)
el gato wrote:Doctor Who (series reboot) is cool. Sci fi with a touch of acerbic commentary
What you call "acerbic commentaries" are exactly what pushed me away from the series. It's OK if you have them here and there but not all the time in every speech. I thought the excessive blabber very straining too my taste. When I downloaded the pilot episode to try it I couldn't go beyond the first 10 minutes!

:?
Thanks,

Yan.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

NCC1966 wrote:
el gato wrote:Batman... Iron Man... silly?... :shock: :o :jawdrop:
I mean silly in the sense that it's something that my mind cannot link to real life. I don't like of shows or movies that are too far off of reality.
But... but.. they've got all of those wonderful toys! If they existed in real life, then these heroes could be plausible.

NCC1966 wrote:
el gato wrote:Doctor Who (series reboot) is cool. Sci fi with a touch of acerbic commentary
What you call "acerbic commentaries" are exactly what pushed me away from the series. It's OK if you have them here and there but not all the time in every speech. I thought the excessive blabber very straining too my taste. When I downloaded the pilot episode to try it I couldn't go beyond the first 10 minutes!
British sci fi is different from American sci fi (not necessarily speaking about just Doctor Who). Generally, it's simultaneously darker and cheeky. You have to appreciate British humor to get the full effect. The main characters do and don't take the situations seriously, and when the writers want to go dark, they really go dark. Way darker than what American writers are willing to try.

Which pilot did you download? Was it the 2005 reboot?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

el gato wrote:But... but.. they've got all of those wonderful toys! If they existed in real life, then these heroes could be plausible.
Yeah, this is the point. I cannot imagine someone using a tight costume and jumping around using such technological toys. For me it doesn't fit to real life. I am not saying that it's not cool. Actually it is and the proof is that so many people like it. It just doesn't make my mind. Whenever I try to watch those movies I get a "meh" expression over my face. Not even Patrick Stewart convinced me to enjoy X-men.

:lol:
el gato wrote:British sci fi is different from American sci fi (not necessarily speaking about just Doctor Who). Generally, it's simultaneously darker and cheeky. You have to appreciate British humor to get the full effect. The main characters do and don't take the situations seriously, and when the writers want to go dark, they really go dark. Way darker than what American writers are willing to try.
I believe you. And I don't see any problem in humor itself. What really bothers me is the excessive blabber. See, they have to have the main speeches and still have to find a place to stuff in the jokes. The result is the characters talking non stop and very quickly. Plus, there is another fact that you are not considering: I am a foreigner whose native language is NOT English. Also I don't live in a English spoken language country. It means that I don't have a sharp English to get things just listening so basically I watch all of the shows with subtitles (Brazilian Portuguese). Imagine how overwhelming is to have three or four lines of text in EVERY subtitle! You end "reading" the movie instead to watch it. Plus, there is a lot of jokes based on slang, regional expressions, national personalities, country political facts, etc, etc, that doesn't make any sense for whose doesn't live in a country context. In short, what I mean is that surely it may be delightful for natives but definitively it's not fun for foreigners like me that not master English and that do not knows the subtleties of the country from where the show comes. There is a new American show called "I Zombie" that suffers of the very same problem. I downloaded the pilot but couldn't pass the first 15 minutes. It's a shame because either "Dr. Who" as well "I Zombie" both have a nice thematics and I really feel frustrated to not being able to enjoy it. To prove you that I am not a non-humor person, I just finished to watch the first season of "Santa Clarita Diet" that is a zombie show with a lot of humor and loved it because they managed to put the jokes in the right amount...

;)
el gato wrote:Which pilot did you download? Was it the 2005 reboot?
I can't tell you...

:?
Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “General Trek”